Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 01:35   #16

Boat: Nantucket 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not think there is much relationship between mountain climbing the 'alpine style' and crossing oceans / crusing. True - both are beautiful pastimes. However, ocean passages and cruising call for so much stuff to be dragged along - water, provisions, fuel, spare sails, spares, anchors, anchor chain, personal belongings, charts, pilots, mathoms... and so on and so forth...

b.
Thank you barnakiel for your insight on your post, I am definately weighing up what you have said.

I do want to clarify that, I think if you knew how much equipment is invloved in climbing high altitude remote alpine peaks in forigen countries. Or taking on bigwalls that can have you litterly living on the end of ropes in a verticle world for weeks a time (once we were set back and a 10 day bigwall climb turned into 21 its a long time to not even be able to stand on a flat surface other then the portaledge youve hauled up to sleep on.) You would see how it can be relevent. Ill tell you that we have climbed peaks that are as remote as being in the middle of the ocean, as far as rescue goes you might as well be on the moon. Higher then helicopters fly and no rescuers to come even if they did recieve an Epirp signal. You F up in places like that and they wont even recover the bodies.

So all Im saying is that what some might deem too small based only on carrying capacity, might not be too small for others and thier ultimate goals. On our past expeditions Its not a matter of grabbing what you need and packing it. Its a matter of how many grams does it weigh? Do I really need a third back up? Can I modify it to save some weight without comprimising safety? is there a lighter safe alternative......We even cut the tags off our clothes, Im not joking when I say we count every gram.

Im not saying this to say an H28 is the best. What I am saying is as far as the info I have on them I dont see why it could not be an option? Im always willing to learn.

I am very interested, since you speak from experience as to the rest of your post and why you do feel they are only suitable for a desperate crew of 2?

Also what modifications do you feel are required on one for say crossing to Ausatralia from NZ? What upgrades would you do if you were considering one?

This is ver much the information I am looking for and the fact that you speak from experience and first hand knowledge makes it very valuable.

thanks
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 13:29   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Provisions/water(-weight) wise there is little to compare: just calculate how many pounds per inch she can carry then consider how much the sailing characteristics change with load per specific design, and you are basically home. The boat that handles load best wins.

Info at SailCalc will help.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 14:06   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Comments by Forum Members...

There are two points that I want to be clear about here.
1) A Member who starts a thread does not "own" the thread.
2) If a Member believes that a proposed course of action is unwise then they should feel free to say so, provided the response is within our rules.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 21:32   #19

Boat: Nantucket 33
Hi Boracay, I hope I have not come off like I am trying to own the thread as that is not my intention. However I do feel I have the right to try and keep things on track so that the thread does not start going all over the place or gets hijacked. Am I wrong?
I agree with having the right to raise cause for concearn if it is safety related. However do I not also have equal right to debate the comment? If not anyone can say something is not safe without full knowledge and then it becomes as if it is fact because it can not be disputed?

If I am out of line or breaking forum policy please advise me.
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:48   #20
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Hi Mischief, We are 5 months into our circumnavagation and hail from Sydney. Both of the boats you mention are great yachts and if we were not sailing around the world would probably own one . If i was in your position and taking into account your criteria i would look at yachts like Bodens from memory they did a 32 or 34 i think the model was called a Temptress and i have seen some pretty ok ones within your budget.

Ferro . 2 weeks ago at Percy Isles we came across a couple in a 36 foot Hartley ferrocement yacht It was built in 1974 was loaded with gear ,windvane ,radar, HF, covers,eutectic etc and looked great {in fact i thought it was fiberglass} .They paid just under 40k and it was ready to go cruising.

Hope this helps .

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:15   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
Hi Eleven, Im not sure I understand where you got the 3 day limit [sic: 3 day weather window]? ...
Many cruisers use 3 days as a general rule of thumb, for accepting a reasonably accurate weather forecast.

The shorter the time period, and the more limited the geographic area involved, the more accurate a weather forecast is likely to be. For periods of less than a day, a forecast covering an area of 100 sq mi is likely to be quite dependable. Predictions about weather patterns six months from now, for the Atlantic Ocean, are likely to be much less reliable.

Weather forecasts for can generally be grouped into 3 broad ranges:

Short range forecast of up to 48 hours, the forecast accuracy is about 70 to 80 %.
Heavy rainfall, Thunderstorms can often be accurately predicted about 24 hours in advance, and Wind velocity, Rainfall amount about 36 hours in advance.

Extended forecast of up to 5 days, the accuracy is about 60 to 70 %.
The occurrence of rainfall, & temperature intensity can often be accurately predicted up to about 5 days in advance.

Long range forecast of up to 30 days forecast accuracy is 50 to 60 %.
Departures from “normal” Temperature & Rainfall Trends/Patterns can often be accurately predicted about a month in advance.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote