Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 11:39   #1

Boat: Swan 40
Compass Leaking...

Took the yacht out the weekend and noticed the liquid in the main compass was low. I thought the bubble was slightly larger a couple of weeks back but nothing like this.

Luckily I think I have the original documentation but can anyone offer advice on how to top the liquid up. Can you do it on all compasses or are some sealed?

You can just make out the name, will dig up the instructions from my filling later his week but just wanted to put it out there in the meantime.

Stay safe everyone.

D
jamrocksailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:02   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Compass Leaking...

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:09   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

I've been able to get a few more years out of "sealed" compasses by drilling a hole in the globe, refilling, and closing the hole with wax.
Old 10-05-2021, 13:28   #4

Boat: Swan 40

Thank kindly, will have a look. Hoping when I find the original manual there is a way to refill it.

Have a great day.

D
jamrocksailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 16:56   #5

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We rebuilt ours a few years ago. Pretty easy project! Just google your compass manufacturer and see if parts are available.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 17:30   #6

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrocksailing View Post
Took the yacht out the weekend and noticed the liquid in the main compass was low. I thought the bubble was slightly larger a couple of weeks back but nothing like this.

Luckily I think I have the original documentation but can anyone offer advice on how to top the liquid up. Can you do it on all compasses or are some sealed?

You can just make out the name, will dig up the instructions from my filling later his week but just wanted to put it out there in the meantime.

Stay safe everyone.

D
If you remove the compass from its housing you will probably find that when turned upside down there is a hole/port into which you can add oil. We use unscented mineral oil (Baby oil) for this. Haven't had to do it yet on my current boat but I Imagine the process is similar over a variety of compasses.
~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 17:38   #7

Many years back had a customer who had a ritche globemaster leak.
He simply wanted a new one bought and installed.
Done.
I contacted ritchie about the old one. They said yes they had a problem with a few diaghrams. They sent me a new one and told me the following:

Instal new diaghram. Before filling with ritchie compass oil, which I had purchased, put the oil under vacuum overnight. I cannot remeber the vacuum pressure but I used an oil vac system to get the vacuum.

Then put the oil into the compass. dont worry about a bubble or two....they will go.
I did exactly as they said and exactly what they said happened.

Hope this helps.

This post is for the OP....I have no interest in argueing or dealing with the trolls
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 17:42   #8

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Many years back had a customer who had a ritche globemaster leak.
He simply wanted a new one bought and installed.
Done.
I contacted ritchie about the old one. They said yes they had a problem with a few diaghrams. They sent me a new one and told me the following:

Instal new diaghram. Before filling with ritchie compass oil, which I had purchased, put the oil under vacuum overnight. I cannot remeber the vacuum pressure but I used an oil vac system to get the vacuum.

Then put the oil into the compass. dont worry about a bubble or two....they will go.
I did exactly as they said and exactly what they said happened.

Hope this helps.

This post is for the OP....I have no interest in argueing or dealing with the trolls
You are right, I forgot to mention to replace the diaphram (the presumed cause of the leak) as part of the refilling exercise.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass