Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2023, 16:19   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Coast Guard Documented

Greetings fellow sailors,

I have a question about displaying state license on the bow of my boat. If my boat is Coast Guard Documented do I need to also display a state # on the bow of my 36' sailboat?

Tough getting the right info.

Thanks
Ed
Starfish 2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 16:32   #2

Re: Coast Guard Documented

Not only do you not need to, it is illegal to do so.

Pretty sure this is also covered somewhere in 46CFR, but having trouble finding it now.

33CFR173 (the section of federal code dealing with state registration and numbering) says:

Quote:
§ 173.33 Removal of number.

The person whose name appears on a certificate of number as the owner of a vessel shall remove the number and validation sticker from the vessel when:

(a) The vessel is documented by the Coast Guard;
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-3...-173/subpart-B
Here's a source from USPS, but still no reference to the CFR section I'm pretty sure is out there: https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/po.../vesselreg.pdf

Quote:
Vessels may ONLY be identified as either a State Registered Vessel or a Federally Documented Vessel - BUT NOT BOTH. When a vessel becomes Federally Documented, the State Registration Numbers and Letters must be removed. However the State Validation Sticker showing proof of paying sales tax may still be displayed on the vessel in accordance with the individual state’s regulations
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 16:52   #3

Thank you!!
Old 23-01-2023, 16:58   #4

Boat: Carver 356

As noted, no state numbers on a documented boat. However, most states do require you to still state register your boat and display that small, 4x4 registration sticker. I’m in VA, one of the few states that allow state registration to be optional. So, no sticker on my boat.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 17:18   #5

Thanks Chuck34,

I am in Delaware, which is where my boat is registered but will be taking her down to NC in April to our new house. Will have to find out the laws down there. Ed
Old 23-01-2023, 17:27   #6

North Carolina requires registration of documented vessels and display of the registration decal (but not registration numbers) on the bow:

Quote:
Decals must be displayed on the starboard and port side bow within 6 inches of your registration number as shown in the diagram above. U.S. Coast Guard Documented Vessels must display the decals on the forward half of the starboard and port side bow.
https://www.ncwildlife.org/boating/registration-titling
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 17:38   #7

HeywoodJ,

Thank you very much. I have printed the document for NC and will get it filled out. Thanks again, good to be prepared. Ed
Old 24-01-2023, 06:44   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Here in Florida we have to affix the green State Registration decal -- but not the registration numbers -- on our boat if our boat is USCG documented. Technically the boat is "state registered" but the registration numbers on the decal match the USCG documentation numbers.

Looking at other sailboats around me I generally see their decals mounted on the mast, about 2 feet above the deck. That is where I have mounted mine. Not sure if that's the "proper" location or not from a legal standpoint.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:46   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

NY (and many other states) are the same as mentioned by others above. No numbers on the boat if documented, but many states (including NY) still require you to register the boat with the state and display the small, square registration sticker on the bow, just without numbers next to it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:49   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we also put the state decal on the port side base of the mast.
Old 24-01-2023, 06:59   #11

A few small points.

1) This is a Global Site. You're talking about United States Coast Guard. The world doesn't refer the USCG as 'Coast Guard'. Let's try not to think so americentric.

2) It's a requirement of the USCG that you not post state registration numbers. No need to specify which states don't display state numbers on a USCG documented vessel. It applies to ALL states.

3) The fact that you're USCG documented has no bearing on the requirements for state registration. You will need to comply with each state you visit. Almost all states require that you register in that state if the vessel is in that state longer than a specific time. This means you might need to register in multiple states (hence why you don't run state numbers...which state?).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 07:28   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

3) The fact that you're USCG documented has no bearing on the requirements for state registration.

That isn't true everywhere.

For example, in Minnesota, documented vessels are, by statute, entirely exempt from state registration, no matter how long they stay.
Old 24-01-2023, 08:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That isn't true everywhere.

For example, in Minnesota, documented vessels are, by statute, entirely exempt from state registration, no matter how long they stay.
It's the same was in the State of Mississippi - documented vessels are exempt from state registration.
coxfirm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men