Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2020, 19:46   #451

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Maybe -
Updated ancient toilet
Recycling toilet
dirt lovers toilet
Anti sewage toilet
Toilet war fuel
Old 14-03-2020, 19:47   #452
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hmmm, I'm aware of actual composting toilet systems used in remote (off-grid) camps and cabins. Sun Mar makes a good line of them, but some of these actually compost (not sure about the smaller, self-contained versions, but the bigger one for sure). And these are not separator-type toilets. I've not seen a separator-type toilet used in a cabin.

Of course most "off grid" cabins I aware of use the old fashion method of dealing with all this stuff .

Google tiny homes they are big business
Old 15-03-2020, 04:53   #453

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I actually wish they didn't market these as composting toilets.

I have seen the term BioLitter Toilet ( biolitter controlled toilet https://www.eautarcie.org/en/05c.html ), referencing that the carbon medium, or biolitter, controls the process of waste management. This term is more properly applied to the Joe Jenkins Sawdust Toilet, but should include the separating toilets as well. They were not designed to fully compost the waste but to collect it for composting.

The plant cellulose deactivates certain enzymes in the waste rendering it odor free and easier and more sanitary to handle and manage. The composting cycle is accomplished elsewhere.

Unfortunately most boating applications will never have the opportunity to personally compost this material but must dispose of the material into sanitary landfills.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 05:23   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Thank you. Those are all good points, but I'll clarify. By "roughing it" I'm referring it to the need to physically remove the solid and liquid waste and dump the contents out somewhere. I would rather flush it and forget it. At least with pump outs, I don't have to see or carry any of this crap (literally crap!).
Thanks for the laugh. Flush and forget on a boat...yeah.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 07:22   #455

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Google tiny homes they are big business
Just did ... thanks. You're right .

If I were planning a fixed land home I would definitely use a composting toilet if possible. But I think I'd go for one of the fancier Sun-Mar type of heads, which either don't separate or just evaporate the urine.
Old 15-03-2020, 09:25   #456

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:

If I were planning a fixed land home I would definitely use a composting toilet if possible. But I think I'd go for one of the fancier Sun-Mar type of heads, which either don't separate or just evaporate the urine.

For what I gather from SunMar website is they have the “mobile” version for boats (or RV), it looks interesting because you don’t have to separate liquids from solids. The draw back is the need for some degree of electricity (12 v) and the limiting number of people/times per day it can be used. I’m not sure if I understand that correctly, but it looks like a very interesting concept. Any more info on them?
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:03   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
For what I gather from SunMar website is they have the “mobile” version for boats (or RV), it looks interesting because you don’t have to separate liquids from solids. The draw back is the need for some degree of electricity (12 v) and the limiting number of people/times per day it can be used. I’m not sure if I understand that correctly, but it looks like a very interesting concept. Any more info on them?
I looked long and hard at those models when first considering a composter head. It was the limited use that finally turned me away from them. At the time they were saying their mobile units were only recommended for 1-2 people for full time use. This seemed inadequate to me. And then there was the power usage, which was a lot more than the other composting heads.

Later I had a friend who, unbeknownst to me, had also opted for a composting head. He had installed a Sun-Mar mobile version, but after a few seasons he swapped it out for a Nature's Head. I never got into the details as to why, except he thought the Nature's Head was far superior to the mobile Sun Mar.

All this was some years ago, and maybe their mobile versions have changed. I know they make excellent composting toilets, and would get one in heart beat if I ever move into a fixed land home. I note that Sun Mar is also now making a separator-style toilet, perhaps to compete with the Nature's Head types.
Old 15-03-2020, 11:32   #458
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

My sister has 2 Sun-Mar composter’s in her lake house and has had some pretty gruesome cleanups. She told me she preferred our C-Head!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:37   #459

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
I looked long and hard at those models when first considering a composter head. It was the limited use that finally turned me away from them. At the time they were saying their mobile units were only recommended for 1-2 people for full time use. This seemed inadequate to me. And then there was the power usage, which was a lot more than the other composting heads.

Later I had a friend who, unbeknownst to me, had also opted for a composting head. He had installed a Sun-Mar mobile version, but after a few seasons he swapped it out for a Nature's Head. I never got into the details as to why, except he thought the Nature's Head was far superior to the mobile Sun Mar.

All this was some years ago, and maybe their mobile versions have changed. I know they make excellent composting toilets, and would get one in heart beat if I ever move into a fixed land home. I note that Sun Mar is also now making a separator-style toilet, perhaps to compete with the Nature's Head types.

Great comment, thank you! From their website I gather they have a separator too, but what I see in nature’s head seems to me superior. Anyway, I’m convinced now the separating/drying head of any brand would be better for me to try one day.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 12:40   #460

Boat: Catalina 350

These least couple of posts got me looking at the Sun-mar units online. Currently, when we spend time at our off grid cabin I haul the C-head up there from our boat. So far so good (don't even bother to vent it at the cabin). It would be nice to have something more hands off (ie., no urine separation and dumping), but after reading some of the reviews of the Sun-mar and seeing the price (yikes!) I'll keep doing what I'm doing. If we eventually buy a second, I'll probably go with another C-head.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 13:40   #461

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

The Sun-Mar GTG Portable Electric Waterless Toilet is a very similar toilet to the C-Head. According to the literature the waste is separated but the solids are not stirred. The price is similar as well, about $600 to $700. This small unit will probably fit most small boat head compartments and should be flexible enough to accommodate multiple adult users full time.

The non-separating Sun-Mar toilets, again according to the literature, are larger, maybe the size of the Nature's Head. The literature indicated that the toilet is suitable for a single adult full time and several adults if used seasonally. Cost listed as around $1800. These units may not fit into small boat head compartments and seem to lack any flexibility to accommodate multiple adult users full time.

They are good looking units. More reports from those experiences with these toilets will confirm their suitableness for boating use.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 16:43   #462

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
These least couple of posts got me looking at the Sun-mar units online. Currently, when we spend time at our off grid cabin I haul the C-head up there from our boat. So far so good (don't even bother to vent it at the cabin). It would be nice to have something more hands off (ie., no urine separation and dumping), but after reading some of the reviews of the Sun-mar and seeing the price (yikes!) I'll keep doing what I'm doing. If we eventually buy a second, I'll probably go with another C-head.
Speaking more of cabin use, a urine diverter system would easy to create directed to a small leach bed. Also, a diy composter is pretty easy to fabricate, as always, YouTube is your friend.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 17:50   #463
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
here just build one

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-172196.html
Old 17-03-2020, 19:23   #464

Interesting about the Sun-Mars. I've used, but never owned or maintained, a few different versions. These were the larger, non-diverting, versions. And not the mobile size. These were all installed in remote camps, and the owners seemed quite happy with them.

I did know one person who installed a mobile Sun-Mar on his boat (a Downeaster 38). He swapped it out for a Nature's Head after a couple of seasons. I only know he much preferred the NH.
Old 18-03-2020, 00:44   #465

Boat: Catalina 350

Concerning the C-head, we're actually quite happy with that on the boat. Works well at the cabin too. They do make a separate urine diverter that we would eventually get that could be routed to a larger container located below the cabin. My wife has been talking about wanting to install an outhouse (something I'm not on board with) as she thinks it would be easier for guests and smaller grandkids. Agree with that point. So, as I mentioned above, the Sun-mar (non urine diverting model) caught my attention for that reason. Would love to hear any experiences people have with those types. Does anyone else make a non electric model like the Sun-mar one? Not looking for a diy solution or something I have to fiddle with or have issues with....just if there's a better mouse trap out there than what we're using, I'd like to find out more.

Concerning use on a boat, I'd buy another C-head in a heartbeat if I needed one for that use . Very well designed and simple.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, head, posting