Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 06:12   #361
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
May I inquire how you dump the solid tank? Do you move the entire toilet outside the boat to dump the solid contents or do you remove the top, then remove the bottom? Do you dump into the bag inside the boat or outside the boat?

How much is the interior of your boat exposed to the waste?
Response by my Latrine Queen..��
“With the Air Head it is attached to the floor and the seat is attached to the solids tank. I remove the liquids tank and screw on its lid. I then unscrew the vent hose freeing the back of the solids tank. The seat is removed and a plastic bag is placed over the open solids tank. I snug the bag around the tank and then I pick it up off the brackets that hold it down and rotate the bag covered tank, so the contents are directed into the trash bag. The first time I did this I did have some coir spillage but I am now very careful to have the bag tight to the tank.
I knock on the bottom side of the tank and then carefully pick it up and reposition it on the brackets and close the full bag. The full bag is placed in a second bag. I dump fresh coconut coir into the tank and wipe all areas with my 409. Those paper towels go into the outer bag. The tank is secured. The seat is secured and the vent hose and urine jug are replaced. My gloves then go into the outer bag. It is then sealed and removed.
All this is done in our head. The Cabo Rico 34 does not have a large head. Also the Air Head comes with a lid if I wanted to move the tank out to clean and you have squeamish neighbors. “

s/v Tango
Brunswick, Ga.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:04   #362

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Thanks for the information about the dumping procedure. The RV videos have the entire toilet removed from the vehicle before dumping and I was under the impression that may be the preferred mode. It is nice to know it can be done inside the boat.

Where are you placing the top portion of the AirHead during this procedure? Is there some tank debris adhering to the top that an owner should pay attention to during the dump process, and, in particular, where to put the top during this operation?
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:06   #363

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
May I inquire how you dump the solid tank? Do you move the entire toilet outside the boat to dump the solid contents or do you remove the top, then remove the bottom? Do you dump into the bag inside the boat or outside the boat?

How much is the interior of your boat exposed to the waste?
Similar process here with my Nature's Head. I just remove the top part from its sliding hinge. Unscrew the two dog legs that lock the bottom in place. Wrap a plastic garbage bag around the base. Then tip the whole thing over.

Contents goes into the bag. Done.

There is always some residual dirt left. I usually leave it, but if I'm feeling anal () I scoop it out with a garden trowel I keep dedicated for this purpose.

Most of the time I dump mine out at sea, or on land in a remote anchorage. If it's going on land, or being stored for some later dumping time, I'll usually double-bag the contents. But if it's going right over the side I usually just carry the bag up top.

BTW, it's very easy to slide the contents over the side this way. Take hold of a corner of the bag, then let is slip out. Save the bag for the next dump if you like.

Some uninformed folks have described out difficult it must be to carry and then dump the whole base over the side. That would be difficult -- which is why I would never do such a silly thing.
Old 18-02-2020, 07:15   #364

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I am trying to get a concept of how much exposure to the waste the interior of a boat cabin may get. I use a simpler "composting toilet" and I am looking at ways a cabin may be exposed to the waste and how to reduce the exposure.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:19   #365

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
SNIP

There is always some residual dirt left. I usually leave it, but if I'm feeling anal () I scoop it out with a garden trowel I keep dedicated for this purpose.

I have read that the composting process is based on microbes transforming waste to more inert substances. If you clean out all the "residual dirt" you are also cleaning out any microbes they contain. Maybe just because I am lazy but I simply use a very big garbage bag, probably twice the diameter of the head and have never spilled anything. But once I do the initial dump into the bag I don't pay much attention to what is left in the head, just slip the slots over the bolts and screw on the nuts to secure it. Not really that big of a deal.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:23   #366

Quote:
Thanks for the information about the dumping procedure. The RV videos have the entire toilet removed from the vehicle before dumping and I was under the impression that may be the preferred mode. It is nice to know it can be done inside the boat.
I'm sure the Latrine Queen will answer as well, but I honestly don't know why anyone would do that. Just seems harder to me.

Quote:
Where are you placing the top portion of the AirHead during this procedure? Is there some tank debris adhering to the top that an owner should pay attention to during the dump process, and, in particular, where to put the top during this operation?
I lay mine down on my head counter. I always spread a plastic garbage bag down first, because yes, there can be some "debris" stuck to the top. It's never very much (a table spoon perhaps). I usually wipe the top down with a paper towel or some tp, which gets disposed with the rest.

Quote:
I am trying to get a concept of how much exposure to the waste the interior of a boat cabin may get. I use a simpler "composting toilet" and I am looking at ways a cabin may be exposed to the waste and how to reduce the exposure.
My cabin isn't exposed to waste, aside from the fact that I have to walk through it with my sealed urine tank, and my sealed bag of end-product goodies. In both cases the containers have been emptied in my head, and then sealed. So the only space that possibly gets exposed is my head room, but even that is minimal.
Old 18-02-2020, 07:25   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I have read that the composting process is based on microbes transforming waste to more inert substances. If you clean out all the "residual dirt" you are also cleaning out any microbes they contain. Maybe just because I am lazy but I simply use a very big garbage bag, probably twice the diameter of the head and have never spilled anything. But once I do the initial dump into the bag I don't pay much attention to what is left in the head, just slip the slots over the bolts and screw on the nuts to secure it. Not really that big of a deal.
Agreed. I never fully clean my head. There is always residual dirt left over. But I do find that with my Nature's Head I sometimes get a cup or two of stuff left over in the corners. That's what I might scoop out -- or I might not. Depends on my mood I suppose.
Old 18-02-2020, 07:45   #368
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Some uninformed folks have described out difficult it must be to carry and then dump the whole base over the side. That would be difficult -- which is why I would never do such a silly thing.
Not to mention potentially very expensive .
I have left more than my fair share of coffee grounds baskets on the ocean floor.

As to emptying my home built head i swap lids on the bucket.
Then i lift it out of the base. No more chance of soillage than a sealed can of paint.
Same with the urine tanks . Cap before removing.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:06   #369

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Agreed. I never fully clean my head. There is always residual dirt left over. But I do find that with my Nature's Head I sometimes get a cup or two of stuff left over in the corners. That's what I might scoop out -- or I might not. Depends on my mood I suppose.
If there are clumps in the corner (which does not always happen to me, in part I think due to my upgraded fan system and me turning the crank every time I am in the head even if I am only brushing my teeth or washing my hands) I will simply break them up and leave them in the head.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 09:55   #370
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

The “Latrine Queen “here. I can place the Air Head seat assembly behind the tank and it sits on a slant against the hull. If there is any debris on its edges I wipe with a 409 damp paper towel and toss it in the dump bag. I guess if you don’t have room, it can be placed on the floor outside head. I really just need enough room to invert the tank and tight bag. Once the bag and tank are inverted and on the floor, I bang on the tank and then slowly lift it from the bag. Any residual debris is left to feed microbes to the new coir.
It is darn easy peezy. I am very happy with my Air Head choice. I have heard of overflowing in the C heads. Our urine tank must be at least 1.5 gallons. It has a secure screw on lid and a sight glass window. Good luck. You should ask around to find someone with a composting head and visit.

s/v Tango
Brunswick,Ga.
Old 18-02-2020, 10:18   #371
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
The “Latrine Queen “here. I can place the Air Head seat assembly behind the tank and it sits on a slant against the hull. If there is any debris on its edges I wipe with a 409 damp paper towel and toss it in the dump bag. I guess if you don’t have room, it can be placed on the floor outside head. I really just need enough room to invert the tank and tight bag. Once the bag and tank are inverted and on the floor, I bang on the tank and then slowly lift it from the bag. Any residual debris is left to feed microbes to the new coir.

It is darn easy peezy. I am very happy with my Air Head choice. I have heard of overflowing in the C heads. Our urine tank must be at least 1.5 gallons. It has a secure screw on lid and a sight glass window. Good luck. You should ask around to find someone with a composting head and visit.

s/v Tango

Brunswick,Ga.

We have a C-head and the only way you would overflow would be just like the Natureshead or the Airhead, you let the urine go above the sight glass. Operator error!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 10:36   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have a C-head and the only way you would overflow would be just like the Natureshead or the Airhead, you let the urine go above the sight glass. Operator error!
Indeed. This has happened to us once over the last eight years. With NH the urine tank is contained in its own area, so it's not really a big deal. The overflow just ends up in its own area.

But once was enough to reinforce the habit of checking before letting loose . At lease with NH, the top 1/3rd of the bottle is visible, so you can see when the level gets to critical.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:34   #373
Marine Service Provider

Here ya go..😉 https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sun-mar-centrex-2000-electric-composting-system-for-sealand-low-flush-toilets?cm_sp=jivox_DIS
Old 07-03-2020, 07:03   #374

Yes, the Sun-Mar's are great toilets. They are true composters. If I had a land house I'd look seriously at installing one of these types.

They used to sell a mobile version marketed to RVs and boats. I looked at them but decided against it because it was only rated for 1-2 people, full time. It also wanted more power than Nature's/Air head.

Just looked at their website. I don't see the mobile version anymore, although they do have their Excel NE, which might work. I also see they now offer a "urine diverter" toilet. Their website is short on details about it works, but I assume is the same as the other "composters" we've discussed here.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:19   #375

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I have read that the composting process is based on microbes transforming waste to more inert substances.
That’s true... of composting. Which is why it’s pretty disingenuous to refer to these heads as composting.
These heads simply dry it out a bit, the conditions and the timing are insufficient for actual composting unless you only poop once every couple of months.

Full disclosure- My personal opinion after personal experience is that composting heads are super gross.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, head, posting