Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 12:46   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20
Coastal Cruising a Sage 17

I have sailed ona Montgomery 17 a few times and cannot believe how comfortable and stable it is compared larger sailboats I have sailed. I did some research and found Sage Marine. The boats sound very impressive, but I am looking to sail in coastal waters. How capable is this boat for sailing the West coast of the U.S. and Canada. I have encountered a lot around here and would like to know it a Sage 17 could handle it well.

Thank you so much to all who reply
Montslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 21:04   #2

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'
Re: Coastal Cruising a Sage 17

I can't speak specifically about a sage 17 (though it does look like a Mongomery 17 clone, even up close). I sailed a Montgomery 17 out to Catalina and Santa Cruz Islands numerous times, spending up to a week, and circumnavigating each at least once. I didn't have any worries about how the boat handled the conditions (though I was never out in a serious storm).
I took mine up to San Francisco Bay, and have since seen several others sailing there.
I have not taken one further north.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 21:44   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Montslr! I sailed down the coast from San Francisco to Santa Barbara with a friend once in a Signet 20. He sailed it all around the Channel Islands and then back up to SF. But compared to the Sage 17, the Signet looks like a heavy displacement boat. Well, it is only a small bit bigger but it had a fixed keel. I'd say if you pick your weather well, you can do it, but conditions do pop up occasionally in certain locations that would make that boat a bit hazardous. That kind of boat doesn't have much to fight with against a breaking wave. That said, many years ago I had a good friend in Santa Barbara who used to regularly sail his engineless Sea Mew out to the islands across the Santa Barbara Channel and there is even less to the Sea Mew than the Sage 17 I think, but the Sea Mew was pretty stable. Personally I'd definitely trailer it down to San Francisco and start south from there.
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/.../012/index.htm
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 22:02   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Can a 17 foot sailboat handle the area you want to cruise, yes it can. Would I want to be on one, no I wouldn't. I like creaturely comforts and a bit of room. People sail, row, paddle, and power in all manners of boats I wouldn't consider. You will be spending hundreds of hours undergoing the cruising you have described and the weather will often be unpleasant, think rain and more rain. Off of Oregon, large swells and fog. Heading towards Vancouver and Seattle, lots of large commercial vessels.

Check out Laura Dekker's videos, I'll link you to one. She is the youngest to sail around the world, pay attention to her boat, she didn't get a new one, it isn't large. She can handle the boat by herself yet there are some creaturely comforts, but not a lot... lol.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 01:01   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

Thank you all for your input. The Sage boats sound like they are very strongly built and could take a beating, but could it compare to to a Flicka? I understand the interior accommodation will not be as great, but will the boats comfort level be any worse? I know a Sage 17 cannot compare to a boat that has a goal of offshore safety. Though, I have heard many impressive journeys made with them.

Thank you
Montslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 04:20   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

If you are considering a Flicka 20, you might also want to check out the other boats on this list.

All are capable of coastal and offshore cruising if in good condition.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 07:52   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Flicka to Sage is apples to oranges really. When you say 'compares to Flicka,' what do you mean? In terms of seaworthiness? Yeah the Flicka was designed with some serious seaworthiness in mind, and roominess, but it sacrifices some performance because there is only so much you can get out of 20 feet! The Flicka has a lot of room and a lot of weight compared to the Sage for sure, and costs a lot more I 'spect. I used to have a Columbia 24 that was a nice medium between the Sage, or Signet, and the Flicka. Roomy, tough, but not too heavy, and sailed well for its design and vintage. Thomm's hint about the atomvoyages list is a good place to peruse too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising