Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 10:27   #1

Cleaning stainless steel water tanks

I have two water tanks in stainless steel. I use a filter for the water from the marina when I refill them. I use this water to flush my spectra water maker as well. I just got the water maker installed and was wondering what is the safest way to clean the tanks without compromising the water maker when I flush it. Thanks.
downwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:40   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Cleaning stainless steel water tanks

No chlorine in the membrane. I save a 5 gallon bucket when I make water for flushing.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:08   #3

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Cleaning stainless steel water tanks

How do you propose to clean your water tanks?

As was mentioned, chlorine will degrade your watermaker membrane. We've filled our water tanks sometimes at marinas and I use an activated charcoal filter to filter input water. That should take out the chlorine. And, my Spectra has a separate inline activated charcoal filter for back flushes.

If you're cleaning your tanks without chlorine, I think you will be okay. If you're using chlorine, then, when you're finished cleaning, you will want to rinse out the water tanks liberally with activated charcoal filtered water. This should get you back to being good.

Tags
cleaning, stainless steel, steel, tanks, water