Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 13:52   #1

Com-pac 16 or Newport 17 as an intro to sailing

My husband and I are getting into sailing (finally). Looking for a good beginner boat after classes and having done some sailing as teens years ago.

Needs/wants:

Trailer-able- for the first year we will be almost entirely trailering to lakes near our camp in upstate NY while continuing classes nearby locally.

low draft/beachable is a plus - we live on a creek in jersey, after this year we will be storing the boat near backyard dock. high tide = 6 ft everywhere in the creek, but there are some surprises and that's only at high tide. Coming in at anything less than high tide and it would be really nice to know we're not going to run aground.

Tabernacle or hinged mast - the lake we want to learn on and our own backyard access have low bridges. Our plan is to (after 1-2 years mainly trailering) motor out of the creek with the mast down, and then put it up. A hinged design or tabernacle system would make this much easier.

Small, but with a cuddy. Our dog loves to ride on boats but will definitely want a shady place to chill. And it would be nice to have the storage space!

Our 2017 subaru forrester says it can tow 1500 pounds. So we need to be able to trailer less than/close to that number!

Capsize rating isn't too high. We're beginners! haha. We're ready for some good laughs/dumb mistakes but we also don't want to set ourselves up for failure!

In our area, within our budget, we have found a Com-pac 16 and a Newport 17. (Also a Siren 17 and a Vagabond 17 that we are still somewhat considering)

Com-pac 16
Pros:
lots of information online for repairs
low capsize rating (compared to the others anyway) of 2.33
Draft = 1.5 ft
Was used often in the last year
Listed as a "trailerable design"

Cons:
Fixed keel, not beachable
1100 pounds, WITHOUT trailer weight. Is this too close to our towing max for our small SUV?
Does not have a tabernacle mast, we would need to install it

Newport 17
Pros:
800 pounds, nowhere near our towing max
retractable centerboard, saw pictures of it beached (?)
draft 4.75 ft cb down, .75 ft cb up -- clearly trailerable
comes with a hinged mast

Cons:
rare-ish boat. Finding it v hard to find information online.
wasn't used at all in the last 2 years according to owner
capsize rating = 2.7

Quick notes:
siren 17- swing keel, beachable, draft = 4.75 ft -.67 ft, 2.94 capsize rating
vagabond 17- swing keel, listed as beachable (?), draft = 4.17ft - 1.67 ft, 2.95 capsize rating, doesn't come with a motor and already near top of budget.

OK, so I'm really leaning towards the Com-pac 16. I think even tho it's a fixed keel it has such a low draft that we'll be okay even as novices and plus there's less to go wrong (less moving parts?). HOWEVER, that 1100 pound weight is killing me! With our SUV listed at 1500 pound towing max, is that just too close for comfort?

Thanks! Any and all opinions, no matter how biased or arrogant would be appreciated. We're so new to this and want to make a smart decision!
graraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 14:41   #2
lyl

Re: Com-pac 16 or Newport 17 as an intro to sailing

Is your Subaru manual or CVT tranny?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 14:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Is your Subaru manual or CVT tranny?
Manual transmission. 6 speed transmission if that matters (I don't know cars well, clearly)
graraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 16:09   #4
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by graraq View Post
Manual transmission
It's at least better than the CVT for the job, but working with a Compac 16, considering the additional trailer weight, you are pushing the envelope. Subarus' boxer engines produce very low torque at low RPMs. To trailer a 16, I'd recommend a stronger car. I can almost visualize the pressure on the clutch in my head as you try to get the boat out of the water at the ramp. Maybe some folks here accomplished a similar task with a Subaru; I'd love to learn from their experiences. I trailered other things than boats back in time, and I had always made my calculations conservatively. If you want a Compac, maybe a new car, or a truck, shall also be an essential consideration.

Newport 17 has lighter ballast. It might possibly work, but... Let's see if a Subaru owner will step in and enlighten us both.

I'm new to sailing too, and a very helpful moderator here introduced me to the world of Day Sailers. Being centerboard dinghies and having the crew as the only ballast, they are light enough for the purpose. They have no cabins, but you can be creative with them in the name of arranging a shady spot for the dog. The problem is if they are pushed hard enough, they can capsize. Although, I was told that to capsize a Day Sailer, you've got to push it's limits real hard. Still, capsizing might not be a good option for the puppy, so maybe it's time to shop for a car with more towing capacity.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/oday-day-sailer/
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...923283&slide=1

Note: Second thought, even with a Day Sailer, I would only feel comfortable if I had more towing capacity. I don't know how heavy a safe enough trailer would be considering the distances that you are planning to drive...
Old 27-04-2021, 16:51   #5
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
It's at least better than the CVT for the job, but working with a Compac 16, considering the additional trailer weight, you are pushing the envelope. Subarus' boxer engines produce very low torque at low RPMs. To trailer a 16, I'd recommend a stronger car. I can almost visualize the pressure on the clutch in my head as you try to get the boat out of the water at the ramp. Maybe some folks here accomplished a similar task with a Subaru; I'd love to learn from their experiences. I trailered other things than boats back in time, and I had always made my calculations conservatively. If you want a Compac, maybe a new car, or a truck, shall also be an essential consideration.

Newport 17 has lighter ballast. It might possibly work, but... Let's see if a Subaru owner will step in and enlighten us both.

I'm new to sailing too, and a very helpful moderator here introduced me to the world of Day Sailers. Being centerboard dinghies and having the crew as the only ballast, they are light enough for the purpose. They have no cabins, but you can be creative with them in the name of arranging a shady spot for the dog. The problem is if they are pushed hard enough, they can capsize. Although, I was told that to capsize a Day Sailer, you've got to push it's limits real hard. Still, capsizing might not be a good option for the puppy, so maybe it's time to shop for a car with more towing capacity.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/oday-day-sailer/
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...923283&slide=1

Note: Second thought, even with a Day Sailer, I would only feel comfortable if I had more towing capacity. I don't know how heavy a safe enough trailer would be considering the distances that you are planning to drive...
Well, this turned out to be a useless advice!?
Old 27-04-2021, 17:03   #6
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by graraq View Post
OK, so I'm really leaning towards the Com-pac 16. I think even tho it's a fixed keel it has such a low draft that we'll be okay even as novices and plus there's less to go wrong (less moving parts?). HOWEVER, that 1100 pound weight is killing me! With our SUV listed at 1500 pound towing max, is that just too close for comfort?
If I am not mistaken, in 1975 Compac 16s started to come with Keel/Cbrd. I think between 72 to 75, it was fixed fin keel. I guess the Keel/Cbrd version can point better.

I'd strongly recommend the forum below if you want to learn more about trailering the 16.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php
All Compac owners forum site, where I bet there are folks with cars at similar towing capacity. Very active forum - with 14174 Posts just for 16.

Good luck!
Old 28-04-2021, 12:02   #7

Boat: Pearson

I have seen a few people tow a com 16 with small suvs, i dont have any input about that. I know the com pac 16 is a stoutly made boat and can handle itself well under sail. I think it would be a good starter boat for you.
Old 28-04-2021, 12:14   #8

My first sailboat was a Com Pac 16. It was a pretty boat I enjoyed it in the PNW on both Puget Sound and a number of lakes. You're right that it is a stubby, little fixed keel, but we ran it right up to the beach in the shallows. I didn't get too wet walking the last distance.

She was sturdy.
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 22:35   #9

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

Remember, it is also nice to sail a boat that can perform. One doesn’t sail on the true wind, but the apparent wind. If you want experience, then go for a lighter, faster, sailboat, that you will actually “sail” more of the time. If you want to be checking out the local area and have a degree of comfort, go for the Compac. Either way, have fun.
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 22:39   #10

Boat: Mariner 36

Have you looked at a west Wright potter 15 or 19. They have retractable center boards and are easy to sail. I would check their towing weight. Good luck.
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 08:33   #11
lyl

Has anybody here sailed a Keel/Cbrd Compac 16? I wonder if it points well.
Old 01-05-2021, 14:00   #12
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor George View Post
Have you looked at a west Wright potter 15 or 19. They have retractable center boards and are easy to sail. I would check their towing weight. Good luck.
Potter, Compac, Day sailer... All great boats for the purpose. I think what helps to decide which one to buy is what could be found at the close by used sailboat market. The best approach seems like widening options and picking the one that's in good condition. I hope the OP will let us know about their final decision, very exciting...

Tags
newport, sail, sailing