Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 11:19   #241
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Failure leads to nature's aquatic filters becoming collectors of hazardous bacteria and of dangerous contaminates, such as heavy metals.[a.k.a. shellfish] and then the closure of harvesting such. The small commercial boats have been given five years from the effective date to have their vessels equipped with holding tanks, jeez not exactly a large challenge to install.

:.
actually its not the tankage issue its the fact that most " recreational" pump outs can't handle the size of the commercial vessels.
The fishing vessels will mostly never comply and there is nothing anyone can do about it . The majority of inland waterway commercial fishing vessels are owned by one tribe or another therefore come under treaty via the BIA. I'm sure being from Montana you know what a quagmire that can be.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:33   #242
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually its not the tankage issue its the fact that most " recreational" pump outs can't handle the size of the commercial vessels.
Actually, if you read the EPA investigation findings, there are ample pump out facilities for all vessels that use these waters, recreational and commercial.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:43   #243
cruiser

Quote:
question who is the poster with the most responses in this thread ?
I don't know, don't care, and don't see how that is relevant at all.

I don't believe the number of posts has anything to do with right or wrong; it simply has to do with how many posts a poster is willing to make.

In my personal case, I am just stating my opinions and reacting to direct questions, or posts I believe are invalid or biased to the point of being potentially harmful to the common good.
Old 06-02-2020, 13:52   #244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Interesting I just looked and there is a poster on here that in the last 30 posts all but 3 of theirs is on this thread.
Old 06-02-2020, 14:22   #245

Boat: Rafiki 37

So, as I keep saying, for those actually interested in learning about these heads, there are plenty of folks here who use them and know what they're talking about. We're happy to help.
Old 06-02-2020, 14:24   #246
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Again, that being the case, it is my opinion, that you were doing it wrong.

In 25 years of sailing, I have never needed to "bleed off" human waste, even when only having a 5 gallon holding tank, for up to 3 people, even when sailing very remote areas, including the North Channel of Lake Huron.

All I can say is, you seem to have planned poorly.

In other words, stop blaming the system; it appears your difficulties were totally and completely self-inflicted. You simply over-estimated capacity, under-estimated generation, or you just didn't pay attention at all.
A 5 gallon holding tank for 3 people in remote areas? Now that is hilarious! The average person puts out about a half a gallon of urine a day. That being said your holding tank would last about 2 days before needing a pump out. If you mean tied up to the pump out station is remote then maybe you are stating facts.....otherwise what a load of BS.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 15:21   #247

Quote:
that's great to hear about your hometown facilities . Hope they get the drinking water upstream. Now if Victoria actually does what they say they will great.
Last Portland is not on the Columbia river it is on the Willamette river so they get the pleasure of dealing with their own states Crap.

Here we get most of our drinking water out of deep wells. And not rivers . .
The City gets its water from very shallow wells even though it is located on the shores of Flathead Lake, the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi in the USA and has pristine alpine water. It is much cheaper to pump shallow water that requires NO treatment for potable consumption than it is to provide modest microbial treatment to surface supplied water.

For our property in the mountains we just divert a portion of the water from the creek into 1,600 feet of 25 inch pipe for powering a hydroelectric generator for the two homes, barn, assay office, gold ore mill, saw mill and then drink and bath using the water untreated, merely filtered for sediment and things like pine needles. There is no one above our remote end of the road family summer retreat except 8 miles of creek basin through the national forest rising almost 5,000 feet to the summit at about 9,800 feet. Just bears, lions, elk mountain goats and moose poop and pee and the odd fish or two upstream.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 15:36   #248

Quote:
The fishing vessels will mostly never comply and there is nothing anyone can do about it . The majority of inland waterway commercial fishing vessels are owned by one tribe or another therefore come under treaty via the BIA. I'm sure being from Montana you know what a quagmire that can be.
Yes, there is many complexities of multi jurisdictional matters living here on the Flathead Reservation of the Confederated Salish and the Kootenai tribes.

Fortunately the Flathead Nation have their acts together as to tribal governance and for the most part have solid working relationships with the towns and county governments within their opened for non-tribal settlement on this vast reservation and with the State. It is a privilege to be able to live amongst them. They take stewardship of their lands and the lake and river very carefully. All the kids at the public elementary schools get to attend the annual River Honoring Ceremony and learn a lot about the biology and the old ways of tribal dependency on the river.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 15:38   #249

Boat: Formosa 41

To lighten the mood I bring you, The Worst Toilet in Scotland from the movie Trainspotting:

I must admit this is how I picture detractors dealing with a desiccating head. LOL

Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 21:37   #250
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
A 5 gallon holding tank for 3 people in remote areas? Now that is hilarious! The average person puts out about a half a gallon of urine a day. That being said your holding tank would last about 2 days before needing a pump out. If you mean tied up to the pump out station is remote then maybe you are stating facts.....otherwise what a load of BS.
Nope.

No BS.

It's called cruise planning.

Boaters with good seamanship skills do it all the time.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:19   #251

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Nope.
No BS.

Yep, and the United States Power Squadrons, aka America's Boating Club offers this course

https://www.usps.org/images/eddept/images/ccp_cover.jpg
Old 07-02-2020, 07:30   #252

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Nope.

No BS.

Admitting you only have a five gallon holding tank is telling; especially adding the claim that three peeps are on the boat.

I have to wonder how you define "cruise planning". At best you might be able to go three or four days before needing a pump out; at worst a single day and night passage and the tank might be full. Even a simple day sail with extra guests could fill your holding tank.

I have gone over three months with no access to pump outs. True in the DT I was able to use the shore facilities but never had an issue with my composting head.

For a dock queen or someone who day sails and once in a while does weekend overnights a five gallon holding tank might be a realistic option; but it would be cutting it close for a weekend.

Bottom line is going out for a weekend is not really how most folks define cruising and there is no way a five gallon holding tank would last for even a week. Your posts seem even sillier now that your cruising experience seems non existent.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50   #253

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

The signal to noise ratio has gone beyond my capacity.

How do I get off?

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:02   #254

Boat: Rafiki 37

The last holding tank system I had used a 25 gallon tank. With that, and by trying really hard, my spouse and I (two adults) could go about two to three weeks between pumpouts. But this took real effort and attention. It was not fun...

Our holding tank became the most significant limiting factor for our actual remote and extended journeys. I'm talking about going for months between touching a dock, not just a few days out on Lake Ontario. And despite information to the contrary, there are huge areas of the Great Lakes where pump out facilities are few and far between.

This was one of the major reasons we switched to a composter. With the switch we're now never limited by the size of our holding tank, nor the proximity of a pump out station (which simply don't exist where we are now).
Old 07-02-2020, 08:05   #255

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

There is another option that rarely gets mentioned, a Laveo Dry Flush. It works very well for me and I am totally satisfied with it.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, head, posting