Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 22:37   #301

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Start making the boys clean it up if it overflows...they will figure out to check first real quick.

But as Mike said, they are really best suited to a couple if more than day sailing. 4-5 people for a week will be a problem.
I have to wonder about peeps who have issues with composting heads yet never seem to have any issues with conventional heads. Both require training to use and maintain. My experience has been a composting head is much simpler and has much less to go wrong than a conventional head.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 23:50   #302

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

Best comment ever in relation to this thread (and probably a few others too).
Yes, but look at the entertainment value of someone that has no practical experience endeavouring to demonstrate the opposite.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 00:08   #303

You need to rethink your responses on this site. The gentleman you just sunk may not have been on site a few days ago. Regardless, be a gentleman, and respectful sailor. I am disappointed with you. Stop. With sailor kindness....try harder. Not ok
AliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 00:15   #304

No, you are not right. The not so gentlemanly skipper just denounced you on a website which is designed to help all skippers and sailors with whatever questions we all have. That guy was rude and unhelpful. I wish I had an answer to your head question but I am sure others here can and will help. There is no need for any nastiness on this site. Wishing you well, and hoping you will get good information from other like minded sailors.
AliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 00:24   #305
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
No, you are not right. The not so gentlemanly skipper just denounced you on a website which is designed to help all skippers and sailors with whatever questions we all have. That guy was rude and unhelpful. I wish I had an answer to your head question but I am sure others here can and will help. There is no need for any nastiness on this site. Wishing you well, and hoping you will get good information from other like minded sailors.
Trust un the fact that those of us who have experiende with both are at least trying to empart a bit if our experience and hopefully wisdom . Any and all real questions are welcome
Old 08-02-2020, 00:53   #306

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
. . . yet never seem to have any issues with conventional heads. . . ..

Whoever said that? I think almost every sailor knows the challenges of dealing with toilets on board. One of the most maintenance intensive and failure prone systems on board. Easiest and most common way to spoil a cruise is with toilet problems.

So look guys, I get that. This is an obviously huge advantage of composting heads, among serveral others.

But I'm just not going to keep human waste on board my boat. That's just my personal and even irrational (from your point of view) choice, so I'm going to continue doing that maintenance and those repairs. It's better once you've experienced every possible failure and know what to do. And have a really good set of spares on board.

But I'm happy for you, that you've found a away around all this. Good for you. I would never try to talk you out of your own choice.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:08   #307

One additional item - Blake's Lavac head is a unique and simple option. Uses an externally mounted manual diaphragm pump (more or less a bilge pump) for flush. With addition of a second y-valve, this same pump can be used to empty the holding tank overboard too. Many, many reports of this head being trouble free for decades. Issue of holding tank and plumbing are unchanged. I considered one 25 years ago but decided on the Groco K as it had a household sized oval seat. The Lavac and WC Skipper (since discontinued) had small round seats and I'm not a tiny guy.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/mobile/lavac.htm
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:56   #308

Hi pzmaria. A year ago I was mostly new to houseboat living, certainly new to composting heads. I dove into it (heh, heh, not literally, you understand) and offer you insights into my process. Take a look at the blog Delta Hand (https://deltahand.blogspot.com/ ) and you'll find several pertinent posts. I hope they're helpful.
susgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:27   #309

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

One thing worth mentioning with marin head seats and with separating seats especially. They aren't designed for "well equipped" chaps. Thou same stands for many landlubber seats too.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:47   #310

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB View Post
You need to rethink your responses on this site. The gentleman you just sunk may not have been on site a few days ago. Regardless, be a gentleman, and respectful sailor. I am disappointed with you. Stop. With sailor kindness....try harder. Not ok
I don't know who you're referring to, but since you so kindly sent me a private message saying the same, I assume I'm on your naughty list.

Given that my responses to qwerme (whom I assume you believe is the aggrieved poster) have consisted of words of sympathy, offers of assistance, and attempts to diagnose and suggest improvements, I am honestly confused, and a little annoyed at your tone.

Please quote my words which you find so disrespectful.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:48   #311
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
One thing worth mentioning with marin head seats and with separating seats especially. They aren't designed for "well equipped" chaps. Thou same stands for many landlubber seats too.
????? Are you referring to larger backsides ?????
Old 08-02-2020, 06:49   #312
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't know who you're referring to, but since you so kindly sent me a private message saying the same, I assume I'm on your naughty list.

Given that my responses to qwerme (whom I assume you believe is the aggrieved poster) have consisted of words of sympathy, offers of assistance, and attempts to diagnose and suggest improvements, I am honestly confused, and a little annoyed at your tone.

Please quote my words which you find so disrespectful.
i feel left out now I assumed those posts were directed at me .
Old 08-02-2020, 07:03   #313
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Composting toilets seem gross to me, but it's not something I need to think about, so I don't think about it, and I don't know anything useful about composting toilets, so my opinion will be of zero interest to anyone.
Quote:

Hence I keep my mouth shut.

Too funny. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:06   #314
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post

Too funny. ;-)
dockhead gives you good advice .

Here it is in its entirety for proper context
And not cherry picked .

[Quoted]I don't know anything useful about composting toilets, so my opinion will be of zero interest to anyone. Hence I keep my mouth shut; a practice which should be more widespread when people lack experience or any kind of specific knowledge.[end quote ]
Old 08-02-2020, 07:16   #315

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...But I'm just not going to keep human waste on board my boat. That's just my personal and even irrational (from your point of view) choice, so I'm going to continue doing that maintenance and those repairs. It's better once you've experienced every possible failure and know what to do. And have a really good set of spares on board.

But I'm happy for you, that you've found a away around all this. Good for you. I would never try to talk you out of your own choice.
Nicely put DH. I don't think I've ever tried to talk anyone out of, or into, a particular head. I have spent a lot of time answering questions about these composters. I've offered assistance, and highlighted what I see as the benefits of these types of heads. I've also shared what I think are the negatives.

Based on my own experience, I do believe composters are the best option for mid-sized, small-crewed long distance/duration cruising boats. But I know other systems work just fine, and different people have different assessments of the pros vs the cons. That's just fine.

Tags
classic, head, posting