Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2024, 06:44   #16

Boat: Renken 18
Re: cockpit drain goes out bottom of sailboat

I am planning out a bilge pump and safety switch for backup in the bilge/cabin area that drains out the transom just above water level. I am thinking that maybe I will put a Y fitting in that line and just run the cabin out the transom as well and seal up the hole in the bottom by the keel. Any thoughts on that plan?
SailingPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2024, 07:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPI View Post
I have a Renken 18 I just got and was wondering if anyone could help explain if it is normal to have the cockpit drain go out the bottom of the sailboat next to the keel.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Pretty normal to go out the bottom on many boats. Exit too close to the waterline will often take on water in the cockpit on a heel. Leave well enough alone.

Be sure to put a high loop in your bilge pump hose near the exit fitting to avoid sinking your boat! Dont use a check valve!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2024, 08:01   #18

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPI View Post
It is one of those Plastic through fittings with a 3/4" hose barb on the end.
Oof plastic underwater and no seacock. Yeah that would be something to remedy when you have the chance. Not going to say your boat is going to sink tomorrow it has managed to remain above the waves since being built but it is a catastrophic point of failure.

Personally I would put in a real thruhull & seacock (bronze or composite), and upgrade the hose to below the waterline hose, double stainless steel clamps. Now you have something you can trust will keep the ocean on the proper side of the hull.

However to answer your original question yes plenty of boat have drains which drain below the waterline BUT if they do they should involve a proper installation no different than galley sink drain or engine raw water intake.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 08:36   #19

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
On most boats they exit at or near the waterline. No idea what's normal for a Renken 18.
83 Dickerson ketch, cockpit drains directly under the boat.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 11:04   #20

Yes, most are below the waterline otherwise a wave or boat reaction could lead to a pooping stream of water shooting out and at you!
dreuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 15:19   #21

Boat: 19' Customflex Mallard & 1976 Bristol 24'

I have a Bristol 24, drains straight down, plan to cross the hoses before I launch or fiberglass the entire length, about 30" or so. If I stick with hose I will double clamp each end. Your creating work and the last thing a sailor needs to do is create work, the boat will take care of that for you!...Vince
thecicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 16:48   #22

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm accustomed to these cockpit drains remaining open; however, the common practice is to have the starboard cockpit drain to the port side of the keel and the reverse for the other side.

It is common practice. It also has no apparent reason. You can end up with the port side of the cockpit low (starboard tack) and the hose going uphill -- perhaps not allowing it to drain.

But, more importantly, if the discharge is under water at all heel angles, there is zero difference for any location, other than perhaps a longer hose.

The perception that I have heard, that it keeps water from backing up into the cockpit, is hogwash.

ABYC and common sense aside, working a thru hull into the space between the bottom of the cockpit and the bottom of the hull on an 18' boat could be more than a little challenging. Especially if you want to meet all the requirements of an ABYC compliant thru hull!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cockpit, sail, sailboat