Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:27   #16

Boat: S&S 30
Have a look at the S&S 30.
Regards Jim
Jim Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
I understand that the CD 33 are much roomier then a Bristol 32 but I have no first hand knowledge. How else do these compare? which is more bang for buck which is more fun to sail?
I have a CD30 and looked at the 33. I know the bristols, I have worked on them and sailed them. I think the CD is better in sailing performance and build quality. I am not putting the bristol down ( I love em!) just saying that the CD are better.

If I had to face a bad storm offshore, I would pick the CD to ride it out in. Low freeboard, so less windage. Points like a demon, so I can sail away from danger. Full keel, so nice motion comfort. Strong hull and deck-to-hull joint connection and bow construction. IMHO a safe boat. The storage room on a CD is very lacking. The internal liner that CDs incorporate really hamper storage capacity, but many CD owners have remedied this by creating storage compartments in the dead space areas through out the boat. Check out Cape Dory owners webite it is a great place to see ideas specific to CD (very friendly people too). The biggest drawback to a CD is that internal liner, it really limits access to the hull. If you have a collision and become holed, the ability to get to the area from the inside can be very difficult. Cape Dorys are not roomy compared to the modern boat designs so they are not for everyone. A Cd30 is perfect for a singlehander and the 33 seems to be great for a couple. Here is a website that compares production boats stats like motion comfort and capsize ratio.

Hope this helps,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:06   #18

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
The internal liner[s] ... really hamper storage capacity... The biggest drawback ... is that internal liner, it really limits access to the hull. If you have a collision and become holed, the ability to get to the area from the inside can be very difficult...

Excellent points !! I used to say I’d never have another boat with a liner – or at least one with a full liner, but I’ve tempered that a bit… nonetheless, I absolutely agree with your cautions in catastrophic events, but despite the fact that liners can give a sterile clean look below decks, they can also be miserable in marginally elderly boats (of which this thread first spoke…) I don’t know when liners first became the “in thing” but I lived aboard a late-70s boat for some years – the full cabin-liner was a constant annoyance and frustration… simple stuff like adding a strategic handrail required major surgery and/or very delicate maneuvers to correctly bolt down hardware with fasteners hidden from eyesight… and the electrical stuff was a pure nightmare; everything hidden from view and largely inaccessible… regrettably, some of the nicest sailing boats in the modest-priced category are built like thermos bottles…
Old 12-12-2009, 22:58   #19

Boat: Vagabond 42
As an ex Nich 32 owner, definitely the Nich, followed by the Rival 32 with the Contessa in third place.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 09:50   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Yep. Not very nice inside though. For a long trip I would put Contessa above the Sadler - the Sadler has an exposed rudder (it also has the more modern and faster underbody though).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:57   #21

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Here are a few places you can go to collect good quality information about boats. Sailboat data has the details on thousands of designs.
Carl's Image-ination has a set of calculators they allow you to compare the numbers
PHRF New England has many boats and their handicapping numbers. Faster boats have lower number, the differences are in seconds per mile.

SailboatData.com - sailboat database with specs., drawings and photos - more than 8000 listings
Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats
PHRF New England

Have fun!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 13:32   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

30 foot? Mmmmmm. Let me think.........

Seadog Built in the UK by Reg Freeman Yachts from early 60's to early 70's. Mostly triple keelers, but a handful of single keelers (with slightly deeper keel and bigger rig)......couple have been RTW, amongst other far flung places. I beleive only a couple in the US.......and 1 tied to the dock (for far too long ) over here

Not to everyone's tastes in looks or layout (aft cabin & ketch rigged) and sailing ability more like a MK2 Landrover than a Ferrari. The unkind would say also looks like the former - but I prefer the terms "workmanlike" and "unpretentious"

"Wayluya" Seadog! - Seadog in Detail

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 15:16   #23

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Dufour Arpege 30

Check out the Dufour Arpege 30.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 06:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Check out the Dufour Arpege 30.
The Dufour Arpege definitely belongs on the list. I have recently seen a couple advertised that were apparently in good shape and pretty inexpensive.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 10:35   #25

Seen a Seadog in NZ. Dig it. The Arpege veery beamy - gives space inside. They say Arpege is faast!

The bad thing - not built anymore, so maybe not so easy to find a sound copy.

I think one of the nicest small (under 30') boats is the IF. They are fast, safe and there are so many and so widespread, that one can always find a good one to fit and go.

b.
Old 26-12-2009, 10:59   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I agree with b except the only downside to the IF (26ft International Folkboat) is its interior space and unless you find one with a small inboard diesel it is really inconvenient to find a place to hang an outboard and the well will only take a very small engine.
They are definitely seaworth great boats that have beautiful lines and sail very well.
regards,
Old 26-12-2009, 17:30   #27

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Personal favorite from that era, Tartan 30. Beautiful design, variable production. PHRF NE is 171. Hardly fast any more. A shade faster than a J24. Still a stunningly handsome craft. There is one moored near us in Boston. I love to look at her swinging on her mooring.

Arpege from 1967 rates PHRF NE at 195. The venerable Alberg 30 rates 228.

Interesting to look them up on sailboatdata.com and then plug the numbers into Carl's Sail Boat Calculator and see how the vessels compare.

Norman
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 17:32   #28

Yes, IF is not very spacious, probably just good for one or intimate two.

b.
Old 28-12-2009, 02:19   #29

WOOLLACOTT KETCH 30 ft for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand Anyone familer with these Woollacotts?
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 04:27   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
For what it's worth, I'm a big Alberg 30 fan. It's a plucky little cruiser and has a rather large owners association here on the Chesapeake.

Tags
seaworthy