Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 02:37   #61

Re: Comparing other heavy displacement boats to a Hans Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Its easier to see the point if you've experienced 50 to 60knot winds and 20ft to 30ft waves.
Been there, four short handed Bass Strait crossings and a couple of thousand miles in the Tasman.

My point is the HC isn't that much heavier than your normal quality world cruiser, what is the big deal?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:48   #62

We chose a Peterson Formosa 46 for our journey to the tip of Chile from Canada. She's 33k with a modified keel and 1100sq ft of sail not including the Staysail. She will easily do 7 knots in 13 mph Comfort in the Rough is excellent and we are very pleased with her overall performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forumk
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 16:19   #63

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Then there is this Hans Christian-

http://www.jordanyachts.com/wp-conte...lorer-4750.pdf
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 16:59   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
So, what are we talking about WRT displacement.

HC 38's are around 12.5 tons, 43 is around 15 tons.

Valiant 40 is around 10 tons, as is a Corbin.

PS 40 is around 11 tons.

Ingrid 38 11.5 tons

I have a nice stable 36 footer, post IOR design, weighs 6.5 tons.

I can't see that the the Hans Christian range is much heavier than the standard cruisers, and don't really get the point they are more comfortable, especially if they can't sail until you see whitecaps.
I don't think the point is that the HC are any more comfortable than the heavy cruisers you mentioned. Maybe it's a bit heavier, my guess from inconsequential stuff like solid bronze travelers etc., but those boats you mention are all strong boats... or at least not lightweight like most production fin keeled spade rudder boats.
Personally, it's not a comfort thing for me anyway, and I am not sure the HC etc are more comfortable for everyone. I like the strength and the fact that the boat stays on track, does not shudder, has a protected rudder and doesn't feel like its bending etc.
But a heavy double ender can wallow in the seas... and that is not the most pleasant thing. I'll take the jerk motion of a lighter boat or cat over the diagonal wallow any day!
My preference would be something that few seem to build: a long keel, protected rudder traditional shape without all the extra weight. I mean why does building that shape require the glass to be 1.5-2" thick etc etc?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 22:32   #65

As someone who currently has a Hans Christian 43 mk, I will try to comment on the OP's questions and the responses that many posted while remaining as non bias as possible.

The HC43 from king dragon is a very, very well build boat. The late 70's early 80's 38t and some 33t's built at the sha fin factory are the boats you hear about with the deck, compression post, cabin top, and blister problem. Still well built just after 30 years the wear and tear is finally reaching a breaking point.

My 43 is 18 tons dry and as many would expect is very heavy to move in any light breeze. I have never had a problem getting it to move in 6 knots of wind and we can make 3.5 knots with 10 knots of wind and 6.5 knots with 15 knots of wind. Speed is never the problem with our boats and weather helm balance is really dependent upon sail interval and not actual rig setup. When it is too light to sail we can motor with our yanmar at 7 knots. I have never found occasions when others were sailing the "lighter" displacement hulls and we could not. Even with lighter boats when it is less than 7 knots most are motoring anyways. If your purpose is a leasure sunday sail, this is not the boat for you. This is the boat to take around the world on long ocean passages.

Why did I choose a HC 43, it had the space and comfort that we were looking for. Not only in the comfort of heavy seas but the interior layout is spacious and well thought out. We can control the boat single handed and like many are saying, when other boats are trying to control hobby and wallowing by reefing down and controlling helm, we are pushing on while making dinner and drinks down below. As far as the last post of "wallowing" I am not familiar with how that pertains to a modified full keel boat. A boat surfing down a wave with a fin or bulb keel will wallow but a full keel should never wallow unless the helm is layed over when cresting a wave or they have pulled the sails and heaving to in heavy seas. She is by far the most sea kindly sailboat I have ever sailed on in her size class. What brought my interest into a HC was the well documented story of several boats going from Tonga ( I believe) to NZ. 4 Boats were lost, 3 had severe damage and when the HC pulled into port they asked how the owner made it. He said, "we went below and took a nap."

Yes you can find a similar boat but... to compare a Hans to a Colin Archer is like comparing your Toyota to a Ford. They have completely different design displacement and balance. Yes all have the same overall complextion and structure but the keel draw, waterline, S.O. and P.I. ratio are completely different.

Would I buy a HC again? Without question. Is it right for you? The real answer is that HC's are alot of work. All boat are alot of work but I have found that the time to maintain our boat is substantial over our last boat a Pearson. The look that makes most turn thier heads and say "Oh," takes alot of time and maintanance. The traditional dutch look is the goal but you will pay for it in dock time fixing and maintaning. Not that it is not worth it or rewarding but you need to go in with both eyes open.

Good luck on your search and please let me know if you have any other HC questions.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, men