Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 22:58   #76

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Circumnavigation - Advice from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Enjoy the buying...
Enjoy the 'Prep'..
And above alle Enjoy the experience..
How far you get matters not, the joy along the way.. Priceless.
Don't set a goal.. all you get is stress, Life just Happens.
...throwing pearls to the pigs, boatman...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 23:32   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I am guessing here but I’d say that the point is that twin or “bilge” keels allows you to easily careen the boat from time to time. I can do this with my boat but it takes some preparation as everything has to be fastened down and made ready for the angle, such as batteries, engine oil, etc.
Could consider some beaching legs.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 23:45   #78

Always quite liked the built-in legs on the IDBmarine Malango and Mojito yachts along with their tender garage in the rear.

cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 23:48   #79

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That’s interesting. The only point that I felt had ANY merit was number 2.
Same here!

I am actually with Kenomac, no experience and circumnavigation should not be mentioned together.

I would just buy a boat, smallish, maybe 24-27', learn to sail, get some experience and then think about what you need for a circumnavigation. If you buy a cheap first boat you can sell it again and buy the "right" boat later, when you are sufficiently proficient.

And then you will notice, whatever boat you have is 3' too short
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:09   #80

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
Always quite liked the built-in legs on the IDBmarine Malango and Mojito yachts along with their tender garage in the rear.

There was a guy I met in Madagascar that had sailed there on one of these ,it was very cool and fast. I saw myself on som8like that in the future.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:53   #81

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
There was a guy I met in Madagascar that had sailed there on one of these ,it was very cool and fast. I saw myself on som8like that in the future.
These look like nice boats. Light, fast.
Means slightly uncomfortable ride, but shorter time:-)
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:20   #82

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Same here!

I am actually with Kenomac, no experience and circumnavigation should not be mentioned together.

I would just buy a boat, smallish, maybe 24-27', learn to sail, get some experience and then think about what you need for a circumnavigation. If you buy a cheap first boat you can sell it again and buy the "right" boat later, when you are sufficiently proficient.

And then you will notice, whatever boat you have is 3' too short
So how many boats did you buy & sell to get to your 73'er?!! Which looks awesome, btw. Got any more pics of her?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:25   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Same here!

And then you will notice, whatever boat you have is 3' too short[emoji3]
I'm not sure about that,people aren't equal, some have more confidence and abilities than others.

I've met some remarkable people that started from scratch, my mate Dustin who is missing one arm and one leg comes to mind, taught him self via a Utube and took of by himself, 2 1/2 oceans later the guys a legend.

Some can just go.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:24   #84

Boat: a sailing boat

The point is that nobody has relevant experience in circumnavigating, except the far and apart few who have done it!

To everybody else, it is THEIR FIRST TIME. You learn how by doing, just like dancing.

RTW sailing involves a lot of offshore work. And offshore work is way easier than sailing inshore where cargo ships, fishers, rocks and shallows check your progress.

I think anybody who can sail a beach dinghy in all sorts of weather and push two buttons on a gps can circumnavigate.

More skills, sailing and otherwise = better. Yes.

Just trying to avoid the opposite view that one needs any kind of extraterrestrial knowledge or experience sort of things.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:51   #85

Sometimes the old and experienced guys judge the newbies Ambition by ignoring the fact That peoples abilities to learn Are different.

Some Are naturals. They can Do Things almost instantly others need years of Training for.

Some need to read a book three Times With slow speed...other flip through it and wi remember Every detail.

Some need first Hand experience for Every aspect...others can make very accurate estimates

Therefore... Learning to sail is in my eyes the less critical factor.
Learning about oneselve is more vital.

How afraid is the Crew in storms?
Can you sleep well in heavy swell?
Can you concentrate on night watch?
Are you ok With solitude?
Do you get along With your Partner on very limited space?
How much Stress Do Material failures put on you?
Do you take pride in solving problems.?
Are you GOOD in solving Problems?
Does your Partner trust your completence?

Etc etc

I did Not think about long distance cruisung until i found the right girl who can cope very very easily With the Situations on Board.

So... In my eyes.... Experience Yes... But Not in trimming sails... But With your Personal needs aboard.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:43   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibetitsthisway View Post
Sometimes the old and experienced guys judge the newbies Ambition by ignoring the fact That peoples abilities to learn Are different.

Some Are naturals. They can Do Things almost instantly others need years of Training for.

Some need to read a book three Times With slow speed...other flip through it and wi remember Every detail.

Some need first Hand experience for Every aspect...others can make very accurate estimates

Therefore... Learning to sail is in my eyes the less critical factor.
Learning about oneselve is more vital.

How afraid is the Crew in storms?
Can you sleep well in heavy swell?
Can you concentrate on night watch?
Are you ok With solitude?
Do you get along With your Partner on very limited space?
How much Stress Do Material failures put on you?
Do you take pride in solving problems.?
Are you GOOD in solving Problems?
Does your Partner trust your completence?

Etc etc

I did Not think about long distance cruisung until i found the right girl who can cope very very easily With the Situations on Board.

So... In my eyes.... Experience Yes... But Not in trimming sails... But With your Personal needs aboard.
Great post Ralph, very wise.
Old 02-10-2019, 19:31   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

Except one thing.

Sailing is one of those places where experience counts and experience is build over TIME.

So nobody is becoming a good sailor in a week, month, or a year.

Maybe in a year one can get to grips. maybe in three to five years one gets pretty good at it.

You are a quick learner, you are a slow learner, you cant force a basketball into a pingpong ball.

How many people today are willing to invest three years of life into anything?

???

Oh have not you heard of average attention span getting shorter with each generation?

And the other things: the social media fads like personality, partner trust and solitude ... are overrated (my opinion, and my full respect to the poster above of course). Boats do not sink because of personality or trust. Much more often because an idiot did not take his time to look at a paper map and note there was a rock there. BECAUSE IT DID NOT SHOW ON NAVIONICS.

True, Instagram navionics 1mio likes, paper maps (no Instagram) zero likes.

Social media hipster era pseudo sailors in their designer wool caps and neatly trimmed beards teach us on youtube what it is like to sail the world. My ass.

Search your soul and meditate as much as you like. You sure will learn a lot about yourself. Then go sail some, cross few oceans. Discover land based visions of what it is all about are next to worthless. It is all blood, sweat and salt. And you either dig it or dig it not. There is no try.

1. Learn sailing.
2. Get a decent boat.
3. Go.

One two three, like a b c. A natural or not a natural, Jackson spent THOUSANDS of hours sailing, errrrrr rehearsing. Same thing. Baseball pingball who cares.

As simple as that.

>>> END OF RANT ;-) >>>

Love to all ya!

Cheers,
b.

PS Dream BIG, work HARDER.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:43   #88

What Would your school teacher say?

Good work. Nice ideas. But wrong topic. Grade c for That.

You Are absolutely right... To become a good (!) sailer it takes years. A good sailer will win or at least be able to compete in races. A good sailor will reduce the risk for a boat in Storm significantly. But That is not what the to wants.

But you dont need to be a good sailor to get your boat from europe to St Lucia and from. St Lucia to Miami.

Ive done it. And what we did "sailing" Was fishing!

I did way more intensive sailing in the med.

If you wanna go the easy routes across the ocean you need to be aware of you and your Partner. Thats it.

Well... And Navigating With paper in Addition to some fancy app is not a sign of beeing a good sailor.. It is merely a sign of healthy risk awareness.

Sailer who rely on Electronic alone Are.... Stupid. Dare i say. Actually... I do not have Electronics. Only paper.
You dont need Electronics for coastal cruising.

Waste of fmoney.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:46   #89

Boat: X442

It seems to take so many different skills to comfortably skipper a sailing yacht, so would not know where to start in response to the OP. But if I had to name one skill/experience which I would not want to be without then it is the many years of racing around the pins on ponds, lakes & seas in a Laser. Key message: learn how to sail well in a dinghy.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52   #90

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Except one thing.

Sailing is one of those places where experience counts and experience is build over TIME.

So nobody is becoming a good sailor in a week, month, or a year.

Maybe in a year one can get to grips. maybe in three to five years one gets pretty good at it.

You are a quick learner, you are a slow learner, you cant force a basketball into a pingpong ball.

How many people today are willing to invest three years of life into anything?

???

Oh have not you heard of average attention span getting shorter with each generation?

And the other things: the social media fads like personality, partner trust and solitude ... are overrated (my opinion, and my full respect to the poster above of course). Boats do not sink because of personality or trust. Much more often because an idiot did not take his time to look at a paper map and note there was a rock there. BECAUSE IT DID NOT SHOW ON NAVIONICS.

True, Instagram navionics 1mio likes, paper maps (no Instagram) zero likes.

Social media hipster era pseudo sailors in their designer wool caps and neatly trimmed beards teach us on youtube what it is like to sail the world. My ass.

Search your soul and meditate as much as you like. You sure will learn a lot about yourself. Then go sail some, cross few oceans. Discover land based visions of what it is all about are next to worthless. It is all blood, sweat and salt. And you either dig it or dig it not. There is no try.

1. Learn sailing.
2. Get a decent boat.
3. Go.

One two three, like a b c. A natural or not a natural, Jackson spent THOUSANDS of hours sailing, errrrrr rehearsing. Same thing. Baseball pingball who cares.

As simple as that.

>>> END OF RANT ;-) >>>

Love to all ya!

Cheers,
b.

PS Dream BIG, work HARDER.
What a lot of poppycock

Only those that are not good learners , fast adaptors , not willing to push boundaries, not willing to go the extra mile and push the limits of their own tolerances are those that take years to become good at something and they only belive they are good because they have the so called experience , expericence can come in a year for some it may take a lifetime , do not ever underestimate the power of the human and their motivation , those that are negative to the idea of people being able to compete or to do more than they have with less so called experince , are the ones that have not adapted and pushed the limits but have plodded along thinking that they are masters of all , get real , I have achived and punched way above my so called intelligence and experince through out my life , wining awards and getting to the top very quickly , why because I do not know when to stop pushing and learning every day, so all you so called all seeing expericened sea dogs I applaud you for there are those out there that are at their peak but a vast majority are sitting on their back ends beliving their own hype and thinking that it is never possible to be good at anything unless you have 30 years experince bollocks
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation