Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2020, 03:53   #421

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
You didn’t mention which brand you have. I have a Natures Head. I also had some gnats and flies get in a couple of times. What worked for me was to cover the air vents with a fine mesh screening, much finer than regular screen. Haven’t had a problem since.
Sounds like a very workable answer. Don’t let the critters in, or let more moisture out.

I have yet to install any vents in 6 years of use. One day I will install the little muffin fan I bought, to blow drying air into the solids bin, since removing odors have never been an issue.
Old 14-03-2020, 06:59   #422

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yes, excess moisture can be a problem. We had one big infestation when, like fxykty, our venting fan had a problem. Still not sure why, but it died (we were off the boat). Came back to -- a problem . I ended up taking the whole thing out and scrubbing it down thoroughly. That got rid of the problem, and it hasn't surfaced since.

Minggat, you have a C-head? I've always assumed part of the success of that design is the fact that the catchment bins are about 1/2 the size of Air/Nature's, so your frequency of dumping is also about 2x. I assume this reduces the risk of any infestation getting started.
Old 14-03-2020, 08:36   #423

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And If I'm anchored and want to stay put, I usually just find an out-of-the-way spot on shore, and bury it there. (Remember, I cruise in pretty remote areas.) Occasionally I've stored the finished product in a bin (bagged) for offshore disposal. Since the material looks, feels and smells like potting soil. And as Newhaul points out, it's a very small volume, so no big deal to have around.
Burying it in the ground is one thing, but putting human waste in trash bins? Is that legal? It may look like potting soil but it isn't. It's "night soil"!
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 08:39   #424
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Burying it in the ground is one thing, but putting human waste in trash bins? Is that legal? It may look like potting soil but it isn't. It's "night soil"!
yes it is legal and much better and safer than baby diapers
Old 14-03-2020, 08:52   #425

[QUOTE=Mike OReilly;3094302]

Minggat, you have a C-head? I've always assumed part of the success of that design is the fact that the catchment bins are about 1/2 the size of Air/Nature's, so your frequency of dumping is also about 2x. I assume this reduces the risk of any infestation getting started.[/

Mike,

The longer is sets, the dryer it gets. The dryer it gets, the less hospitable to gnats.
Old 14-03-2020, 09:01   #426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Nope, that and another few similar treatments were sufficient for a day or two, then the flies returned. Hence going nuclear to bleach clean everything. Sigh
the purpose of the Diatomaceous earth is to absorb moisture in the head so if its not working good you definitely have a high moisture issue . As others have suggested chef your ventilation .
Old 14-03-2020, 09:13   #427

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

It is legal to dump the waste if it is securely bagged so it will not be loose waste. I double bag mine for extra security.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:13   #428

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Nope, that and another few similar treatments were sufficient for a day or two, then the flies returned. Hence going nuclear to bleach clean everything. Sigh
DON'T BLEACH! That will kill the beneficial microbes that do the work of composting.

We've never had flies or excess moisture due to 3 features of the design of our Air Head-
1. Fine mesh screen over the vent hole on the side of the tank

(a minor maintenance item to pop it off and clean it now and then)

2. Vent hose leading to exterior clamshell vent (the most involved part of installation, which is easy to do)

3. Lastly, the above vent hose has a tiny in-line 12v fan ensuring continuous air flow from the vent hole on the side of the tank to the outside.
(there's also a fine mesh screen prior to the in-line fan and the vent hose pulls apart to clean that screen and inspect the in-line fan)

I believe the air flow is necessary for efficient composting, and without screens, bugs WILL find your toilet!

The composting area shouldn't be wet at all, and if so, it might need more venting or more coir (or peat or sawdust, whatever you're using).
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:32   #429

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Rohan.... really? I'm disappointed by your response.

Is it legal to throw dog poop in the trash?

Would you prefer poop that has been dessicated, bad bacteria neutralized, broken up and encased in composting material that will continue to compost over time and enhance the soil, or raw poop?

Your response seems to assume we are putting raw, stinky, germ-infested poop in the trash, and that is NOT what's happening.

If done right, this is truly COMPOST. Understand that? It is FAR from raw poop.

However, when thrown away it is not compost that is garden ready; it would need a month or two in a compost pile for that, and I imagine (though I've never followed the garbage truck to confirm) that the composting process continues in the landfill.

For those who don't have a composting toilet I know it's hard to envision, but what makes a composting toilet actually compost is-

1. The filler material. We use coconut coir (@&100.00 per year for us), but peat moss or sawdust can be used as well, among other things. The equivalent in a garden compost pile (that we used to have when we had a house and yard) is mixing the organic materials- leaves, organic food waste, coffee grounds, etc. Just throwing leaves in a pile does not create compost.

2. Rotating the compost pile. Every time you use it (and some users do this more often) you turn the crank to rotate the contents to evenly distribute the filler and contents and allow air to reach more of the contents. In your yard you would use a compost bin and turn it regularly with a shovel.

3. Air circulation, beneficial microbes (and time) completes the formula to successfully making compost, in your composting toilet or in your yard.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 09:38   #430
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is your troll warning . Trolls are abundant these days .
Old 14-03-2020, 10:12   #431

Quote:
What newhaul and others said; yes, it is legal, at least anywhere it's legal to toss soiled diapers or used feminine hygene products. And lets not even get into the dog poop thing... What comes out of a composter, even one used full time, is far less offensive than any of these others.

Personally, I think dumping into a trash bin is the least desirable way to deal with the end product. I've only had to resort to this option a few times in my nearly 10 years with this head. But it's far less of a problem than many other categories of waste
Old 14-03-2020, 10:48   #432

Wether you target composting or just desiccating, it’s far less ... unhealthy.. than wet sewage.
Old 14-03-2020, 11:59   #433

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
This is what happens when people let government wipe their behinds.......
Go down to your local municipal dump, watch what is coming out of the trucks. Some dried out poop will be the least of your concerns........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 12:10   #434

I personally wish that urban marinas would develop compost collection systems, much like most have pump out systems. I expect this will begin to happen if, as it seems, these heads continue to increase in popularity.
Old 14-03-2020, 12:25   #435

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I’ll just add, you think burying it is fine, what do you think the government does with the waste in dumpsters? In most instances, they bury it.....
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, head, posting