Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 10:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Columbia 28 vs Catalina 30

So I currently own a columbia 28, aka the brick on/in the water. don't get me wrong, I like this boat, the brick portion is a plus in my book but I'm seriously considering upgrading to a catalina 30 due to liveability as i live on her. (the 28 is very cramped with my textbooks ...) As I'm a new sailor (though lots of boat experience) is there any real downside to upping to the catalina? I'll be mostly singlehanding, quick coastal outings as school permits, though summertime will be a lot of sailing around San Francisco. Both have the atom bomb 4, so no difference there, and both are fin keeled, etc. Mostly, I'm concerned about a quick change in weather, and the catalina not handling coastal seas as well for someone new to sailing. I know the columbia handles 8' - 10' seas easily, just won't have the time to seriously trial the catalina before purchase (stupid midterms). so any imput would be great. I either need to figure out how to make the columbia work (which is questionable) or upgrade. I'm looking at Catalina's so when I get a big girl boat, the resale will be easy.

Thanks all !
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 13:26   #2

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Columbia 28 vs Catalina 30

The Catalina 30 was designed for the type of coastal sailing you are talking about. They are well built boats at a great price. People have sailed Catalina 30s just about everywhere.

I attached a chart comparing the two boats. As you can see, they are very similar by the numbers. As a liveaboard I think the big advantage would go to the Catalina since it can handle over 300 more pounds per inch of immersion.

Fair winds,

Jesse
Attached Files
File Type: pdf columbia 28 vs catalina 30.pdf (9.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 14-10-2013, 13:52   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Catalina owners have a large and active association. The Columbia, not so much...

This is a great source of support.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 14:52   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Catalina is a good choice for interior space although the Columbia can handle as much in the way of weather. Can you find a diesel equiped Cat30? I know they are out there.
Old 14-10-2013, 15:45   #5

Boat: Catalina 387

Methinks from reading the post, he's got a candidate 30 (with the A4) already picked out. Since his current boat has an A4 he knows the pros and cons of the engine. (I happen to like my A4, since it's _sooo_ much smoother than the diesels used back then)

The catalina is going to feel a lot bigger - which is nice for living aboard.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 18:30   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Thanks for all the help ! (that chart was amazing, thankyou !~!) all the catalina's available right now are atomic 4's, and while the diesel would be nice.... the one I'm looking at has been rebuilt recently. As for liveaboard, zero comparison, the catalina wins hands down with nearly double the internal space (2.2 feet wider and 2.4 longer...) I was more concerned about rougher weather handling. I can tend to get.. uh, caught up in activities and finding myself in a squall is pretty likely it's happened in the past, I'm sure it will happen again. I'm looking at her on Wednesday, and while I've done homework, it doesn't compare to personal experience. !

Danni
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 10:40   #7

Boat: Catalina 387

One of the biggest drawbacks for the Catalina in heavy weather is the huge companionway. (i.e. get massively pooped, and you have a cabin full of water if the boards were out)

Down here in SoCal, we don't see that much weather, so I don't care. But if I was going out in heavy stuff, I would build a swing door of some sort.

A catalina 30 is a pretty stiff boat, due to the beam. But it'd also be a bit more "bobby" than the columbia for the same reason.

For SF weather,I'd make sure the main has more than 1 reef point. A couple selections of headsails would be a big plus too.

Depending on age, the "smile" and compression post issues are always something to look at on a Catalina.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 15:38   #8

Sounds like you're leaning to the Catalina for the space, as a livaboard space is always good I guess.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned so far is the hull construction. Columbia boats are like tanks with super rigid fibreglass and they were made before resin fillers were used widely so you may avoid blistering of the hull altogether.

I have a Columbia and have never owned a Catalina so I cant vouch for or against the Cat for raw hull strength and durability. But I can vouch certainly for the Columbia - when it comes to durability those guys didnt mess around.

Another thing to consider; is who was the designer. Bill Tripp was quite the amazing naval architecht and he did most of the Columbia boats. You may want to check in on who the designer of the Cat you're looking at to see any pros and cons of the designers drawings. I know Tripp managed to make a brick sail like a dream in a lot of cases.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:44   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The Columbia 28 also has a large companionway. So you're probably used to that.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, columbia