Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2023, 06:56   #1

Cleaning up lines in cockpit

I had my boat rerigged recently. I conservatively estimated the lengths of each line I needed and ended up with mountains of extra line in the cockpit. I'd like to trim what I don't need, but don't want to cut too much. I'll keep the long halyards because I may need them to haul out a dinghy (or person). And someone suggested a good rule of thumb for jib sheets is 1.5-1.75 the length of the boat. What about the rest? I have miles of extra mainsheet, topping lift, and traveler lines. Any advice on how to figure what I need to keep?
kdeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Cleaning up lines in cockpit

Yes. In each case extend the line to its maximum use length. So, the main halyard for example trails in the water a bit for picking up a very wet person. The main sheet extends to the boom being 90 degrees from the center line. In each case, then add what you feel you need for handling and preventing the line getting away from you. Cut and whip (or whip and cut). Go sailing.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:00   #3

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

When I needed to order line for my then new to me boat, I used a scaled copy of plans published on line. I did as tkeithlu mentioned, I calc'd length of boom at 90 degrees, multiplied by block runs and added length from main sheet tack to anywhere in the 'pit. I did the same for jib sheets. I used published data as well as scaled dimensions for halyard as well.
Very little excess line in the 'pit and when sails are down, I have e ought to cleat off the halyard with a.nice tail left over.
Better too much than too little! A couple bux "wasted" on a few feet of line is a helluvva lot better than coming up short a d having to buy another whole length.
AFA too much "clutter"? Coil it neatly or , as I do underway, toss it on seating at back corners of the 'pit, since I'll be needing it in a few minutes anyway.
HTH
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 13:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You can buy or make rope bags to corral excess line, also. If you make 'em yourself, make sure they can drain out water from spray or rain.

We use them. However, if you're facing a long stretch hard on the wind, it can be more convenient to just coil and stuff in a cockpit coaming pocket, leaving it set up for the next tack.

Ann
Old 01-03-2023, 13:38   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I like these for coils. Low profile, nothing to hook, and no holes.

https://unitedyachting.com/wp-conten..._-_CW_ad-1.jpg

A little extra length means you can trim them every other year to move wear spots. Applicable to halyards, sheets, and furling lines. An extra 6 feet can double their useful life, particularly halyards, which wear at the masthead and in jammers.

Tags
cleaning, cockpit