Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2024, 17:49   #1

Circumnavigation

Good day all. I’ve been looking for a capable sailboat for a reasonable price, my goal is to start slow like sailing around lake Champlain but my real goal is more like sailing around the world. Because of limited resources I am trying to get the perfect boat on the first shot. According to my budget and a lot of research I’ve come down to these 3 boats, Bristol 35.5 , Pacific Seacraft 34 and Cape Dory 36. I would really appreciate some thoughts on these.
Thank you.
Motesier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 04:16   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Circumnavigation

IMHO, I would say those 3 are all good examples of what you are looking for. Perhaps the PS is probably the most purpose designed for the task. I think they will all perform similarly. Layouts are pretty similar too, but there will be subtle differences that you may like or not. Definitely try to get on each of them to see what they are like. Maybe one has a place that you just don't fit. Engine access is very important too.

Southern Cross 35 is also a similar boat, although I am not a fan of canoe sterns. There may be others but you are probably aware of them as you have been researching already.

What you will want to look for is condition. Most important thing of all ! Without knowing your budget - just be aware that all of these boats are likely to be older and may or may not have been well maintained. And that is the most important thing. Look long and hard.

You want to look for things like new sails, new rigging, newer engine, updates electronics, so on and so forth. You will want a watermaker and solar power. Of these items my preference would be a recent engine with very low hours, as that would be the most expensive of them to do. Of course you will want a portion of your budget for whatever upgrades and maintenance you find you want.

Old 22-06-2024, 14:01   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Motesier,

I would agree that a watermaker is a nice thing to have, but one can also learn how to use one's tankage frugally. Our longest passage was from Cabo San Lucas to the Marquesas, and we did okay with our tank water, plus a 5 gal sunshower, and carried 5 gal in reserve, which we didn't get into. We did wash dishes in salt water, and only rinsed off with fresh; and other people who were circumnavigating at the time, simply dried the dishes and then washed the dish towels when they arrived at their new destination. At any rate, I'd say the watermaker is nice to have, and a superb back up, but not exactly essential.. We eventually did install a small one, enough for emergencies. It worked okay, was a bit of a pita. Eventually broke.

Ann
Old 22-06-2024, 14:19   #4

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

1 step at a time, start by sailing a boat. Any of those boats and many similar brands are fine but it really depends on their condition and how they are outfitted.
Whatever your reasonable boat price is you'll probably spend the same amount fixing things that need it and outfitting it for long distance cruising.
I'm on boat 4 and have only done a Pacific crossing and back, a 41 hunter.
Remember sailing your own boat somewhere is the most expensive way to get there free.
Windpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 16:22   #5

Thanks all for your recommendations. I forgot to mention that the Bristol 35.5 I have in mind is the centerboard model because of the shallow draft. But are centerboards dependable ? Is there any concerns about a centerboard on long distance voyages ?
From what I can see those 3 boats are available on the market for around 50k plus probably close to that amount for outfitting.
Thanks again.
Motesier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 16:56   #6

Boat: Lafitte 44- sold December, 2018,Previous Wauequiez Hood 38 and many more

The Wauquiez Hood 38 ( especially) Mark 2 version is a very capable vessel with fantastic build quality - I sailed one for 11 years and sold only because i wanted more load ,fuel,water capacity
Capt Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation