Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 15:47   #31

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Circumnavigation - Advice from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That’s interesting. The only point that I felt had ANY merit was number 2.
Absolutely. Although this is nothing to do with choosing a boat : you can do this after buying the boat, when the weather doesn't suit. Getting instruments and AIS (numbers 3 and 7) are subsequent priorities, but unless you're pretty lucky these are not going to be ideal unless they're new and suit you, so you will be replacing them anyway most likely. The rest are strictly optional. I wouldn't spend a cent on 4, 5, or 6 whatever happened.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 15:59   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^^

That makes three of us...

Jim
Old 11-08-2019, 16:01   #33

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Absolutely. Although this is nothing to do with choosing a boat : you can do this after buying the boat, when the weather doesn't suit. Getting instruments and AIS (numbers 3 and 7) are subsequent priorities, but unless you're pretty lucky these are not going to be ideal unless they're new and suit you, so you will be replacing them anyway most likely. The rest are strictly optional. I wouldn't spend a cent on 4, 5, or 6 whatever happened.
Hmm... yes, I agree, 3 and 7 have some merit. Not essential, but good common sense.
Old 11-08-2019, 16:19   #34

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Brit View Post
We started our circumnavigation eight great years ago, and we received the following advice before setting out. We think it was good advice.
1. Buy a sailboat that's 45 ft or more.
2. Spend as much time learning to be a mechanic as learning to sail.
3. Must have all standard items like chart plotter, VHF radio, auto pilot, compass, dodger, Bimini, dinghy, outboard motor.
3. Must have a water maker
4. Must have a bow thruster
5. Must have an SSB radio
6. Must have a transformer so the boat can accept 1THRUSTER 10 volts or 220/240 volts
7. Must have AIS

Solar panels are very helpful - we have 660 watts.

The sillest answer yet ,
45 ft for what a family of 4
mechanic nonsesene a good DIY person and books
water maker on a boat less than 30 feet what are yuou needing a bath every day
BowThruster
SSB nope if anything a sat phone
AIS , rather have Radar if anything
660 watts of solar , this is because you have a big boat full of gadgets that need power less gadgets less power, more freedom

A decent boat , a cheap laptop, tablet , radar , VHF and Sat phone , usual instruments , Depth etc and go,

Experience, go and find out, if you have a Decent attitude , like learning espically from mistakes go for it.

My wife has no sailing experince and she has just finished hert first 500 miles helming a 42 ft boat , anochored her , moored her , berthed her and navigated through 50 knots of wind , 2 storms and a canal no issues because she has a can do attitude and learns , books are good , then go out and do

When I was a lad I went camping in a 2 man tent with a little gas stove, people think they need the fridge freezer now and the biggest tent money can buy

When I got my first car it was a 1977 VW Camper , passed my test 2 weeks before and then of to Europe for 3 months chasing the surf
no ABS no Sat Nav no Air con,
I still got there and seen the same as those in their Winabegos
If your older and need the comforts of life and the easy of handling a boat then certain things are needed , if your younger and have a great attitude the world is your oyster and go for it you will either Die with the memories or Die trying . or the worst option IMHO Die wondering what it would have been like
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:43   #35

In foul weather and even the trades, a sailing vessel under 30' is infinitely more difficult to handle than something like, let's say, a 38' heavy displacement full keel double ender. Regardless, self-steering, GPS with good chart plotter, Open CPN on computer as a back-up, paper charts if affordable, depth sounder, radio, a course or two in seamanship, piloting, a clss in diesel mechanics or out-board motor repair, a class in dingy racing will familiarize you with the basics of using and trimming your sails, a good open ocean rated life raft, appropriate clothing (raingear, etc.), and, before actually purchasing, an excellent surveyor willing to provide you with a list of "must-have" items (solar panels, steering vane, etc., etc., etc.,) and, when it's all paid for and you're ready to go, a trial sail (assuming you're leaving from Demark) around the UK and back home again.

And then there is the guy who, on a bet and with no experience, bought a derelict 32' cutter and, with nothing more than a quick trip to the grocery store, sailed to Hawaii. With a sextant and, mercifully, a book on how to use it on board, he taught himself how to take noon-sites along the way.

Hint: there are numerous cruising boats out there looking for crew. Many, especially those who don't want the endless inputs from the self-anointed "experienced," are honestly okay with a self-confessed neophyte. This is especially so if the neophyte is willing share expenses.

Maximum reasonable cost of sharing expenses" $300 (US) a month. That, if you have the summer free, is less than a $1,000 (US).

A few months of crewing can save you 100's of thousands of dollars, not to mention your life.
James Entrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 10:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolajAM View Post
Thank you everybody for your answers. I bought an Albin Viggen 24 from 1975 today, and a friend of my father has promised to learn me to sail it. You all gave me some useful further reading.
I love that in the space of three days you've advanced from asking what boats to consider for a circumnavigation to choosing a boat, putting in an offer and making the trade.

Not sure that's necessarily the best approach for everyone, but..

Click image for larger version

Name:	f609689b8136b7e2507326c385b9cfceb7e4850bed6680fef26524f80df7b832.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	197834
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 11:11   #37

Its interesting so many feel strongly using a small boat to cross several oceans is not less desirable than a larger boat. My own experience is different and I wouldn't enjoy long passages as much on a smaller boat.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 07:35   #38

I'm old school. I think about things like what the ballast to displacement ratio is and whether or not the boat can bang into a floating pallet without breaking off a rudder.

Are the hatches positioned so that they can be open for ventilation without getting water below? Are there good sea bunks that will allow the crew to actually get some sleep? You know, stuff like that. You can add electronics or systems to any boat and still just have lipstick on a pig.

https://www.amazon.com/Desirable-Und.../dp/0393033112

The above is a book worth reading. It's a bit dated now but since most of us sail around in in older boats, it is still relevant.

(I see now that I am late to the party and a boat has been selected. Oh well, it's still good reading before deciding whether or not the boat you have is the one you want to sail around the world!)
rvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 08:02   #39

Boat: Goderich 37

I personally think a good self steering is the most important bit of kit you can have if sailing long distances. It does not answer back or need feeding and will work 24/7. better than any crew member.
Go when you get there you will have the experience and a lot of fun along the way.
Andrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 09:32   #40

I suggest you do a Sailing Course with a reputable Sailing School. Once done, give me a shout and we will then consider your next steps. Trust me, as a non sailor this is the intelligent first step.
Peter Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 09:53   #41

Read or listen the book Bumfuzzle
robasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:04   #42

My suggestion would be to read "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham... also check out atomvoyages.com. These are stories of circumnavigations on small boats. Keep in mind that everything on a boat roughly goes up as the cube of the increase in length. Adding just 7 feet to a boat will mean bigger engine, more fuel, heftier rigging, bigger and stronger sails... all this will take that much more effort to try to control... both physically and financially.

My advice: get an old Pearson Triton that doesn't need much work and has a diesel engine... maybe recent sails and not too old rigging. Get a good survey and start fixing the stuff suggested. Go where you feel comfortable... keep doing it. Then go somewhere where you don't feel so comfortable. The boat will make it almost anywhere unless you run her up on a reef... don't.

Find inspiration in "Dove" and details in atomvoyages.com.

Best wishes. Do. it. now!!!

Dick
wa1bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:13   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I built a boat in South Africa and sailed virtually around the world. The only leg I did not sail was the last leg from Australia to South Africa, as I chose to remain in the Pacific ocean due to deteriorating political conditions in South Africa...I wrote a book about my journey, a detailed account of what to expect, the route I took, and dealing with storms, calms etc ..."days of deja vu"

Are you planning to do a solo trip? Think twice about that if you are inexperienced...it is fraught with unforeseen dangers and situations that could prove overwhelming to a sailor, without much experience...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:15   #44

Boat: Gaff rigged sloop, 24'

I would look for a boat that self-steers really well. I circumnavigated on my 24' boat, with outboard rudder, long keel, and bow spirit. The outboard rudder allowed me to fit a very simple but effective self-steering wind vane consisting of a trim tab on the rudder, and a horizontal axis vane connected to the trim tab. The bow spirit allowed it to sail downwind, through variations in wind strength, without too much weather helm. If there is enough wind to sail, then there is enough wind to make the self steering work. I only hand steered under power.

During my travels, I met more than one yachtie that could not get their boat to self steer very well, and it was a constant nuisance for them. In those cases, they had an inboard rudder and wheel steering. I'm not saying that those are bad attributes for a cruiser, but just make sure it self steers well on all points.
NavPak ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:24   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolajAM View Post
Hi,
Which things should I pay attention to when buying a boat to do a circumnavigation? Is there any must-haves and no-goes?
- Nikolaj from Denmark
Nikolaj, There are as many opinions on this as there are sailors. Spending the time to learn for yourself is an important first step. Get time on the water and read as much as you can. For starters join clubs and take time to walk the docks. After you get some water time see if you can crew via sites like crewbay or this one. It is your experience on boats under all types of conditions from anchor to offshore that will inform your own choices as to what to pay attention to. Enjoy the journey and do not wait to get on the water. Even if only sitting on the dock talking to someone afloat.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation