Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 14:19   #391

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Wait until you need to replace head hoses or have to unplug your conventional head when it is stoped up.
Yeah I was gonna say, wait till your standard head clogs up, or discharges the tank into the bilge (both of which have happened to friends of mine)
Old 13-03-2020, 05:40   #392

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
noted personally I don't like the idea of sleeping near a big plastic bag of liquid fecal matter near me
I am unaware that any installed, approved toilet system on a boat would have a plastic bag of liquid fecal material. Holding tanks are solid plastic containers, composting toilets are solid plastic containers, porta potties are solid plastic containers.

The composting toilets may need to transport the fecal material through the boat in a plastic bag but the contents are not a liquid, nor should the transport contaminate the boat.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:07   #393

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
I am unaware that any installed, approved toilet system on a boat would have a plastic bag of liquid fecal material. Holding tanks are solid plastic containers, composting toilets are solid plastic containers, porta potties are solid plastic containers.

The composting toilets may need to transport the fecal material through the boat in a plastic bag but the contents are not a liquid, nor should the transport contaminate the boat.

A plastic bag like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	210542
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:20   #394
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

I am a composter and my compost is carried out of my boat in a sealed bucket no worries about contamination .

I suppose I should have stated plastic waste bladder .
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=11667
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11667.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	210543  
Old 13-03-2020, 06:44   #395

There is a world of difference between a plastic waste bladder (flexible waste tank by the manufacturer) and a plastic bag. These are durable, strong devices that have withstood the test of time as a workable replacement for the rigid holding tank.

I doubt that anyone would want to sleep with a plastic bag of liquid feces by their head, but most v-berth situations have the holding tank underneath. My boat has an 8" mattress and the rigid holding tank is 2" below the mattress.
Old 13-03-2020, 06:53   #396

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
While your post appears to believe that having a composting toilet is the equivalent to "roughing it," I feel sorry for those who have to deal with smelly hoses, replacing joker valves, clogs, chemicals, pump outs, and all that goes with standard marine toilets.
Thank you. Those are all good points, but I'll clarify. By "roughing it" I'm referring it to the need to physically remove the solid and liquid waste and dump the contents out somewhere. I would rather flush it and forget it. At least with pump outs, I don't have to see or carry any of this crap (literally crap!).
Rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:55   #397
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There is a world of difference between a plastic waste bladder (flexible waste tank by the manufacturer) and a plastic bag. These are durable, strong devices that have withstood the test of time as a workable replacement for the rigid holding tank.

I doubt that anyone would want to sleep with a plastic bag of liquid feces by their head, but most v-berth situations have the holding tank underneath. My boat has an 8" mattress and the rigid holding tank is 2" below the mattress.
have you ever seen a hard tank blow a seam ??
I have its not a pretty sight and will take months to get the smell completely out of the boat.

Holding tanks and flush and forget works for you and composting works for me .
In the end that's what matters . We are all out sailing and having fun
Old 13-03-2020, 07:00   #398
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Thank you. Those are all good points, but I'll clarify. By "roughing it" I'm referring it to the need to physically remove the solid and liquid waste and dump the contents out somewhere. I would rather flush it and forget it. At least with pump outs, I don't have to see or carry any of this crap (literally crap!).
question how big is your holding tank??
That's how much Crap you are hauling .
My composter uses ( on this boat) a 2.5 gallon collection container. And I carry a spare with a sealing lid for both . They get swapped when 3/4 full so at most I'm hauling about 4 gallons of composting matter.
But what works for you is what works for you .
Old 13-03-2020, 07:44   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I do not see your "skin in the game". If you do not like a system, don't use it. You have a good choice that works well.
Old 13-03-2020, 07:46   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
have you ever seen a hard tank blow a seam ??
I have its not a pretty sight and will take months to get the smell completely out of the boat.
I pray that day never comes. I have a composting toilet we commonly use, so the holding tank usually is empty.
Old 13-03-2020, 07:47   #401

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1584110369
ok I cannot rotate these. But I usually do every thing backwards anyway.
Before and after pics. of composting toilet. I built in 15 minutes. cost was less than $15, just to see what they did and worked. Built better one later for boat, This I put in greenhouse for emergencies. I hope youall can figure which is before. Other is after
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200311_122637 (1).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	210548   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200311_122303 (1) - Copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	210549  

Old 13-03-2020, 07:53   #402

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
As someone who is relatively new to sailing, and has no experience with composting toilets, they would be a VERY hard sell to me and my family.
Can’t believe this thread is still going.........

But to the inexperienced guy above, wait till you’ve been anchored out a few weeks and no one can use the head because it’s full. Then you are forced to alter your plans to find a place that will pump your sh!!- out.....
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:06   #403

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Can’t believe this thread is still going.........

But to the inexperienced guy above, wait till you’ve been anchored out a few weeks and no one can use the head because it’s full. Then you are forced to alter your plans to find a place that will pump your sh!!- out.....
Yup. There are pros and cons to all marine head set ups. One way or another, we all have to deal with our own shyte. Most of us who have moved to a composting head have done so because the pros outweigh the cons. One of the big benefits, for me, is never having to worry about a full holding tank.

I like to stay off the dock for months at a time. Heck, sometimes I like to anchor in the same spot for months at a time. So a composter means I'm never limited by my holding tank.
Old 13-03-2020, 10:41   #404

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like to stay off the dock for months at a time. Heck, sometimes I like to anchor in the same spot for months at a time. So a composter means I'm never limited by my holding tank.
Serious question. Why would this be any different with a holding tank? If you are off dock for months at a time, I assume you are dumping your waste overboard (hopefully many miles offshore). In the same situation, a person with holding tanks could simply dump them too.
Rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 10:52   #405

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:

Ok, then, yes you are correct.

So perhaps it should have more correctly stated that sleeping within inches above a sloshing sewage 'reservoir' is not a particularly pleasant thought for many of us.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, head, posting