Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 19:29   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Choosing between practical and a cozy

The Union 36 isn't exactly a Bob Perry design. Hood review and history here
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...ew_5879-1.html
Old 21-10-2019, 19:41   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Strongly recommend you learn a little bit about how to inspect a boat before you spend money on a surveyor.

You might start here .....
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 21-10-2019, 20:00   #33

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

For replacing a teak deck, unless you want new teak, you might consider Sea-Dek. I've had it on my 43' boat for three years in a few areas and liked it so much that this past season, all of the exterior carpet was removed and replaced with Sea-Dek. It's nice on bare feet, non-slip, not hot in the sun (warm but not uncomfortable), and seems to wear well on a boat that is used almost every day from May to late September.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 16:36   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 456, 14m

Hi. This probably outside your parameter of thoughts but i have a Beneteau 456 for sale in New Zealand. I am wanting US$100,000 or near offer We have sailed around the South Pacific including Soth East Asia over the last fourteen years constantly upgrading to our wants in that time. All the home comforts from automatic front loader washing machine to water maker and all offshore equipment, ready to sail off now. While coming to New Zealand may be in your plans there are many advantages, our wonderful cruising grounds while getting familiar with the boat. I am happy to even crew to your Island destination if required.Free berthage in our Marina while getting acclimatised to the boat.
Check out Beneteau456 -Sailing Magazine for their review

If any interest my Email: dkbooker44@ gmail.com
piedamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 16:28   #35

Boat: Freedom 38

DeValency mentioned several other brands to consider - among them Freedom. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Freedoms. We have lived aboard & cruise a Freedom 38. Amazing boat & no chain plates...
Happy hunting,
Bob
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 17:08   #36

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaverCop View Post
...a more coastal cruising boat...just running down the west coast and out to the Caribbean for some cruising I imagine it would do just fine...
West coast of the USA/Central America and through the Panama Canal whereafter everywhere is upwind across the Caribbean in a 'coastal cruiser'; is that proposal based on personal experience?

Given that the OP doesn't yet have a boat, then if their proposed destination in the short to medium term is the Caribbean they would IMO be better off looking to buy their boat in the Carib or at worst the US east coast rather than the west coast (The canal transit price's recently gone through the roof anyway). Sailing up and down the islands in a 'coastal cruiser' is certainly feasible - lots of them are doing just that, but if the OP's intention is to head further afield, then perhaps not? We saw an awful lot of those Morgan Out Island yachts in the Bahamas and Caribbean and they looked a good budget-option for cruising in those waters, but I think we've only seen one since we reached French Polynesia.
Old 23-10-2019, 21:49   #37

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
West coast of the USA/Central America and through the Panama Canal whereafter everywhere is upwind across the Caribbean in a 'coastal cruiser'; is that proposal based on personal experience?

Given that the OP doesn't yet have a boat, then if their proposed destination in the short to medium term is the Caribbean they would IMO be better off looking to buy their boat in the Carib or at worst the US east coast rather than the west coast (The canal transit price's recently gone through the roof anyway). Sailing up and down the islands in a 'coastal cruiser' is certainly feasible - lots of them are doing just that, but if the OP's intention is to head further afield, then perhaps not? We saw an awful lot of those Morgan Out Island yachts in the Bahamas and Caribbean and they looked a good budget-option for cruising in those waters, but I think we've only seen one since we reached French Polynesia.
I agree with you on getting to the Carib from Panama. I would purchase on the US East coast long before the west.

Don't agree on the Panama Canal statement. For boats under 50 ft the price doubled, but it is still a good value. Think of the costs of doing the alternative.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 04:48   #38

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Agree with both comments and add that the inventory in the eastern coast and Caribbean is by far higher than the west coast.

If you find a great deal close to home in the west coast the $800 Panama Canal fee (for <50’), as high as it is, is marginal in comparison to the cost of travel etc. to purchase and refit a boat located 5,000+ miles from home.
My experience, apart the time factor (the most expensive and painful cost), the added direct cost for refitting in the Caribbean over what it would cost in New England (which isn’t known for the low boatyard costs) has passed $6,000 for the last 5 months and I’m not done yet. Some buyers simply move and live close to the boatyard during the refitting stage - wasn’t a viable option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I agree with you on getting to the Carib from Panama. I would purchase on the US East coast long before the west.

Don't agree on the Panama Canal statement. For boats under 50 ft the price doubled, but it is still a good value. Think of the costs of doing the alternative.

Tags
cal