Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 12:44   #376
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
That’s true... of composting. Which is why it’s pretty disingenuous to refer to these heads as composting.
These heads simply dry it out a bit, the conditions and the timing are insufficient for actual composting unless you only poop once every couple of months.

Full disclosure- My personal opinion after personal experience is that composting heads are super gross.
noted personally I don't like the idea of sleeping near a big plastic bag of liquid fecal matter near me
Old 07-03-2020, 12:51   #377

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
That’s true... of composting. Which is why it’s pretty disingenuous to refer to these heads as composting.
These heads simply dry it out a bit, the conditions and the timing are insufficient for actual composting unless you only poop once every couple of months.

Full disclosure- My personal opinion after personal experience is that composting heads are super gross.
Yup, as has been mentioned many, many times, these heads are better described as desiccators. They do begin the composting process, and if you leave it long enough it will compost. But constant use simply doesn't provide enough time.

Which head did you own? How long did you use it? And what was "super gross" about it? If used properly there shouldn't be anything "gross" about these heads. The only odour (if any) should be a peaty/musty smell. And the end product looks, smells and feels like rich soil -- nothing gross about that in my books.

I suppose dumping the urine bucket is a bit gross though ... but not much worse than peeing over the side, which I'm sure no one ever does .
Old 07-03-2020, 13:52   #378
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I suppose dumping the urine bucket is a bit gross though ... but not much worse than peeing over the side, which I'm sure no one ever does .
and a teaspoon of sugar when empty stops that stink
Old 09-03-2020, 05:46   #379

Boat: Carver Santego

Quote:

Well from my personal experience you must have done something ridiculously wrong with your composting toilet.
In fact our toilet Composts the waste very effectively. When we removed the toilet for the winter storage of the boat. Its contents could not be distinguished from a pile of compost.
It looked like dirt, smelt like dirt all due to the fact it basically was Dirt.
We used a mix of peat moss and coco core. Took a day or two to start breaking things down but worked flawlessly ever since.

We removed the original holding tank because, like every tank system I have ever encountered, it always smelled.
Not a single wiff of smell from our Composting Air Head toilet.
Craig_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:04   #380

On my small boat w/ portapotty it was no big question to change to composting toilet. much better than emptying porta potty . I cleaned then put porta potty in recycle bin. In old box it was in I put a how to build a composting toilet book in. I was done with book. I then gave box and book to thrift store. I made my composting toilet myself for around $15. Used parts except for new Walmart seat, and V A diverter.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:22   #381

Boat: Hunter 36

As someone who is relatively new to sailing, and has no experience with composting toilets, they would be a VERY hard sell to me and my family.

You can think of cruising two ways:
  1. Like going camping, sleeping in a tent, going to the bathroom in the woods, and taking pride in "roughing it". For smaller sailboats that's usually the only option.
  2. Or you can think of cruising like vacationing in an RV or hotel room, where you have to downsize, but you still have all the comforts of home.

If you go into sailing expecting the first version then I suppose it's more tolerable. But for me, I can't imagine regularly handling containers of other people's solid waste or liquid waste. That goes beyond "roughing it", I would seriously rather dig a hole in the woods and use that. And I understand some very small sailboats only have the option of a chemical toilet, but those are daysailors where that toilet should be a last resort. I already have a difficult time trying to convince my family about the joys of sailing, a composting head would squick them out.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:25   #382

Thanks Rohan, so like a few others, you have no experience with these heads, but are willing to offer your clear and strong opinion nonetheless.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:27   #383

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Thanks Rohan, so like a few others, you have no experience with these heads, but are willing to offer your clear and strong opinion nonetheless.
Yes, I have no experience, that's my point. I'm explaining why it would be a very hard sell to us.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:29   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
That's my point. I'm outlining why it would be a very hard sell to us.
Maybe try and learn something about them before being so derogatory and dismissive?

(Unless you thinking equating compost head use to "camping" is a compliment, in which case, my bad).

FYI, these heads are found on RVs as well.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:32   #385
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Maybe try and learn something about them before being so derogatory and dismissive?

(Unless you thinking equating compost head use to "camping" is a compliment, in which case, my bad).

FYI, these heads are found on RVs as well.

And in homes as well!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:34   #386
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As someone who is relatively new to sailing, and has no experience with composting toilets, they would be a VERY hard sell to me and my family.

1. Like going camping, sleeping in a tent, going to the bathroom in the woods, and taking pride in "roughing it". For smaller sailboats that's usually the only option.
  2. Or you can think of cruising like vacationing in an RV or hotel room, where you have to downsize, but you still have all the comforts of home.

If you go into sailing expecting the first version then I suppose it's more tolerable. But for me, I can't imagine regularly handling containers of other people's solid waste or liquid waste. That goes beyond "roughing it", I would seriously rather dig a hole in the woods and use that. And I understand some very small sailboats only have the option of a chemical toilet, but those are daysailors where that toilet should be a last resort. I already have a difficult time trying to convince my family about the joys of sailing, a composting head would squick them out.
actually quite common on 40+ catamarans and those are definitely not small or camping .
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54   #387

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:

Rohan, my wife and I live and cruise full time on a Nauticat 43 with 3 staterooms, 2 heads (one has a shower stall), watermaker, 200 gallons of water tankage, 200 gallons of fuel capacity, central heating, 5.5 kw generator, solor, wind generator, all the latest B&G electronics, and until recently, had 3 air conditioners, and I could go on. This has been our home for 3 years and will be for many more years to come.

So, hopefully it's clear that we like to live and cruise in comfort.

And, we love our composting toilet.

Why?

- No smell (hallelujah!)
- No pump outs needed
-No holding tank needed or worrying about holding tank capacity
- Easy maintenance
- Trouble-free (not much to break!)
- No replacement parts needed to keep on board
- No chemicals needed
- Better for the environment (though there's a lot of confusion, mis-information, and other opinions on this)

And I could go on, and have on other posts, but my point is that our composting toilet is our FIRST choice, not a last resort, and we are definitely not "roughing it."

We do have a standard marine toilet in one head and still have our holding tank, but haven't used it in 3 years.

When non-boating guests come aboard it takes 30 seconds to explain the composting toilet, while the standard marine head requires an actual demonstration for them to understand how to use it.

Any boat that has a standard marine toilet can install a composting toilet. Even the smallest boat that has a porta-pottie (I had one in my Erikson 25) can most likely fit a composting toilet.

While your post appears to believe that having a composting toilet is the equivalent to "roughing it," I feel sorry for those who have to deal with smelly hoses, replacing joker valves, clogs, chemicals, pump outs, and all that goes with standard marine toilets.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:20   #388

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Yes, I have no experience, that's my point. I'm explaining why it would be a very hard sell to us.
Wait until you need to replace head hoses or have to unplug your conventional head when it is stoped up.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:36   #389
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Wait until you need to replace head hoses or have to unplug your conventional head when it is stoped up.
in a good rough seaway
Old 12-03-2020, 13:46   #390

Look Rohan, I'm sorry for dumping on you so hard. It just gets tedious having to listen to all the same uniformed, yet strongly held opinions, about these heads.

Instead of making silly straw-man arguments to justify your uninformed views, why not at least try and learn something about these heads? There are plenty of people here with actual experience who can tell you what it's really like.

You may still decide they're not for you. They are different, and they do require you to be a bit more intimate with your outflows. Most of us are brought up in a flush-and-forget world, so I get it; they're not for everyone. And they're not designed for more that two, perhaps three full time crew.

But you don't have to put down other other people's choices, just to justify your own.

Tags
classic, head, posting