Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 03:19   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Cockpit clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If and when your plastic gas containers leak, and we’ve had more than one spring a leak over the years... usually along a seam, , you’ll end up with gasoline and it’s fumes in your bilge. Then....

BOOM!

I believe there’s even several warnings molded into the plastic gas container alerting as to the dangers of storing gasoline indoors.

Most everyone stores their gas indoors. I don't see gas cans in peoples yards when I drive up, or strapped on the decks of sailboats that have dinghys.

Also if I have a gas container that leaks, I'll replace it.

You have to realize it's not like on a boat with a 20 gallon tank or something where you refuel once a month or once a season

My outboard holds 40 oz of gas which is enough for maybe 50 minutes. I usually use that at first so I'm always in the Aft Lazarete Locker to refuel the small onboard tank or to open the vent on and pump the external tank. The external hold 3 gallons and the other refuel tank/container hold 2.2 gallons

I can smell a gas leak instantly upon opening that Locker. I don't like the smell and I definitely don't want it in my bilge because it stinks up the whole boat

I know this because the first fuel line I bought was this universal thing that didn't fit well and leaked. later I boat Yamaha Connecters for the tank end and Mercury for the outboard end. No more leaks.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 03:28   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Most everyone stores their gas indoors. I don't see gas cans in peoples yards when I drive up, or strapped on the decks of sailboats that have dinghys.

If it leaks, I'll replace it.

You have to realize it's not like on a boat with a 20 gallon tank or something where you refuel once a month or once a season

My outboard holds 40 oz of gas which is enough for maybe 50 minutes. I usually use that as first so I'm always in the Aft Lazarete Locker to refuel the small onboard tank or to open the vent on and pump the external tank. The external hold 3 gallons and the other refuel tank/container hold 2.2 gallons

I can smell a gas leak instantly upon opening that Locker. I don't like the smell and I definitely don't want it in my bilge because it stinks up the whole boat

I know this because the first fuel line I bought was this universal thing that didn't fit well and leaked. later I boat Yamaha Connecters for the tank end and Mercury for the outboard end. No more leaks.
And so what if you discover the gasoline leak at the same instant your boat goes...

BOOM!!!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 03:46   #18

Quote:
And so what if you discover the gasoline leak at the same instant your boat goes...

BOOM!!!
I'll know I have a leak way before that happens.

You also need to remember, usually the problem with gas onboard is if the engine is internally mounted and leaks. My engine is externally mounted and doesn't leak

You can what if yourself to death and never sail anywhere.

just look at all the threads on CF about multiple backup systems. I like to go with the minimum and improvise if a problem occurs like when my jib head strap broke a couple months ago and it came down while sailing (I'll have it properly repaired when I pull the boat in November)

On some 3-4 day sails, the fuel in the outboard tank is enough. So all containers are closed. My gas tanks/containers are basically still new

I also have propane onboard for cooking. I'm way more worried about lighting my propane hotplate than the gas I have onboard...….especially if I'm at a rough anchorage or still moving/sailing
Old 19-09-2018, 04:53   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Epoxy and 3M your friends. If you do not like something, modify.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:07   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

My outboard does not have an integral fuel tank, so I use an external one. It is metal.

If I were to keep my gasoline below decks, I would install a proper permanent gasoline tank with a deck fill and a vent. I would construct a bulkhead to separate it from the living space, and install a blower. This would be a project of considerable magnitude.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:54   #21
cruiser

Quote:
I'll know I have a leak way before that happens.

You also need to remember, usually the problem with gas onboard is if the engine is internally mounted and leaks. My engine is externally mounted and doesn't leak

You can what if yourself to death and never sail anywhere.

just look at all the threads on CF about multiple backup systems. I like to go with the minimum and improvise if a problem occurs like when my jib head strap broke a couple months ago and it came down while sailing (I'll have it properly repaired when I pull the boat in November)

On some 3-4 day sails, the fuel in the outboard tank is enough. So all containers are closed. My gas tanks/containers are basically still new

I also have propane onboard for cooking. I'm way more worried about lighting my propane hotplate than the gas I have onboard...….especially if I'm at a rough anchorage or still moving/sailing
So, your recommendation to the OP is to create an unsafe condition because probably nothing bad will happen... because you personally haven’t blown up during the past 7 years.

Excellent.....
Old 19-09-2018, 06:07   #22

Quote:
So, your recommendation to the OP is to create an unsafe condition because probably nothing bad will happen... because you personally haven’t blown up during the past 7 years.

Excellent.....
No, not at all.

That's just the spin you put on it.

My system for storing gas is completely safe and works very well. On top of that, it gets inspected almost daily whether in use or not. Plus my Aft Lazarette Locker has two Cowl Vents and a topside hull vent

I like to dock with the outboard's integral tank so I'm always topping it off before docking

Plus I can tell if it has leaked into the bilge as it did when I had the universal fuel line. I can smell it throughout the boat and I cannot deal with that smell so I make sure I have no leaks

But like I mentioned before, I have replaced those loose connections

I'm simply not going to have a loose gas tank sliding around on deck or in my cockpit and in the way
Old 19-09-2018, 06:17   #23
cruiser

Quote:
No, not at all.

That's just the spin you put on it.

My system for storing gas is completely safe and works very well. On top of that, it gets inspected almost daily whether in use or not. Plus my Aft Lazarette Locker has two Cowl Vents and a topside hull vent

I like to dock with the outboard's integral tank so I'm always topping it off before docking

Plus I can tell if it has leaked into the bilge as it did when I had the universal fuel line. I can smell it throughout the boat and I cannot deal with that smell so I make sure I have no leaks

But like I mentioned before, I have replaced those loose connections

I'm simply not going to have a loose gas tank sliding around on deck or in my cockpit and in the way
Now we know the reason why we have warning labels attached to just about everything these days.
Old 19-09-2018, 07:08   #24

Quote:
Now we know the reason why we have warning labels attached to just about everything these days.
Funny.

If you are afraid to use gasoline simply paddle your dinghy and sail your boat or buy a diesel. It's all up to you. I have a kayak that I paddle

I had a diesel but it was old, smelly, and it leaked

Most all the sailboats that have outboard powered dinghies that I have seen do not have gas on their decks or in their cockpits. It's all stored below deck

My system for gasoline storage is really one of the best for outboard use. It's just nice that my boat has a well ventilated Aft Lazarette Locker. My outboard is a 2011 and doesn't leak. Plus it's on a bracket off the stern

And also that my 5 Hp 4 Stroke Outboard simply doesn't use much fuel so I don't carry much. Usually around 4 gallons or so

Sometime that 4 gallons can last me several 50-100 mile trips if the wind holds. At times, I can do an entire 100-150 cruise with the outboard's tank alone

If I wasn't on a schedule, I would use even less gas. My first 4 sailboats didn't have engines.....
Old 20-09-2018, 04:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
My outboard does not have an integral fuel tank, so I use an external one. It is metal.

If I were to keep my gasoline below decks, I would install a proper permanent gasoline tank with a deck fill and a vent. I would construct a bulkhead to separate it from the living space, and install a blower. This would be a project of considerable magnitude.
You only need all that if have an engine mounted below. An inboard engine.

For small amounts of gas storage, you just need a space below with two vents like the cowl vents most all Aft Lazarette lockers have for natural air flow.

Plus that locker is usually separated from the living space by a bulkhead (but allows the bilge to receive ventilation)

Also, be careful with that old metal tank. They will definitely leak when they get old enough
Old 20-09-2018, 16:25   #26

Quote:
The gasoline tank belongs outside, don’t put it inside anywhere on your boat.
This is simply your opinion. The way you would like things to be, but it has nothing to do with the actual Federal Guidelines on the storage of gasoline on a boat.

To set the record straight, here are the Federal Guidelines for ventilation concerning gasoline or other highly flammable liquids stored on a boat below deck.

https://www.boatus.org/equipment/

From the link above.

Ventilation (Boats built BEFORE 8/80)
At least two ventilator ducts fitted with cowls or their equivalent for the purpose of properly and efficiently ventilating the bilges of every closed engine and fuel tank compartment of boats constructed or decked over after April 25, 1940
Old 20-09-2018, 17:02   #27

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Some people regularly straddle 5-6 gallons of gasoline and hurtle down the interstate at triple-digits. I can tell you from experience that spontaneous combustion and fuel leaks are waaaaaay down the list of worries...
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:16   #28

My advice would be to simply change boats now you know more about what you'd like setup wise. Diesel inboard type maybe?
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit