Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 21:21   #106

Re: Clipper Marine ?

Wow, what a thread. So 5 years after first posting my curiosity and mentioning my scout. I still have the scout and have yet to buy a boat . And, two german cars (MB300D and a 500SEL) have come and gone form my vehicular stable. I found this googling around about hobie 33's, catalina 25's and "trailer sailer" and there was my name. I'd completely forgotten. I also didn't know that crealock made a 32, and having re read some criticisms, including of the rivets in the deck join, I thought I'd volunteer that I actually have a lot of experience with a cm26 pop top model.

In the 80's my sainted mother bought one for the family and I spent many blissful weeks as a teen on puget sound (often with nothing but teenage friends) in heavy fall weather. I watched those rivets during storms without any problem (never saw one break or crack, no leaks). And what maintenance got done was pretty much done by me. Perhaps I was courting death, although it never seemed that way to me. Our hull never flexed (it was the tops whose wood core was supposed to rot, that never happened either). The clipper was a lot of fun.
boydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 00:12   #107

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydk View Post
Wow, what a thread. So 5 years after first posting my curiosity and mentioning my scout. I still have the scout and have yet to buy a boat . And, two german cars (MB300D and a 500SEL) have come and gone form my vehicular stable. I found this googling around about hobie 33's, catalina 25's and "trailer sailer" and there was my name. I'd completely forgotten. I also didn't know that crealock made a 32, and having re read some criticisms, including of the rivets in the deck join, I thought I'd volunteer that I actually have a lot of experience with a cm26 pop top model.

In the 80's my sainted mother bought one for the family and I spent many blissful weeks as a teen on puget sound (often with nothing but teenage friends) in heavy fall weather. I watched those rivets during storms without any problem (never saw one break or crack, no leaks). And what maintenance got done was pretty much done by me. Perhaps I was courting death, although it never seemed that way to me. Our hull never flexed (it was the tops whose wood core was supposed to rot, that never happened either). The clipper was a lot of fun.

Thanks for your update!
Old 24-02-2014, 09:23   #108

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

I found this thread after going to look at a 1973 Clipper Marine 26 that has been sitting in someones yard in a little village here in Costa Rica. I don't know if I want to take on the project and buy it, but an interesting footnote is that the current owner bought the boat from Shane Acton, who is well known for circumnavigating in an 18 foot boat in the 70s. I guess he really went upscale by buying a 26 footer. Sadly he passed away at the time the current owner bought the boat.
Old 24-02-2015, 17:14   #109

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Well to keep this thread going, I recently purchased a 32' Clipper Marine Sloop, no aft cabin. A 1977 model and after working on it every day for the past 3 weeks. I can't find a problem. I looks like it has never had a leak in the cabin. The only problem I have had to deal with besides the engine is the plywood under flooring over the bilge is pretty weak and rotten. The po drained his ice box ice box into the bilge and there was not an auto switch for the bilge. If he didn't flip the switch, the water just stayed there. That problem has been resolved and the 25 hp Yamaha is now running perfectly. I will be taking her out for the first time in 6 days. This is the second boat I have owned with the riveted hull deck joint. I have never had a problem with my MacGeagor and I can't see a problem with the CM32. For a boat that is 38 years old, This thin is great!
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 19:56   #110

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Congrats on the find! The only people that seem to complain about CMs are the people that have never been close to one, or close to one in good condition. More CM info at www.clippermarine.org & www.clipper-sailor.net The last web site has original drafting sketches of CMs.
Old 23-05-2015, 18:59   #111

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

All, Very helpful information despite the differing opinions & comments. I now know I could easily trailer one with my 3500 hauling capacity van & tongue. And also not to plan any serous off shore sojourns with an MK26. And a lot of things to check when I look at one.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:24   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This thread is a testimony to me that anything that floats can be loved. I am just waiting for one of you fans to circumnavigate. If you can trust a Clipper at a 1000 fathoms of cold water...there be the rub.
Anyway- I sure learned a lot about Clippers and Mac's!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 22:06   #113

I just feel in love with a CM26 after surveying it face-to face. Sailboat data just doesn't capture the possibilities. After panning Pop-tops and swing keels I found what I was looking for, when I didn't know I was looking for it. Almost got the first happiest day under my belt. Thanks posters and Bloggers. Thank you internet.
Gericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:46   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gericks.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 21:02   #115

I tried that site,registered and it won't let me on?? I tried twice with different E-mail addresses.
54hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 17:53   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54hollywood View Post
I tried that site,registered and it won't let me on?? I tried twice with different E-mail addresses.
There is a small group of owners on Facebook, I pop in there now and then. I have the cheapy version of a Cm30
Old 12-10-2016, 14:08   #117

I finally made a deal on a sailboat that I feel is absolutely perfect for what I want to do, is beautiful, has a great amount of potential. It's a 1974 Clipper Marine 30, and I think that it is a far more thoughtfully designed and well constructed than it is being given credit for. I think I'm also in a good position to make this CM30 into the perfect boat for me, but that isn't the position everyone is in. I know there have been many negative opinions expressed, and I can't comment on the build quality of any other CM's, but other than the riveted deck/hull joint, nearly every other negative comment simply doesn't hold true for the boat I just purchased.

The hull is hand-laid and doesn't flex, neither does the top. The lifelines and stanchions don't cause flex when weight is applied. Below, everything that's bolted through has a backing plate, and every bit of wood is solid, no laminates. Oceans of teak below. The 1974 cabin is a bit sparse because the boat has had very few creature comfort upgrades made (porta-potty only, no sink in the head, no electronics) but this is a plus for me because I get to put in exactly what I want, where and how.

I love the cockpit and the forward-placed outboard motor-well. It cleans up the transom, gives easy access to the engine, keeps the prop in the water, and pushes water back over the rudder. My 30 has the retractable shoal draft keel, which is a great feature for me, since I'll be sailing the upper Columbia and Snake rivers most of the time. I also love that it's a 30 foot boat I can live aboard that is trailerable, so when I move to Seattle in 3-4 years I can take her with me and she'll be just as happy gunkholing around the Sound and cruising the islands as she is chasing Chinook here north of the dams. It's not speedy, but it's an easy to single hand 30 footer with great potential as a versatile live-aboard.

I should point out that I'd read only the first few pages of this thread before I went to check her out. I'd researched the boats for 3-4 days before I went to see it and had encountered a lot of negative opinions, but not --it seemed-- from people who actually owned one --especially a larger one. It's true these are obviously not blue water boats, but neither is it true that they aren't good boats for their purpose. If you're looking for an affordable coastal cruiser that you can trailer and live aboard, don't be afraid that this thing is going to crumble like it's made out of Saltines and good intentions.

That said, I only paid $4k for the boat and trailer. Had it been any more, it would not have been worth it. And I mean ANY more. It's worth it for me, because I'm retired and I'll be living aboard for the next 4-6 years, so I have a lot of expendable cash to shape the boat into more than it currently is. In 4 years I'm going to have the nicest Clipper Marine 30 in the PacNW that I can feel safe on in almost any conditions, but not many people who have real lives and responsibilities and restrictions on how they spend their money would be able to turn these (beautiful, I think) coastal sailors into regular ocean-going boats, much less deep water, big seas boats. I'm relatively certain that I can get this boat to a point where I'm comfortable taking it up the Inside Passage to Alaska and into moderately heavy weather. But this modification (combined with adding the live-aboard and safety features I want) is going to cost me a lot of boat bucks. Tens of boat bucks. Multiple tens.

If you want a blue water cruiser and don't have multiple tens of boat bucks to spend, then this isn't the boat for you. If you want a blue water cruiser and have multiple tens of boat bucks to spend, then there are better options and you've never even considered these boats. If you want a solid, affordable, well designed, roomy coastal/lake cruiser/weekender then walk up to a CM and decide for yourself. I can't speak for any of them except the one I bought, but it is no death trap of shoddy construction. If, like me, you need an affordable, trailer-able, live-aboard, shoal draft river cruiser that can transition to a live aboard coastal island hopper, and you have some money to put into the boat, then you might have found a great boat for you.

I'll post some more pictures for the Clipper Marine enthusiasts on Sunday after I get her home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailBoat.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	132759  
TillysCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 16:57   #118

Hi; After looking at the picture your boat is like mine. You say you have a retractable shoal keel. I have a fixed shoal keel,it should be good for Kansas mud puddle lakes. Like you said; " not a blue water sailer but it will go on a trailer and can be brought home for winter and repairs. I was think about playing along the Gulf coast next winter.
Old 12-10-2016, 19:29   #119

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Congrats GoldFalcon. I have had my CM32 for almost 2 years now. I moor it in the Sacramento delta about an hour south of Sacramento. I have a fixed keel and draw 3'6". There just about anywhere I can't go. I do me go, it takes very little wind to move her and when the evening winds come up, she moves very respectfully. This is my fourth boat and I can't find fault with her. She is very well constructed, easy to sail singlehanded and a joy. The only draw back is that I don't have a trailer. Enjoy your refit. Keep us posted.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 20:59   #120

Glad you are having fun!