Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 18:42   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Clear or Frosted Portlights

I'm replacing my 40 year old fixed frosted white acrylic port-lights. I was thinking about going with a solution as close as possible to the originals, except using clear acrylic. I'd like to hear the opinions of folk with actual experience.

I thought it would be nice to see out. Are there significant disadvantages of clear material, like: lack of privacy, glare, or heat? Any other considerations?
Old 05-04-2017, 19:32   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: Clear or Frosted Portlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I'm replacing my 40 year old fixed frosted white acrylic port-lights. I was thinking about going with a solution as close as possible to the originals, except using clear acrylic. I'd like to hear the opinions of folk with actual experience.

I thought it would be nice to see out. Are there significant disadvantages of clear material, like: lack of privacy, glare, or heat? Any other considerations?
My 1980 lancer has 10 port lights. Six have been replaced by the previous owner. I have the the remaining 4 and all are frosted. My concern is how brittle they are and fear a large wave could shatter one or more. Also the leak factor with old gaskets. For privacy with the newer clear port lights I have cut up a car windshield sun shield (silver plastic bubble wrap) and it fits tightly in the frame and blocks heat and sunlight. The new ports are nice to look out also. I'm waiting to replace the old ones as to many other projects right now and time is limited. Sigh, one of these days.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 19:36   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
My 1980 lancer has 10 port lights. Six have been replaced by the previous owner. I have the the remaining 4 and all are frosted. My concern is how brittle they are and fear a large wave could shatter one or more. Also the leak factor with old gaskets. For privacy with the newer clear port lights I have cut up a car windshield sun shield (silver plastic bubble wrap) and it fits tightly in the frame and blocks heat and sunlight. The new ports are nice to look out also. I'm waiting to replace the old ones as to many other projects right now and time is limited. Sigh, one of these days.
P.S. My old 27 footer had 6 bronze framed ports with thick glass. I loved them and wish they were still put on boats as standard equipment.
Cost to much I'm sure.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 20:05   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are various hues of acrylic, & polycarb that let in lots of light, but next to no heat, of which I'm a fan. And if you go with a polymer, & it's edges are exposed, be sure to add an anti-UV coating to said edges.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 20:29   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

For privacy, go with tinted. But night time you'll still need curtains
Old 05-04-2017, 20:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
For privacy, go with tinted. But night time you'll still need curtains
^^^^
Not only two choices
Clear - too much light

frosted - can't see out

tinted - best of both worlds, and like 99% of other boats, gee, wonder why
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:38   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Not only two choices
I was just on a boat where I discovered another choice.

They're called CloZures, although they were previously called Peek-a-Boo.

Whatever the name, they worked great. I'm planning to order the free sample they offer for my own boat, and assuming it fits, I'll be buying more.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:01   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:

I dislike having curtains on the ports below. Just more clutter. If you have frosted acrylic, you don't need curtains. They will let in lots of light and you'll have privacy too.

Personally, I don't care if someone can see me below, but the (now ex) wife felt differently.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:09   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

Are you sure they are not frosted due to age? I replaced my 30 year-old Bomar hatches a few years ago as the acrylic had clouded to the point of being frosted.

I would never go with frosted, as i think it's almost a safety hazard. I often look out of mine if I hear something unusual from outside. As far as privacy goes, I don't care if someone can see me from the shoulders up lol.

As for clear vs. tinted, I think that's a function of how light your interior is to begin with. Many older boat interiors with fewer/smaller port lights can use all the light they can get
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:16   #10

I see no reason fro frosted other than maybe the head. What's the point of portlites if you cant see out? They are terrible for windflow.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Keep in mind too that some colors seem to allow in more light than even clear materials do. So that if you need to brighten up the boat's insides... And given the belowdecks a makeover in terms of colors & fabrics can do amazing things to alter her atmosphere. Especially on older boats with lots of teak that can get to feeling cave like.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:46   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

LOL. Thanks all... What was I thinking? I the obvious option of tinted transparent is clearly better
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04   #13

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I was just on a boat where I discovered another choice.

They're called CloZures, although they were previously called Peek-a-Boo.

Whatever the name, they worked great. I'm planning to order the free sample they offer for my own boat, and assuming it fits, I'll be buying more.
I also installed the CloZures on my 10 portlites. They are great and you can get the regular model or a blackout model for use in sleeping areas.
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:30   #14

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I think we have 13 portlights on our boat. We replaced the glass with smoked lexan and it's great. We can easily see out but it's difficult to see in, so gives some privacy even without curtains. The lexan is very strong; stronger than the glass it replaced.
I bought 15 new lenses and the total cost was less than 200$US.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:35   #15

Window tint at lowes / used on homes and can be removed / dark to lite tint / on shatter proof glass or plastic.
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portlights