Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 13:11   #16
cruiser

Re: Com Pac 27, opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
In my opinion yes it would be a safe first sailboat.
Maybe not the best to learn on but definitely safe.
Why so big for a first boat? Something smaller with a tiller might be a better learning platform.
Not a good sailboat to learn? I guess you are right. It could be ordered with tiller, but brand new boat as the first boat, not a good idea, I think.
Belle25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 14:15   #17

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle25 View Post
Not a good sailboat to learn? I guess you are right. It could be ordered with tiller, but brand new boat as the first boat, not a good idea, I think.
There are far too many variables to say yes or no and the question is lost in this old thread about a specific boat.

I'd suggest starting a new thread, introduce yourself, what you want to accomplish sailing, where you will sail, what if any experience you have and of course budget.

Maybe even wander over to SA!

If that is you in the avatar there will be countless opportunities to sail on OPBs.

Best of luck to you and stay safe.
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 15:31   #18
cruiser

Quote:
I'd suggest starting a new thread, introduce yourself, what you want to accomplish sailing, where you will sail, what if any experience you have and of course budget.

Maybe even wander over to SA!

If that is you in the avatar there will be countless opportunities to sail on OPBs.
Aw. What is SA and OPB?
Old 20-02-2021, 16:28   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Aw. What is SA and OPB?
Sailing Anarchy (racing oriented, more testerone fueled site) and Other Peoples Boats.

My suggestion, as usual, is dont buy a boat. Newbies are always eager to rush out and buy a boat. You dont need to own a boat to learn to sail. Get some training/experience and sail on OPB. Then, after a few years, you will know more about boats and what you want in one.

Also after a few years you should have enough invitations to crew that you dont really need to buy a boat.

Example: I was already a semi-pro sailor before I bought my first cruising boat. Owning it did not increase my sailing skills at all, but boy did I learn a lot about boat maintenance and cost of ownership!!![emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]

Now, later in life, after having spent enough on boat maintenace to send a few kids to college, Im about to sell my current boat and return to sailing on OPB's without the hassle and cost of maintenance. [emoji3060][emoji2][emoji3060]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 16:46   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My suggestion, as usual, is dont buy a boat. Newbies are always eager to rush out and buy a boat. You dont need to own a boat to learn to sail. Get some training/experience and sail on OPB. Then, after a few years, you will know more about boats and what you want in one.

Also after a few years you should have enough invitations to crew that you dont really need to buy a boat.

Example: I was already a semi-pro sailor before I bought my first cruising boat. Owning it did not increase my sailing skills at all, but boy did I learn a lot about boat maintenance and cost of ownership!!![emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]

Now, later in life, after having spent enough on boat maintenace to send a few kids to college, Im about to sell my current boat and return to sailing on OPB's without the hassle and cost of maintenance. [emoji3060][emoji2][emoji3060]
You know I had heard a saying about that before; it goes like this, "The perfect boat is somebody else's boat."
The problem is I am very antisocial. I don't do well in crews. I can never be a team player. Especially, in a racing environment, I'll be hated. Social functions give me tension headaches. I need serenity.
A used first sailboat won't be that much of a financial burden, and I can single handedly sail it in my own schedule. Where I live, I can dock a boat under 30ft for $200 a year. Nothing fancy, just a dock that you can tie your boat. I don't know how it works or the details. I just have to figure out the depth but I think I'll be fine. how lovely it would be if I could have access to a sailboat whenever I wish...
Old 20-02-2021, 16:50   #21

Boat: Seaward 22

It could be a great or terrible first boat.....depends on how you want to use it. I have a Seaward 22. It is a similar, but smaller design. Doesn't go to weather great, but is comfortable to sail. Great for coastal sailing. Terrible for racing. Doesn't go to weather well, but crack off a bit and she sails well.

The design sails better flat. Reef early and keep the rail out of the water.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 17:43   #22

Quote:
Aw. What is SA and OPB?
Sailing anarchy, another forum, not for the thin skinned but some very experienced sailors.

Other peoples boats
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 06:13   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
You know I had heard a saying about that before; it goes like this, "The perfect boat is somebody else's boat."

The problem is I am very antisocial. I don't do well in crews. I can never be a team player. Especially, in a racing environment, I'll be hated. Social functions give me tension headaches. I need serenity.

A used first sailboat won't be that much of a financial burden, and I can single handedly sail it in my own schedule. Where I live, I can dock a boat under 30ft for $200 a year. Nothing fancy, just a dock that you can tie your boat. I don't know how it works or the details. I just have to figure out the depth but I think I'll be fine. how lovely it would be if I could have access to a sailboat whenever I wish...
Maybe in your case that is a better solution.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:57   #24

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I can’t believe that sending a newbi over to SA is a good idea
Old 22-02-2021, 11:58   #25
cruiser

Well, I think a Catalina 25 will be the one, but first some classes, hopefully in a 22 version. I opened a new thread on the issue. thanks
Old 08-03-2022, 18:02   #26

Quote:
I've posted this on a few other sites without any luck, maybe you fine folks have some knowledge of these boats. There is a 27 on a trailer near here. How do they sail, handle heavy weather, quality of build, headroom, would you buy one? Only 6000 lbs and 3'6" draft, do they get tossed around much? Thanks, Bill
Ok Bmiller, it’s 2022 and I would like to know the rest of the story. You bought the com-pac 27 and you hauled all over the place. Where did you get the trailer? Where did you sail the boat? Did you ever take it off shore? I’m actually considering buying a 2004 com-pac 27/3 that is currently moored in the SanJuans. I’m wondering what you think of the boat?
Bdeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 18:06   #27

So did you ever buy a Com-pac 27/3?
Old 08-03-2022, 18:12   #28

Quote:
Too funny, I got an email notification that this 12 year old thread was revived somehow.
I guess the term "trailerable" is subjective. I bought this boat and trailered from Colorado to Mexico, Washington and southern California. As well as seasonally to and from the reservoir she spent summers on.
Then I stupidly got bigger boat fever and sold it. What an idiot.
If you want I have tons of photos of our "trailersailer" days.
Love to see any photos. How long did you have it? Where did you sail in Washington? Ever take it off shore? What did it take to step the mast?
Old 25-03-2022, 06:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdeana View Post
Ok Bmiller, it’s 2022 and I would like to know the rest of the story. You bought the com-pac 27 and you hauled all over the place. Where did you get the trailer? Where did you sail the boat? Did you ever take it off shore? I’m actually considering buying a 2004 com-pac 27/3 that is currently moored in the SanJuans. I’m wondering what you think of the boat?
Sorry for the delayed response, kind of busy right now.
The boat came with the trailer.
It spent summer months on a mooring at Dillon res in Summit County Colorado.
I trailered it to Southern California, San Carlos Mexico and the Pacific Northwest.
As far as "offshore" we sailed across the Sea of Cortez from San Carlos to Santa Rosalia and back.
Stepping the mast was a process, but it had a hinged mast step. A tutorial would take some time to write.
Loved the boat, if it suits your needs buy it. Check the bilge for rotted plywood, that's how the formed it in the poured concrete ballast. Relatively easy fix.
Only reason I sold was due to big boat fever, biggest mistake I ever made.
If you have any specific questions I'll try to get to them right away.
Good luck in the boat search.

Here's links to my photo site.

https://bmiller1959.smugmug.com/Sail...g/Mexico-2008/
https://bmiller1959.smugmug.com/Sail...-Islands-2008/
https://bmiller1959.smugmug.com/Sail...ating/Com-Pac/
https://bmiller1959.smugmug.com/Sail...a-Island-2007/
Old 01-04-2022, 15:38   #30

Boat: Com-Pac 27

I have one. It’s a wonderful live aboard for something that’s under 30 feet. Does not sail like a total pig, is good quality construction and is beautiful to look at. The folks at Hutchins (the maker of Com-Pac) is a phone call away if you need to source new parts or have a specific question. There is also an owners forum; cpyoa.org

Good luck!
seaductive is offline   Reply With Quote