Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 15:15   #1

Classic CAL 30 with Small Outboard

Aloha,

I am looking into buying a 1965 classic C-30. I noticed it has a 9.9 hp outboard on it. Usually, C-30 comes with 30hp inboard engine. Maybe the outboard is just a "kicker".

Would anyone out there buy a boat like this with only a small outboard like that as the only aux power?

Mahalo
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 15:18   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Classic CAL 30 with small outboard

well... depending on the price and condition I *might* buy it. But I would immediacy replace/repower.

A 15 hp outboard would do the job I expect, handily.

We have a Cal 28 and the 6.5 it came with left us woefully underpowered and dangerously at the whim of our windage...

We replaced with a mercury 15 hp and love how easily she now handles in tight quarters.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 17:57   #3

Thanks.

I'll have to calculate how much to negotiate down for the missing 30hp replaced with a honda 9.9. It's not just a matter of power. Also the fact of having a boat designed for an inboard now with an outboard.
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:21   #4

I sail an Endurance 36 of 18,550 lbs. with an Evinrude 9.9. hp as the only power thing on my boat. Motor pushes, depending on conditions, anywhere between 4.5 to 6 knots.
In my opinion there is no need for more power, and you will not believe the comfort of having the oiler out my cabins! Also, if you do not know anything about weather, staging, and sailing with a good forecast, there will be no H.P. enough!
...is all good!
car romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:33   #5

Boat: csy 37

easy. the inboard died, the previous owner saw the price of a new inboard at 5 to 10 thousand, and decided it would be cheaper to put on an outboard. i've done the same.

is it a good idea? depends on where and how you sail. the nice thing about an outboard is that when it fails and you can't fix it you can just take it off and bring it to the shop instead of paying a mechanic $100+ an hour. and when it really fails, you can just buy a new one....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:48   #6

Boat: 29'

Outboard propellors are not as deep and are further aft compared to an inboard's and can pitch right out of the water when it's choppy.Or even UNDER-water.I've seen boats with snorkeled ob's.... In my experience, they are often useless if it's not calm.
Be sure to check if the inboard is salvageable and bargain accordingly.If,it's junk,it is a task to replace it.
If the inboard has already been removed,that's less work for you,but I'd ask where it is.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:03   #7

just to add,an outboard on a dinghy never pitches out but you can see that if you scale a given pitch angle from an 8 foot to 30 feet,the amount of "lift" at the boat's ends increases....30 feet is definitely pushing it .
Old 16-01-2012, 09:17   #8

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Re: Classic CAL 30 with Small Outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
Would anyone out there buy a boat like this with only a small outboard like that as the only aux power?
I would. I have a 28' Pearson Triton and used a Nissan 9.8 HP outboard hung on a bracket on the transom for 8 years. I loved it. The motor would easily push the boat at hull speed. The prop would occasionally come out of the water if there was a significant chop on the bay. Maintenance was easy. It never let me down.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:46   #9

Re: Classic CAL 30 with Small Outboard

I have an OB too,but as onestepcsy37 says,it just depends on where,when and how you expect to use it.

Tags
cal, outboard