Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 15:52   #196
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Reference the Frequently Asked Question at the Environmental Protection Agency for clarification of TYPE III and Composting Toilets.

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...tions#pumpouts

"Can I use a composting toilet onboard my vessel?

Composting toilets may be considered a Type III marine sanitation device by the U.S. Coast Guard. Type III devices that store sewage and flushwater at ambient air pressure and temperature are not subject to formal certification by the U.S. Coast Guard, as long as the device complies with the following requirement: "Be designed to prevent the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage (Type III)." Please note that most composting toilets have not been examined by the U.S. Coast Guard. Instead, in most cases, the device manufacturer attests that the device meets the aforementioned requirements.

The contents of both the liquid waste container and the compost chamber must be properly disposed of such that no overboard discharge occurs.

See 33 CFR 159.12(a) and 33 CFR 159.53(c) for the relevant statutory language.
as to my home built unit I as the manufacturer attest to the fact that it meets all relevant rules and regulations in effect as of the date of manufacture.

Does that cover it ????
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 15:58   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Sorry but you are incorrect. The rules are clear. The device must meet very specific standards as verified by a laboratory, and be labelled to very specific standards.

A luggable loo and your home built does not qualify.
Quote:
Sorry but you are incorrect. The rules are clear. The device must meet very specific standards as verified by a laboratory, and be labelled to very specific standards.

A luggable loo and your home built does not qualify.
Ummmm.... Once again, not correct. The MSD Type III device need not meet any laboratory standard whatsoever. It just needs to contain effluent - a very binary test. Just as the US has variances (NDZ for example) , Canada does have slightly different regs, especially for inland lakes and rivers where the MSD must be only able to be pumped out (Ontario of course) but those are the exceptions, not rules.

Rod, first rule when you're in a hole is to stop digging. It's time for you to stop digging. No matter how many times you say you're an expert and everyone else is wrong, you've been consistently on the wrong side of the facts. You are welcome to your opinion, but not your own facts.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 16:09   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
as to my home built unit I as the manufacturer attest to the fact that it meets all relevant rules and regulations in effect as of the date of manufacture.

Does that cover it ????
Yes, but be sure that it is used solely for keeping your poo and pee from being discharged overboard, and not for dual use as say a popcorn bowl or an ice bucket, punch bowl, wash basin, or a potable water tote.

It is really easy to make a compost toilet. Much easier to construct than say a two story outhouse. It is a bit of challenge to clean out the pit of a outhouse, one has to move the house, then dig the dung to relocate. With a two story outhouse, there can be twice the volume in the same size hole. Our outhouse in the mountains of Montana is a three holer, two adult sizes holes and one child sized hole on a shared bench. Will need to use the back hoe to lift it and dig out the dung soon as it has filled up over the years. Lots of good compost to spread on the acreage.

Actually it not too dissimilar to say marking your product of manufacturing with a CE mark which is a self declaration.

"The CE marking represents a manufacturer’s declaration that products comply with the EU’s New Approach Directives. These directives not only apply to products within the EU but also for products that are manufactured in or designed to be sold in the EEA. This makes the CE marking recognizable worldwide even to those unfamiliar with the EEA.

HOW DOES THE CE MARK WORK?
A CE Mark is a symbol that must be affixed to many products before they can be sold on the European market. The mark indicates that a product:

Fulfills the requirements of relevant European product directives
Meets all the requirements of the relevant recognized European harmonized performance and safety standards
Is fit for its purpose and will not endanger lives or property."

The "performance and safety standards" for a TYPE III device are extremely basic. Does it not leak pee or poo overboard?
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 16:22   #199

Another primitive TYPE III MSD

A lady's Go Cup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Type III for ladies.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	208217  
Old 05-02-2020, 16:42   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Ummmm.... Once again, not correct. The MSD Type III device need not meet any laboratory standard whatsoever. It just needs to contain effluent - a very binary test. Just as the US has variances (NDZ for example) , Canada does have slightly different regs, especially for inland lakes and rivers where the MSD must be only able to be pumped out (Ontario of course) but those are the exceptions, not rules.

Rod, first rule when you're in a hole is to stop digging. It's time for you to stop digging. No matter how many times you say you're an expert and everyone else is wrong, you've been consistently on the wrong side of the facts. You are welcome to your opinion, but not your own facts.
https://nsboats.com/boats-with-marine-toilets/

Canada’s new federal regulations called the “Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations” came into force in Canada on March 30, 2012. These regulations replaced (with only minor changes) the “Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships and for Dangerous Chemicals” which had been in effect since May 3, 2007.

The new regulations cover the discharge of sewage, oil and oily substances, other noxious or dangerous chemicals, and garbage from vessels. They also cover air pollution from vessels and prohibit the use of organotin anti-fouling paint.

This Tech Tip explains Canada’s requirements for pleasure boats and small commercial vessels that will be operated in Canada or the US and that are fitted with a marine toilet. It does not cover boats that are to be exported to the EU.

Definitions
For purposes of the Canada’s sewage discharge requirements, ‘small vessels’ are those that are less than 400 Gross Registered Tons and carry less than 15 persons. In the US, small vessels are inspected or un-inspected vessels that are less than 65′ LOA.

‘Sewage’ is defined as human waste from toilets and does not include ‘grey water’ from galleys or washing-facilities. In Canada, sewage also includes animal and medical waste. Sewage may be either un-treated (raw sewage) or treated to various levels of fecal coliform count.

Canadian Regulations
The new Canadian regulations apply to all vessels that operate in Canadian controlled waters and Canadian vessels that operate anywhere in the world.

The previous regulations provided a grace period for existing vessels and those that were under constructions. This grace period expired on May 3, 2012 so all vessels must now comply with the regulations.

The parts of the regulations that deal with sewage discharge are covered in section 96. While compliance with the Regs is the responsibility of the vessel operator, boatbuilders need to be aware of the requirements, and equip boats they build so that operators can comply with the specific discharge rules for the area in which they are operating.

For practical purposes, small vessel operators and boatbuilders need to consider three different areas where the boat might operate in Canada. The areas are:

inland waters – where no treated or untreated sewage can be discharged overboard
designated sewage areas – where only sewage treated to a very low level of fecal coliform (14mg/100L) can be discharged (e.g. Bras-d’Or Lakes and several areas on the west coast)
all other waters – where various options to discharge treated or untreated sewage are allowed (see section 96 paragraphs (1)(e), (2), (3) and (4))

Required equipment for Canada
Small vessels are not required to be equipped with a toilet, but if one is installed than the regulations require that the vessel be fitted with:

a holding tank that is designed and installed as specified in section 88; SEE BELOW or
a Marine Sanitation Device (MSD) which is a sewage treatment plant that meets one of the options specified in section 90.

NOTE – Facilities for the temporary storage of sewage such as portable toilets like a porta-pottie are allowed on vessels that are less than 15 gross tonnage and are not certified to carry more than 15 persons. However, portable toilets are subject to the disposal requirements of the Reg (see section 96). Portable toilets are clearly intended for very small boats where it is not feasible to install a proper toilet with a holding tank or a treatment system, and, although they can be dumped overboard where disposal is allowed under section 96, they are intended to be taken ashore and dumped into a septic system.

NOTE – USCG approved Type I Marine Sanitation Devices (MSDs) are not legal in Canada. An example of a popular Type I MSD sewage treatment system is the Lectrasan, manufactured by Raritan, that uses electricity to create chlorine from salt water, which then disinfects the sewage. Type II MSDs however are legal in Canada, except in designated sewage areas as defined in the Regs. Type II MSDs use a biological process to breakdown the sewage, which is then disinfected with chemicals that are put into the MSD by the vessel operator.

US Regulations
Under the federal Clean Water Act it is illegal to discharge untreated (raw) sewage from a vessel within 3 miles of shore (the territorial waters) of the United States, in the Great Lakes and in navigable rivers. It is generally legal to discharge treated sewage except in a No Discharge Area. A No Discharge Area is a designated body of water in which the discharge of treated and untreated boat sewage is prohibited.

Recreational boats are not required to be equipped with a toilet but, if the boat has an installed toilet, it must also have a US Coast Guard approved Marine Sanitation Device. Note: in the US a holding tank is called a Type III MSD.

Required equipment for USA
There are three types of Marine Sanitation Devices or MSDs:

Type I MSDs discharge chemically treated effluent having a fecal coliform bacterial count not greater than 1000 per 100 millilitres of water and no visible floating solids.
Type II MSDs discharge chemically treated effluent having a fecal coliform bacterial count of less than 200 per 100 millilitres and suspended solids not greater than 150 milligrams per litre.
Type III MSDs are devices designed to store sewage until it can be pumped out at a pump-out facility or discharged outside the territorial seas boundary of three miles from shore. These are typically called “holding tanks”.
Vessels 65′ LOA and under may install a Type I, Type II or Type III MSD. Vessels over 65′ LOA must install a Type II or Type III.

Portable toilets or ‘porta-potties’ are not considered installed toilets and are not subject to the MSD regulations. They are, however, subject to the disposal regulations. A Type III MSD (i.e. holding tank) and ‘porta-potties’ are the only sanitary equipment that can be used in a No Discharge Area.

Designing and Installing Marine Sanitation Systems (Canada and the US)
Before the enactment of the Canada Shipping Act in 2001 and new pollution regulations in 2002, there was no regulation against discharging sewage in Canadian coastal waters. The new regulations brought Canadian law more in line with the US although there are still some significant differences. The most obvious difference is that the Canadian rules require the boat to move at the fastest speed possible when sewage is being discharged overboard. For practical purposes this eliminates the option of using a Y-valve to enable direct discharge from a toilet. Also, Type I MSD sewage treatment systems (e.g. Lectrasan by Raritan) are not legal in Canada since they do not meet Canadian requirements for fecal coliform count.

Holding tanks

Section 88 For the purposes of subsection 86(1), a holding tank must

(a) be constructed so that it does not compromise the integrity of the hull;

(b) be constructed of structurally sound material that prevents the tank contents from leaking;

(c) be constructed so that the potable water system and other systems cannot become contaminated;

(d) be resistant to corrosion by sewage;

(e) have an adequate volume for the amount of sewage that could be reasonably expected to be produced on a voyage in waters where the discharge of sewage is not authorized by section 96;

(f) be provided with a discharge connection and piping system for the removal of the tank contents at a reception facility;

(g) be designed so that the level of sewage in the tank can be determined without the tank being opened and without contacting or removing any of the tank contents, or be equipped with a device that allows the determination to be made;

(h) in the case of a vessel, other than a pleasure craft, that operates solely on the Great Lakes and their connecting waters, be equipped with an alarm that indicates when the tank is 75% full by volume; and

(i) be equipped with a ventilation device that

(i) has its outlet located on the exterior of the vessel and in a safe location away from ignition sources and areas usually occupied by people,

(ii) prevents the build-up within the tank of pressure that could cause damage to the tank,

(iii) is designed to minimize clogging by the contents of the tank or by climatic conditions such as snow or ice,

(iv) is constructed of material that cannot be corroded by sewage, and

(v) has a flame screen of non-corrosive material fitted to the vent outlet.

The tonnage of vessels may be determined in accordance with the Vessel Registration and Tonnage Regulations and TP 13430, either by using the Assigned Formal Tonnage, the Simplified Method or by a duly appointed Tonnage Measurer.

For vessels of not more than 12 metres in length, you can choose to use the “Assigned Formal Tonnage” (non-calculated tonnage). Assigned Formal Tonnage simply means linking a tonnage number to the length of the vessel. Should you require an accurate tonnage calculation, use Form 4A or 4B.
Not more than 8.5m = gross tonnage of 4.99
More than 8.5m but not more than 10.5m = gross tonnage of 9.99
More than 10.5m but not more than 12m = gross tonnage of 14.99

If the vessel is to be measured using the Simplified Method, this method applies for the following vessels:
Monohull vessels up to and including 15 metres tonnage measurement length (TML) - use Form 4A Simplified Method of Tonnage Measurement [PDF version].
“Monohull vessel” means a vessel having not more than a single tier of deckhouses and/or superstructures (including breaks that are also being regarded as one tier of superstructures) whose total combined length does not exceed 70% of TML to be measured.
Simple multihull vessels up to and including 15 metres tonnage measurement length (TML) - use Form 4B Tonnage Measurement of a Simple Multihull Vessel [PDF version].
“Simple multihull vessel” means a flat platform installed on two or more pontoons.
Old 05-02-2020, 18:07   #201

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Hmmm....

4. How do you get the bacteria and virus ridden feces / fibre mixture from the toilet to the disposal area (overboard or into a bag to be dealt with by others) without carrying it through the vessel from the head to the cockpit? (What about that toilet paper if kept separate?)

Is there anything stated in this post that is incorrect?

If so, please advise?

Wow!!

Ok. Maybe I should be in the market for a hazmat suit with a slit in the that back, and start developing new potty training habits. Better yet, stop shi...ting altogether. And of course changing baby diapers is best left only to the professionals. Good thing for dog owners that their droppings are so wonderful.

Good grief !!
Is this toilet war still raging?
Old 05-02-2020, 18:12   #202

Boat: Formosa 41

I know this is crazy but I picture myself filling a few diapers with the solids contents of my Nature’s Head.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 18:29   #203
cruiser

" If dumped into a trash bag and dropped ashore in a refuse bin, especially when visiting remote and under-developed areas, do you always verify that the local waste disposal process is handled appropriately by individuals trained in handling human waste, and dealt with in an eco-friendly manner?

I haven't sailed all over the place but have traveled out of North America enough to know that the vast majority of peoples do not even have the ability to flush toilet paper....been to Greece??..Mexico???..Hawaii??. It is highly doubtful some place in the middle of nowhere has a developed sewage system.. I think this is a symptom of "being privileged'? Many areas of Western Canada don't even have adequate sewage systems....

I don't think getting rid of the "dry" is much of an issue at all.... just don't dump it into the wind.

The dry is great fertilizer for plants.. I wouldn't use it for growing food...

You are aware that the chickpea industry primarily uses fertilizer from sewage waste facilities. They use HUMAN WASTE to grow them!... I work for USDA.. I deal with those farmers every week.

Hows that hummus???
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 18:31   #204

Boat: Rafiki 37

As I said at the beginning, those who actually own and use these heads generally seem very pleased with them. The negative comments are mostly from those who have no actual experience.

If there is anyone still around who has honest questions about these heads, I and the other actual users are more than happy to help.
Old 05-02-2020, 18:54   #205
cruiser

I plan to use composting. I also like the idea of no thru hull... fewer ways for water to get in the better imHo! The reduction in odor caused from a tank also appeals to me greatly. Scent molecules have direct contact to the brain. If you smell crap... it is literally touching your brain... hows that for sanitary???!!
Being from the PacNW we champion a "green" lifestyle... In fact we just became first in States (Wa) to allow for human composting. So now you can take grannies "mush" and sprinkle her in your garden to return viablity to the land... Yes.. compost...not cremains.

I once came up on deck only to observe my skipper with his azz hanging over the rail... yikes!!...I figure that happens alot while far out. I dont know if I would do that to take a dump... i expect that will be the norm to take a wizz.. at least for the fellas..
Old 05-02-2020, 18:59   #206
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, but be sure that it is used solely for keeping your poo and pee from being discharged overboard, and not for dual use as say a popcorn bowl or an ice bucket, punch bowl, wash basin, or a potable water tote.

It is really easy to make a compost toilet. Much easier to construct than say a two story outhouse. It is a bit of challenge to clean out the pit of a outhouse, one has to move the house, then dig the dung to relocate. With a two story outhouse, there can be twice the volume in the same size hole. Our outhouse in the mountains of Montana is a three holer, two adult sizes holes and one child sized hole on a shared bench. Will need to use the back hoe to lift it and dig out the dung soon as it has filled up over the years. Lots of good compost to spread on the acreage.

Actually it not too dissimilar to say marking your product of manufacturing with a CE mark which is a self declaration.

"The CE marking represents a manufacturer’s declaration that products comply with the EU’s New Approach Directives. These directives not only apply to products within the EU but also for products that are manufactured in or designed to be sold in the EEA. This makes the CE marking recognizable worldwide even to those unfamiliar with the EEA.

HOW DOES THE CE MARK WORK?
A CE Mark is a symbol that must be affixed to many products before they can be sold on the European market. The mark indicates that a product:

Fulfills the requirements of relevant European product directives
Meets all the requirements of the relevant recognized European harmonized performance and safety standards
Is fit for its purpose and will not endanger lives or property."

The "performance and safety standards" for a TYPE III device are extremely basic. Does it not leak pee or poo overboard?
yep and it is :-):-):-):-):-)
there is a thread about it If any are interested . Also happy to answer actual questions about my composting head .
Old 05-02-2020, 19:06   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
https://nsboats.com/boats-with-marine-toilets/

Canada’s new federal regulations called the “Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations” came into force in Canada on March 30, 2012. These regulations replaced (with only minor changes) the “Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships and for Dangerous Chemicals” which had been in effect since May 3, 2007.

The new regulations cover the discharge of sewage, oil and oily substances, other noxious or dangerous chemicals, and garbage from vessels. They also cover air pollution from vessels and prohibit the use of organotin anti-fouling paint.

This Tech Tip explains Canada’s requirements for pleasure boats and small commercial vessels that will be operated in Canada or the US and that are fitted with a marine toilet. It does not cover boats that are to be exported to the EU.

Definitions
For purposes of the Canada’s sewage discharge requirements, ‘small vessels’ are those that are less than 400 Gross Registered Tons and carry less than 15 persons. In the US, small vessels are inspected or un-inspected vessels that are less than 65′ LOA.

‘Sewage’ is defined as human waste from toilets and does not include ‘grey water’ from galleys or washing-facilities. In Canada, sewage also includes animal and medical waste. Sewage may be either un-treated (raw sewage) or treated to various levels of fecal coliform count.

Canadian Regulations
The new Canadian regulations apply to all vessels that operate in Canadian controlled waters and Canadian vessels that operate anywhere in the world.

The previous regulations provided a grace period for existing vessels and those that were under constructions. This grace period expired on May 3, 2012 so all vessels must now comply with the regulations.

The parts of the regulations that deal with sewage discharge are covered in section 96. While compliance with the Regs is the responsibility of the vessel operator, boatbuilders need to be aware of the requirements, and equip boats they build so that operators can comply with the specific discharge rules for the area in which they are operating.

For practical purposes, small vessel operators and boatbuilders need to consider three different areas where the boat might operate in Canada. The areas are:

inland waters – where no treated or untreated sewage can be discharged overboard
designated sewage areas – where only sewage treated to a very low level of fecal coliform (14mg/100L) can be discharged (e.g. Bras-d’Or Lakes and several areas on the west coast)
all other waters – where various options to discharge treated or untreated sewage are allowed (see section 96 paragraphs (1)(e), (2), (3) and (4))

Required equipment for Canada
Small vessels are not required to be equipped with a toilet, but if one is installed than the regulations require that the vessel be fitted with:

a holding tank that is designed and installed as specified in section 88; SEE BELOW or
a Marine Sanitation Device (MSD) which is a sewage treatment plant that meets one of the options specified in section 90.

NOTE – Facilities for the temporary storage of sewage such as portable toilets like a porta-pottie are allowed on vessels that are less than 15 gross tonnage and are not certified to carry more than 15 persons. However, portable toilets are subject to the disposal requirements of the Reg (see section 96). Portable toilets are clearly intended for very small boats where it is not feasible to install a proper toilet with a holding tank or a treatment system, and, although they can be dumped overboard where disposal is allowed under section 96, they are intended to be taken ashore and dumped into a septic system.

NOTE – USCG approved Type I Marine Sanitation Devices (MSDs) are not legal in Canada. An example of a popular Type I MSD sewage treatment system is the Lectrasan, manufactured by Raritan, that uses electricity to create chlorine from salt water, which then disinfects the sewage. Type II MSDs however are legal in Canada, except in designated sewage areas as defined in the Regs. Type II MSDs use a biological process to breakdown the sewage, which is then disinfected with chemicals that are put into the MSD by the vessel operator.

US Regulations
Under the federal Clean Water Act it is illegal to discharge untreated (raw) sewage from a vessel within 3 miles of shore (the territorial waters) of the United States, in the Great Lakes and in navigable rivers. It is generally legal to discharge treated sewage except in a No Discharge Area. A No Discharge Area is a designated body of water in which the discharge of treated and untreated boat sewage is prohibited.

Recreational boats are not required to be equipped with a toilet but, if the boat has an installed toilet, it must also have a US Coast Guard approved Marine Sanitation Device. Note: in the US a holding tank is called a Type III MSD.

Required equipment for USA
There are three types of Marine Sanitation Devices or MSDs:

Type I MSDs discharge chemically treated effluent having a fecal coliform bacterial count not greater than 1000 per 100 millilitres of water and no visible floating solids.
Type II MSDs discharge chemically treated effluent having a fecal coliform bacterial count of less than 200 per 100 millilitres and suspended solids not greater than 150 milligrams per litre.
Type III MSDs are devices designed to store sewage until it can be pumped out at a pump-out facility or discharged outside the territorial seas boundary of three miles from shore. These are typically called “holding tanks”.
Vessels 65′ LOA and under may install a Type I, Type II or Type III MSD. Vessels over 65′ LOA must install a Type II or Type III.

Portable toilets or ‘porta-potties’ are not considered installed toilets and are not subject to the MSD regulations. They are, however, subject to the disposal regulations. A Type III MSD (i.e. holding tank) and ‘porta-potties’ are the only sanitary equipment that can be used in a No Discharge Area.

Designing and Installing Marine Sanitation Systems (Canada and the US)
Before the enactment of the Canada Shipping Act in 2001 and new pollution regulations in 2002, there was no regulation against discharging sewage in Canadian coastal waters. The new regulations brought Canadian law more in line with the US although there are still some significant differences. The most obvious difference is that the Canadian rules require the boat to move at the fastest speed possible when sewage is being discharged overboard. For practical purposes this eliminates the option of using a Y-valve to enable direct discharge from a toilet. Also, Type I MSD sewage treatment systems (e.g. Lectrasan by Raritan) are not legal in Canada since they do not meet Canadian requirements for fecal coliform count.

Holding tanks

Section 88 For the purposes of subsection 86(1), a holding tank must

(a) be constructed so that it does not compromise the integrity of the hull;

(b) be constructed of structurally sound material that prevents the tank contents from leaking;

(c) be constructed so that the potable water system and other systems cannot become contaminated;

(d) be resistant to corrosion by sewage;

(e) have an adequate volume for the amount of sewage that could be reasonably expected to be produced on a voyage in waters where the discharge of sewage is not authorized by section 96;

(f) be provided with a discharge connection and piping system for the removal of the tank contents at a reception facility;

(g) be designed so that the level of sewage in the tank can be determined without the tank being opened and without contacting or removing any of the tank contents, or be equipped with a device that allows the determination to be made;

(h) in the case of a vessel, other than a pleasure craft, that operates solely on the Great Lakes and their connecting waters, be equipped with an alarm that indicates when the tank is 75% full by volume; and

(i) be equipped with a ventilation device that

(i) has its outlet located on the exterior of the vessel and in a safe location away from ignition sources and areas usually occupied by people,

(ii) prevents the build-up within the tank of pressure that could cause damage to the tank,

(iii) is designed to minimize clogging by the contents of the tank or by climatic conditions such as snow or ice,

(iv) is constructed of material that cannot be corroded by sewage, and

(v) has a flame screen of non-corrosive material fitted to the vent outlet.

The tonnage of vessels may be determined in accordance with the Vessel Registration and Tonnage Regulations and TP 13430, either by using the Assigned Formal Tonnage, the Simplified Method or by a duly appointed Tonnage Measurer.

For vessels of not more than 12 metres in length, you can choose to use the “Assigned Formal Tonnage” (non-calculated tonnage). Assigned Formal Tonnage simply means linking a tonnage number to the length of the vessel. Should you require an accurate tonnage calculation, use Form 4A or 4B.
Not more than 8.5m = gross tonnage of 4.99
More than 8.5m but not more than 10.5m = gross tonnage of 9.99
More than 10.5m but not more than 12m = gross tonnage of 14.99

If the vessel is to be measured using the Simplified Method, this method applies for the following vessels:
Monohull vessels up to and including 15 metres tonnage measurement length (TML) - use Form 4A Simplified Method of Tonnage Measurement [PDF version].
“Monohull vessel” means a vessel having not more than a single tier of deckhouses and/or superstructures (including breaks that are also being regarded as one tier of superstructures) whose total combined length does not exceed 70% of TML to be measured.
Simple multihull vessels up to and including 15 metres tonnage measurement length (TML) - use Form 4B Tonnage Measurement of a Simple Multihull Vessel [PDF version].
“Simple multihull vessel” means a flat platform installed on two or more pontoons.

you missed this part by not going to actual Canadian government sites.

For example, Transport Canada has ruled that porta-potties and composting toilets can qualify as "temporary storage devices" as long as the vessel is less than 15 gross tons and carries fewer than 15 people.

https://www.canadianyachting.ca/diy/maintenance/1388-guide-to-sewage-discharge-regs
Old 05-02-2020, 19:21   #208
cruiser

Just glancing at the "locations" of where the varying comments are coming from.

Composting toilets definitely seems to be a "West Coast" USA thing. Some exceptions here but far and wide the pro compost crowd posts are locations out West.

They are very common in ..Vancouver BC....Colorado.. Montana.. Oregon.. Washington.. basically anywhere nature and human impact is important to the residents.
Old 05-02-2020, 21:18   #209
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Highly possible and a good chance? You obviously have zero experience with composting heads.
Nope, I have plenty.

It is highly possible that the urine container could be spilled or the solids be spilled, when handling these containers while the vessel is rocked by waves or wakes.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 21:47   #210
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nope, I have plenty.

It is highly possible that the urine container could be spilled or the solids be spilled, when handling these containers while the vessel is rocked by waves or wakes.
perhaps for you spillage would be a likelihood however I have never had an issue with the urine container . Lift the lid and install the cap remove the container and place another container in place . Next when offshore I carry the container out to the cockpit where I empty it over the side. ( yes well offshore . )
I have done it in 2 to 4 meter seas. On a 12 second period. As well as 1.5 meters 8 second period and spilled not a drop.
I also have a urine container setup as a urinal in my head. .
Btw just because the container holds X amount doesn't mean you have to wait till it is full.
And having multiple containers means I do not need to empty it if conditions are treacherous to perform this evolution.

Tags
classic, head, posting