Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2006, 13:49   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Closing on a "New to Me Boat"

Ok:

Just a little bit of a sign that my life is way too complicated. I'm closing on a New to me Sceptre 41 here is the link http://www.sceptremarine.com/cotorraintro.htm
Sitting here in Kalifornia I wired the $$$ from my account in Montana to a bank in Washington state. Using a broker in Canada to buy a boat from a couple who have residency in Illinois but are living in Florida. I'm excited but I'm trying to figure out when I can get up to Canada and take deliverey because I have to get it out of Canada or pay import duties.

She actually looks as pretty as the pictures. I was up there over July 4th to take a look and do a sea trial. I'm going to drop a new engine in her (the old one has 5000 hours and low compression) and add a GPS chart plotter and then from there I will see what I need to add. The engine is taking a big part of my toy budget but perhaps that is a good thing. less toys means less maintenance.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 14:35   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Looks like a sweet boat. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun on her. It might be worth getting a quote on reconditioning the engine...in the greater scheme of things, 5000 hours isn't massive.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 14:51   #3

Thanks Weylan:

The thing about the engine is that there is no log on it and in speaking with the yard that did the refit work I don't have alot of faith in the way the engine or the rest of the boat was maintained. Cost of a rebuild would be about 2/3 that of a whole new engine and then there is the water pump and all the other extras that could go out on the boat so I figure that , even being the cheap skate that I am, it would be a false economy to rebuild the engine. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 21-08-2006, 15:47   #4

Hi Charlie,

Congrats for closing on a great boat in my opinion, but then I'm biased.

Since a new engine is somewhere on the horizon for us I would like to hear of how it goes as you re-power. What make engine are you going to use?

John
S/V Kloosh
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 16:42   #5

It's been like pulling teeth but I think I got a good value even with the engine problem. I am repowering with the updated version of Yanmar engine that is in the boat. I'm doing that to minimize any engine mount problems. Oh yeah they are good engines too. Never Monday is a yanmar dealer and has given me a competitive price even with shipping. (cheaper than tax) I'm figuring on hiring a mechanic to install the engine with me holding wrenches and doing this and that to help. That way I'll know how to do it next time. If you check out this link " Whhttp://www.pearson424.org/engine/repower.php It tells the story of a cople of boats and their repowering ordeals. I figure helping will pay off in the long run. I'll know more about my boat.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 21-08-2006, 19:07   #6
Kai Nui

I won't bore you my repower nightmares, but I did do extensive research into a reman engine vs new, and came to the same conclusion. Congrats. I can't wait untill you get her to the bay area so we can have a look.
Old 21-08-2006, 22:16   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 33T La Vita
Hi Charlie,
Congrats on getting close to owning a wonderful cruising vessel!

We are in the middle of our refit. Living on board and completing the work in a short time frame has been stressful for both Rick and me. I sincerely hope you are able to choose an easier path. Such as, more time and live on land until you and the family are ready to go cruising.

We leave for Ensenada in about 4 to 5 weeks. Yikes, I have so much to learn and we have so much to do! I keep a daily diary because I can't remember from one day to the next what I did the day before.

Cheers,

Galaxy,
s/v La Vita

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
:cubalibre
Spread a little sunshine--Jack Lemmon
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 06:44   #8

Way to GO!!!!!!
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 07:33   #9

Hi Pat,
Good to hear from you; its been a long time!

I'm not sure if you've been getting the THS posts. If not, let me introduce myself. On THS, I am the moderator for the First Mate forum.

After we purchased La Vita and set a date to go cruising I changed to my first name, Lynn. I figure going by the name on my passport will make life easier checking in and out of port.

In a few minutes we are leaving for the Mexican consulate. We are applying for a FM3 visa.

With luck, most of the electronics should be installed this week. That job has been going on for over a month. Waiting for essential parts was the main reason this job couldn't be completed.

After waiting a month for the rigger to fit us into his schedule, we sat in the boatyard a week ($33 p/day) while we waited for him to fabricate a bolt. Boatyard showers are disgusting!

I've discovered most jobs need to done twice, for example the radar is on a custom gimble mount with a custom sail guard. The custom sail guard was the wrong size and a new one had to be fabricated and shipped to us (again). We decided to run the cable down the inside of the mast. The spreader light wire is stuck in the mast. The mast steps stop to high up the mast to be useful.

To fix these problems we must go back to the boatyard and they have to pull the mast to fish out the wire. The sail guard and mast steps will be fixed at the same time. This is a 3-hour round trip.

BTW, did you know a life raft is considered hazardous material and requires special handling???

I could go on and on, but the list is so long folks would fall asleep or delete the post before getting to the bottom line.

I must close on a positive note. I love the people in the cruising community! I seem to be thriving from the physical side of this life style.

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
Old 22-08-2006, 09:54   #10

Hello Kai, Lynn, Pat,

Funny thing I've always been a I'll do it myself or I won't do it at all kinda guy. But sitting down and posting on the net and having you guys say good job or did you think about this really is a stress relief valve. Thanks.

Kai -- I'm buying the boat out of the wonderful state of Kalifornia and intend to take the boat on a trip to Mexico and throughout central america etc etc but Kalifornia wants their bit of sales tax. 7% to 8%. So I need to keep it out of Kalifornia for a year and even then I'm not going to keep it here long to avoid spending 6 months of cruising budget on tax. I do intend to stop in Moss Landing and have a visit though Kai.

Lynn -- sounds frantic in a good sort of way. Fortuantely alot of the refit work has already been done on the boat I'm sure that we are ging to have some things that need to be redone but we'll see after I sail her for awhile. I think what we are going to do is put off going for a while longer so that my stress level doesn't go thru the roof. I want to do alot of the work myself so that I know more about the boat. Also I like doing that sort of thing.

Pat -- I'll call you soon on the engine. everything looks good but I don't have confirmation of the documents being recorded.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 22-08-2006, 15:14   #11

Charlie,
No worries. It's sitting in the shop with your name on it.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 21:48   #12

Hi charlie and pat and others,
it is an amazing process. Never would I have guessed getting ready cruise could be so challenging.

I have so much more respect for cruisers! both those that go "bare bones" and those that go "fully equiped." Both versions require special skills and abilities.

Charlie: I'm glad you will have time to make things work before you blast off. That would be my choice. Yet, again, we may have dragged our feet if we had more time to prepare.

Tomorrow we pick up our FM3 visa from the Mexican consulate. Hurrray! We've been impressed with the ease, efficiency, and professionalism we've experienced during this process. Next we get a sailing permit for La Vita and required fishing licenses.

Many hurtles to cross. Please keep your fingers crossed for us.

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
Old 22-08-2006, 22:05   #13

You'll get it lynn,

good luck. I wish I was as far in the process as you are.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 22-08-2006, 23:13   #14
Kai Nui

Charlie, just need enough time to chill the beer and stock the rum
And, our yacht club gives two free nights on the guest dock (Officially)