Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 09:43   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Coat of bottom jobhello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I can attest to this!! I had my boat on the hard for two weeks last year, and I slept well every night, I was so exhausted. Be prepared to sweat, especially as you'll be covered head-to-toe when sanding. I literally would ring water out of my clothes.
Wow, you stayed at it!

I did the bottom job last time (2014/5) on my 27' boat over a 5 month period during the Yard's 4 Month Winter Storage Special.

They charge $8.00/ft November-February plus haul out. I had to stay an extra month at the normal price waiting for the temps to get high enough to paint.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:46   #17

DO NOT haul and work on your boat in FL June-Sept!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:47   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Wow, you stayed at it!

I did the bottom job last time (2014/5) on my 27' boat over a 5 month period during the Yard's 4 Month Winter Storage Special.

The charge is $8.00/ft during November-February plus haul out. I had to stay an extra month at the normal price waiting for the temps to get high enough to paint.
Not all of that 2 weeks was bottom prep and painting. Probably 2 days of sanding and two days of painting. Another two days of buffing the hull. I also replaced the entire drivetrain from the coupling all the way to the prop - new shaft, coupling, intermediate bearing, shaft seal, and cutless bearing. Figured I might as well do it right while I had the boat out of the water. Fortunately in Florida we rarely get temps to cold to paint ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:48   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
DO NOT haul and work on your boat in FL June-Sept!
Why not? It's a great way to lose weight ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:54   #20

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

$1900. for two gallons of bottom paint is outrageous, as all of their other prices you list.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:58   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I had a railway tell me the price would be the same if I provided the paint. He said, their profit was on the paint markup. An honest response. FYI
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 10:25   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Not all of that 2 weeks was bottom prep and painting. Probably 2 days of sanding and two days of painting. Another two days of buffing the hull. I also replaced the entire drivetrain from the coupling all the way to the prop - new shaft, coupling, intermediate bearing, shaft seal, and cutless bearing. Figured I might as well do it right while I had the boat out of the water. Fortunately in Florida we rarely get temps to cold to paint ;-)
Looks like you got a lot completed in just two weeks.

I worked weekends only for maybe 2-4 hours per day. I had planned on just doing a bottom job but ended up sanding all the old paint off the topside hulls down to the old gelcoat also.

Then I repainted the bottom and then roll and tipped 2 coats of Pettit EasyPoxy on the topside hull.

Pic shows where I started on the topside hull when I decided to go ahead and take off all the old paint. (down to original Gelcoat) I at first planned to just knock off the peeling paint and leave the rest but it was just to much coming off.

The EasyPoxy was only $88.00 per gallon which easily covered the hull with 2 coats, but I'll probably need to apply two more coats this year when I haul out to repaint the bottom.

I replaced the lifelines at that time also from cable to tied on Dyneema/Polyester!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01760.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	168723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01814.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	168724  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 10:28   #23

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

You already know the price is too high and if you have time DIY is very doable. To that end I would make the following suggestion. The picture looks like you don't have a lot of paint buildup. If what I'm seeing is the second contrasting layer of ablative with a first layer beneath showing through then ... wash the bottom to remove any remaining scum and give it a new single top coat with a little extra in high wear areas. Don't bother sanding, if you're going to use the same paint that was on it before. You already have a second layer underneath your top coat, all you're doing is replacing the top ablative layer. If in Florida you're sailing a lot and not pulling the boat each year maybe you need more but in New England one layer of paint lasts for 6 months and I"m on the water all the time. If you had lots of layers of paint with sections chipping off then you need to sand. But not if you keep from building up thicker and thicker paint layers by adding coats you don't need. That's why you have the first layer in a contrasting color. If it's not showing through don't keep adding paint unnecessarily.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 10:50   #24

Boat: Pearson 34

Definitely a DIY job. One benefit is making a close examination of your hull, steering and propulsion gear. But wear proper protective gear, respirator, etc.
rsb
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:04   #25

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

A Captain that does as much of his own work as possible is far more in tune with his boat.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:22   #26

I do almost everything on my boat... except the bottom paint. I used to but..it is a very unfun job on a boat the size of mine.

When I am in the yard, and need to get out as fast as I can, my time is far better spent on the higher value added jobs where an owner's care and attention have bigger rewards.

Just to put the cost you were quoted in perspective, we paid $3500 for the same job specs on a 52 foot boat, and that included PropSpeed for the running gear... And that was at Lauderdale Marine Center, not exactly a low rent yard...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:01   #27

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

White paper suits home depot A Real 2 handned orbital sander 40 grit disks. Wear a mask ! the stuff is POISON ! Anyone can operate a roller, after throw it all away in the trash !
Scratch the bottom all up You do not have to remove all the paint just so it has a rough surface to go on to . Bet it takes 3 gallons 2 on the boat 3 at the water line. Use blue tape. Or better yet plastic FINE line tape for a sharp water line edge.
Welcome to the Morgan Family. There are Morgan Yacht flags too !
For me I like Sea Hawk Tropic on my Morgan
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 16:15   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanicroute View Post
Attachment 168714

This is the best I have at the moment. Stillshot from a video.

Rough Breakdown on quote -

1200 - Sanding
360 - Running Gear Prep/Paint
1900 - Paint (Micron csc)
1100 - Labor for paint
150 - RR owner supplied zincs
100 - Remove Debris
Has the person providing the estimate actually seen the boat bottom?

Is that Micron CSC on the boat already?

CSC is a great paint and I recommend it to all of my customers who may take their boats into saltwater, or who are willing to pay for the best now, to reduce maintenance cost later.

Cheap bottom paint / gallon, is always a false savings.

If it is CSC, my first impression is that it likely wouldn't have needed repainting at all, if the person operating the power washer had used proper pressure or nozzle distance.

It appears they blasted the top layer of paint off. After all, it is an ablative paint that is supposed to wear off with normal boat movement through the water. Direct high velocity, high pressure water at it, and this is what happens.

I warn all of my customers with CSC bottoms to have this discussion with the power washer operator, and if they blow the outer layer off, they are putting it back on, on their dime.

But alas, now your bat does need repainting, because too much "wear reveal" colour is showing through.

It doesn't appear to be peeling or flaking anywhere, so the reveal coat is sound and intact.

My recommendation is skuff sand, apply a coat of CSC on leading edge high wear points only, and then an overall single coat.

For a 46 ft sailboat, this should require approximately 6 hours sanding, 8 hours painting, and 1 hour per under each pad (if on a cradle) or sling strap if in a travel lift). It should take approximate 2 gallons of paint.

Excluding launch or haul, I would expect this to be a $3000 job, for the bottom.

Two coats overall will just add build up needlessly leading to premature bottom paint disease (peeling and flaking).

Not sure what they are referring to as "running gear". Painting the prop and shaft? Why?
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 18:23   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Has the person providing the estimate actually seen the boat bottom?

Is that Micron CSC on the boat already?

CSC is a great paint and I recommend it to all of my customers who may take their boats into saltwater, or who are willing to pay for the best now, to reduce maintenance cost later.

Cheap bottom paint / gallon, is always a false savings.

If it is CSC, my first impression is that it likely wouldn't have needed repainting at all, if the person operating the power washer had used proper pressure or nozzle distance.

It appears they blasted the top layer of paint off. After all, it is an ablative paint that is supposed to wear off with normal boat movement through the water. Direct high velocity, high pressure water at it, and this is what happens.

I warn all of my customers with CSC bottoms to have this discussion with the power washer operator, and if they blow the outer layer off, they are putting it back on, on their dime.

But alas, now your bat does need repainting, because too much "wear reveal" colour is showing through.

It doesn't appear to be peeling or flaking anywhere, so the reveal coat is sound and intact.

My recommendation is skuff sand, apply a coat of CSC on leading edge high wear points only, and then an overall single coat.

For a 46 ft sailboat, this should require approximately 6 hours sanding, 8 hours painting, and 1 hour per under each pad (if on a cradle) or sling strap if in a travel lift). It should take approximate 2 gallons of paint.

Excluding launch or haul, I would expect this to be a $3000 job, for the bottom.

Two coats overall will just add build up needlessly leading to premature bottom paint disease (peeling and flaking).

Not sure what they are referring to as "running gear". Painting the prop and shaft? Why?
I should add, if the boat will sit idle for greater than 2 weeks at a time, CSC is not the best choice. It is meant for boats that are moving regularly.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 19:00   #30

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

I would check with Scorpion marine in Cape Canaveral. I have had my boats bottom painted there for four years and it is almost cheaper than doing it your self. You are allowed to do some work while it is out. Great people to work with
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote