Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30   #316
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Having a 5 gallon holding tank means you have to cruise within a stones throw of a pump out station. Many wouldn’t consider that cruising.
The size of your holding tank has absolutely nothing to do with seamanship.
Many years ago, cruising our smaller boats in NDZs in Canada and the US, we would often cruise about 35 nm per day, anchoring overnight, stopping into a marina every 3 to 5 days, or about 100 to 150 nm, and keep going for weeks.

Sometimes we would stay at the marina overnight and enjoy a meal out, other times we would just do a stop and go to continue on to the next anchorage we wanted to stay at.

Now that we have the bigger boats, we still do about the same.

Little difference except with the bigger holding tank, we only get a pumpout every second stop.

No hardship.

No discharge.

No waste handling.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:40   #317
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't know who you're referring to, but since you so kindly sent me a private message saying the same, I assume I'm on your naughty list.

Given that my responses to qwerme (whom I assume you believe is the aggrieved poster) have consisted of words of sympathy, offers of assistance, and attempts to diagnose and suggest improvements, I am honestly confused, and a little annoyed at your tone.

Please quote my words which you find so disrespectful.

You are and have always been the exact opposite of disrespectful.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:08   #318
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Many years ago, cruising our smaller boats in NDZs in Canada and the US, we would often cruise about 35 nm per day, anchoring overnight, stopping into a marina every 3 to 5 days, or about 100 to 150 nm, and keep going for weeks.

Sometimes we would stay at the marina overnight and enjoy a meal out, other times we would just do a stop and go to continue on to the next anchorage we wanted to stay at.

Now that we have the bigger boats, we still do about the same.

Little difference except with the bigger holding tank, we only get a pumpout every second stop.

No hardship.

No discharge.

No waste handling.

And this works well for you but not us. We may hit a marina twice a year so we need the freedom the composter gives us. Neither way of cruising is right or wrong, just different.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09   #319
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Nicely put DH. I don't think I've ever tried to talk anyone out of, or into, a particular head. I have spent a lot of time answering questions about these composters. I've offered assistance, and highlighted what I see as the benefits of these types of heads. I've also shared what I think are the negatives.

Based on my own experience, I do believe composters are the best option for mid-sized, small-crewed long distance/duration cruising boats. But I know other systems work just fine, and different people have different assessments of the pros vs the cons. That's just fine.
And the reality is, I consult boaters professionally on all kinds of marine sanitation solutions. I generally leave the purchase and installation up to them. They can do what ever they want. I have no financial interest in the sale or installation of the equipment, just the consulting fee.

After weighing the “real” pros and cons of each solution presented, few go with an “Effluent Separating Head”.

In my personal case, after many years of specialized training and personal experience with all types of sanitation equipment, when I weigh all the real pros and cons, a traditional marine head with holding tank, plumbed for marina pump out station evacuation where available (and especially where any discharge of feces or urine is illegal and potentially harmful) , and also plumbed for overboard discharge when outside inland and territorial waters (where legal and not harmful).

The result?

Zero waste handling.

Zero discharge.

Others may choose differently.

I could really care less.

But I do object to those who attempt to lead others astray, to promote “Effluent Separating Toilets” as “Composting” (for typical marine applications they are not), discharging urine illegally into “No Discharge Zones” (shame on you, I hope you are caught and fined), and suggesting they are easier to use for long distance cruising beyond territorial waters (they simply are not).
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:23   #320
smj

[QUOTE=ramblinrod;3070509]Zero waste handling.

[QUOTE]

Every time I’ve changed head hoses I’ve touched waste.
Repairing a Lectrsan I had a 5 gallon bucket full of waste.
Many times pumping out you get a few residual drops of waste that may spill on you.
And my favorite? Having problems with my holding tank vent I called the pump out boat to clear the tank. When he removed the cap a geyser of waste came flying out landing on both of us and both boats. He had a great sense of humor as he wanted to know if we were from Nebraska......never seen so much corn in his life!
So my experience is we’ve come into way less contact with waste with our composter.
I’m sure others may have different experiences.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:33   #321

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
????? Are you referring to larger backsides ?????
Dunno much about that but it might be an issue as well, thou it could be that also for a lassie too in which case I don't have no problem, just the opposite
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:40   #322
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Dunno much about that but it might be an issue as well, thou it could be that also for a lassie too in which case I don't have no problem, just the opposite
I was just checking and as a male of Scottish decent and user of a composting head I have never had an issue with the size of my lads .
That's why I have a deeper funnel than most for separating my liquids from my solids
That and a urinal .
Old 08-02-2020, 08:46   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
And the reality is, I consult boaters professionally on all kinds of marine sanitation solutions. I generally leave the purchase and installation up to them. They can do what ever they want. I have no financial interest in the sale or installation of the equipment, just the consulting fee.

After weighing the “real” pros and cons of each solution presented, few go with an “Effluent Separating Head”.

In my personal case, after many years of specialized training and personal experience with all types of sanitation equipment, when I weigh all the real pros and cons, a traditional marine head with holding tank, plumbed for marina pump out station evacuation where available (and especially where any discharge of feces or urine is illegal and potentially harmful) , and also plumbed for overboard discharge when outside inland and territorial waters (where legal and not harmful).

The result?

Zero waste handling.

Zero discharge.

Others may choose differently.

I could really care less.

But I do object to those who attempt to lead others astray, to promote “Effluent Separating Toilets” as “Composting” (for typical marine applications they are not), discharging urine illegally into “No Discharge Zones” (shame on you, I hope you are caught and fined), and suggesting they are easier to use for long distance cruising beyond territorial waters (they simply are not).
so a couple weeks off the dock in a secluded anchorage is off the table for you then .

Personally I would rather have my freezer control my dockage and not the size of a cesspool tank.
Btw I have a 5 gallon portable tank for storing excess urine when not able to properly dispose of it. As a solo sailor that's about 3 weeks worth . Direct discharge not withstanding.

Another option I have heard of people doing is to divert the urine from the portable tank to the big former sewage tank increasing their off grid time to well over a month even for a couple.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:49   #324

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

The thread that wouldn’t die ! Does anyone know the record for the longest running thread ? Lol.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:04   #325

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
The thread that wouldn’t die ! Does anyone know the record for the longest running thread ? Lol.

Oh, we have a long way to go .

Wait, I mean .
Old 08-02-2020, 09:06   #326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
it was a couple years ago a climate change thread went well over 10k posts so yes we have a ways to go before taking that dishonor
Old 08-02-2020, 09:31   #327

Quote:
I was just checking and as a male of Scottish decent and user of a composting head I have never had an issue with the size of my lads .
That's why I have a deeper funnel than most for separating my liquids from my solids
That and a urinal .
Source for that deep funnel?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49   #328
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Source for that deep funnel?
For the head kmart. For the urinal use a transmission funnel i git mine for 2 bucks at walmart.
For links see my diy composting head thread .
Old 08-02-2020, 10:00   #329

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
For the head kmart. For the urinal use a transmission funnel i git mine for 2 bucks at walmart.
I have suggested sourcing a Porta potty plastic urinal for a stand up urinal in past threads. Would work nice on a cat, only for the brave on a mono.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:12   #330

Quote:
Sorry, no Kmart in this side of the pond I know of..

Tags
classic, head, posting