Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2020, 12:47   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting head vs classic head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
On the general point I am completely with you; the way we are living on this planet is unsustainable. It's part of the reason I've gone cruising -- to reduce my personal impact on this planet.

But with regard to the use of composting heads on boats, I don't think they are necessarily better, or worse, for the environment. I think it all depends on how the final product is processed. If the material is allowed to finish going to compost, or otherwise biologically processed, then I think it can be a net benefit. Depositing it into a landfill is likely not a good outcome, although I don't think it is particularly bad either.

All critters on this planet must have some impact on our environment. I don't think we need to apologize for this. But we do have the option of trying to limit our impacts. Becoming more aware of what is required to manage our personal effluents is one step towards reducing our impacts.

But "being green" is not one of my reasons for choosing a composter.
I agree whole with you .
Here in my cruising region the landfills are setup as bioreactors and the methane that is produced is used to fuel small power plants that power the facility . .

My reason for going composting head on my 24 ft islander was it made me a legal liveaboard ( there was no place to put a 15 gallon holding tank ) they required that per person living on the boat. )
now on my 29 well I wanted the storage space the p.o. Had installed a holding tank . It now holds 2 months worth of emergency rations . And I eliminated a hole in the boat below the waterline. So win win.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 12:51   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Inland waters

1. Pull up to a marina service dock.
2. Tell the dock hand, "We need a pump out."
3. When complete, pay the bill (unless free).
4. Flip the dock hand a tip.

All of your bio hazardous waste...

...will be distributed for municipal treatment and disposal in a safe manner, as demanded by the EPA (governing US inland and territorial waters).

Beyond the 3 mile limit...

1. Remove the padlock.
2. Open the valve.
3. Close the valve when the sanitation tank is empty.
4. Put the padlock back on.

This practice, determined by the best scientific minds on this subject, to create negligible hazard for humankind.

What do "Effluent Separating Toilet" Users due beyond the 3 mile limit?

Carry the buckets through the boat (including galley) and try to dump them over the stern rail without dumping them all over, in a pitching sea?

Yeah, I'll stick with my preferred solution.

On land, I would certainly prefer other boaters not stuff there dangerous bacteria and virus infected feces into refuse containers at the marinas we visit. Especially if we are paying to use the facilities and they are not.

I believe proponents of these devices are going to give all boaters a bad name. It's only a manner of time before the regulations come forward, and ^%$^ it up.

Shame.
you really believe that don't you. You should talk to your countrymen in Victoria B.C. They still discharge the cities sewage waste into the Salish sea .
Btw I also operated 3 sewage treatment plants onboard us navy vessels.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 13:34   #108
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you really believe that don't you. You should talk to your countrymen in Victoria B.C. They still discharge the cities sewage waste into the Salish sea .
Btw I also operated 3 sewage treatment plants onboard us navy vessels.
Yes I do.

I don't need to talk to anyone.

As I said, I am quite knowledgeable in these matters.

These practices have been evaluated and deemed adequate by the responsible authorities.

Applicable authorities proclaim that your practice of placing human waste in municipal trash bins is hazardous and illegal.

WRT your last sentence...Shame on you, if true, you should know better.

Promoting this behaviour while we may have the most dangerous virus outbreak known to mankind occurring as we speak, is unconscionable IMHO.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 13:51   #109

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Wow, this thread is still running on..........

I see that the nay sayers are out in force flinging poo.........

I didn't convert to a composting head to be "green", I converted so I could cruise for weeks on end without having to find a pump-out station.

However, here in Marathon, there are about 220 moorings and probably another 50 boats at anchor. The city marina operates two pump-out boats that work the mooring field and anchorage 5 days a week. They pump out every boat here that doesn't have a composting head, they then take all that poo dockside and pump into another holding tank. Then, a guy in a truck comes along and pumps into his holding tank. After that god knows where it goes.

All so you folks don't have to bag top soil once a month and put it in the dumpster.

That's a lot of resources, manpower, fuel and environmental impact just so you don't have to deal with your own crap.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 14:02   #110
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Wow, this thread is still running on..........

I see that the nay sayers are out in force flinging poo.........

I didn't convert to a composting head to be "green", I converted so I could cruise for weeks on end without having to find a pump-out station.

However, here in Marathon, there are about 220 moorings and probably another 50 boats at anchor. The city marina operates two pump-out boats that work the mooring field and anchorage 5 days a week. They pump out every boat here that doesn't have a composting head, they then take all that poo dockside and pump into another holding tank. Then, a guy in a truck comes along and pumps into his holding tank. After that god knows where it goes.

All so you folks don't have to bag top soil once a month and put it in the dumpster.

That's a lot of resources, manpower, fuel and environmental impact just so you don't have to deal with your own crap.........

In Marathon the waste goes from the pump out boat to the city sewers lift station, then on to the city treatment plant. The pee dump takes the same route.
The truck you see is actually discharging into the lift station. This discharge comes from boats located outside Boot Key.
A pretty good system
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 14:03   #111
smj

Quote:
Yes I do.

These practices have been evaluated and deemed adequate by the responsible authorities.

Applicable authorities proclaim that your practice of placing human waste in municipal trash bins is hazardous and illegal.

Promoting this behaviour while we may have the most dangerous virus outbreak known to mankind occurring as we speak, is unconscionable IMHO.

You claim to be knowledgeable in many matters.......I for one have never seen that
Old 31-01-2020, 14:19   #112

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
The truck you see is actually discharging into the lift station. This discharge comes from boats located outside Boot Key.
Well then........ even more people not taking responsibility for their own crap
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 14:22   #113
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Well then........ even more people not taking responsibility for their own crap

:-)...
Old 31-01-2020, 14:28   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes I do.

More sanitary than any feminine hygiene product or any disposable diapers.

Lastly dont believe the hype about this wuhan coronavirus it is no worse than sars was and hundreds of thousands more die each year from the " comon " flu.
This latest will be done and gone by March 31
Old 31-01-2020, 14:43   #115

When I first heard of C H 's I learnt all I could . Then built one from medical commode from thrift store $10. a used 5 gal. bucket free. a used 1 gal mike jug. free and a new urine collector from V A free. and a used funnel. free . took about 10 minutes to set up. and used it at house , in garage for couple months to test. sold me. so I made a better one for on boat. the fancy flush ones I didn't have space for holding tank or plumbing or pumps. Or the extra water. Plus the expense. and so much better than original porta-potty. Lee
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 14:57   #116

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I agree whole with you .
Here in my cruising region the landfills are setup as bioreactors and the methane that is produced is used to fuel small power plants that power the facility . .

That's pretty cool. So really, the operators of these landfills should be encouraging the use of composting heads since it provides the feed stock for their power plants.
Old 31-01-2020, 15:07   #117

Boat: Baba 35

I am in the process of gutting my holding tank system and installing a composting head. Just trying to decide if I should buy one or build one.

If anyone is afraid of pee may I suggest you never get in a hot tub. Ever. As someone who has been responsible for hotel hot tub water chemistry....just don't.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 15:14   #118
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That's pretty cool. So really, the operators of these landfills should be encouraging the use of composting heads since it provides the feed stock for their power plants.

Mike, now ya got me feeling all warm and fuzzy!
Old 31-01-2020, 16:29   #119
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You claim to be knowledgeable in many matters.......I for one have never seen that
Please try to be a little more mature.

This is obviously just sour grapes over the number of times you have attempted to challenge me intellectually and lost miserably.

We do agree that the Boot Key Harbour waste treatment system is effective and efficient BTW.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 16:33   #120
smj

Quote:

Please try to be a little more mature.

This is obviously just sour grapes over the number of times you have attempted to challenge me intellectually and lost miserably.

We do agree that the Boot Key Harbour waste treatment system is effective and efficient BTW.

Geeez Rod, first sign of losing is name calling?
The only challenge we have had is you stating that polyester resin was equal to or superior to epoxy resin in the repairs of wooden boat construction. You were and are wrong.

Tags
classic, head, posting