Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 03:14   #31

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I have stayed at 3 different Brewers, East Greenwich, Mystic and Deep River, and all three were very clean, had pools, showers were plentiful and clean and the docks were in great shape. They are not the cheapest, however, they are certainly not the most expensive. Anything to do with boating in CT is expensive. While I keep my boat at Brewers Deep River, I am not a member of the Yacht club. Not even sure what other benifits I get from that.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 09:26   #32

I have found this thread very helpful! I am looking to move to the aria, and am hoping to liveabord. I am looking to be close to the Wallingford aria, as my daughter lives there. (just got married, and will some day soon have children I hope!) I want to be close enough to do last moment baby sitting, and emergency home repair. My X-wife is looking in the area as well, and will be living there with our youngest 2 children and need to be close to as well, but I don't know where they will be yet. I am thinking the Ct river or Mystic River. I am not thinking perhaps into RI. Now allot will depend on where I find a job, then I will have to find a boat. Oh a lot to do this summer! I am looking for a 30 to 38 footer range. Money is a concern for me, not that it isn't for just about everyone.
I am moving from south of the Albany aria, and I can second that the original poster should stay away from any harbors in the city. Albany to NYC would make me not want to go sailing! Though a extended weekend of sailing to the city would be a lot of fun!
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 11:13   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Paul, I'm not sure how the total tax picture adds up, but IIRC in CT you will pay personal property tax on your motor vehicles--including your boat--every year. But in RI I don't think you have that charge.

So if your work/life are bringing you close to the border, it pays to look at both sides before you make a decision.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 11:49   #34
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Paul, I'm not sure how the total tax picture adds up, but IIRC in CT you will pay personal property tax on your motor vehicles--including your boat--every year. But in RI I don't think you have that charge.

So if your work/life are bringing you close to the border, it pays to look at both sides before you make a decision.
Sorry Not true, CT ditched the property tax on boats a long time ago. They decided to hit you up for registration fees instead. My old 33 cost $150.00 /yr in registration fees. But no Property tax.

Dave
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 11:56   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thanks, Dave. Glad to hear they finally made some progress!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 12:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJ
Sorry Not true, CT ditched the property tax on boats a long time ago. They decided to hit you up for registration fees instead. My old 33 cost $150.00 /yr in registration fees. But no Property tax.

Dave
What about cars? I guess I should ask my daughter, but she is in the middle of moving and I am sure she is going crazy. I am sure she is not up on RI taxes.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 13:54   #37

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
CT still has property tax on cars.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 01:27   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
It will be hard to find a marina that allows you to live aboard. Brewers in Branford stopped this a couple of years ago, and I don't know if the others still allow it. Some still have in the water winter storage; but no one lives on their boats. You may also find it hard to find space in a marina; especially this time of the year.
Old 30-03-2007, 05:05   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul
I have found this thread very helpful! I am looking to move to the aria, and am hoping to liveabord. I am looking to be close to the Wallingford aria, as my daughter lives there. (just got married, and will some day soon have children I hope!) I want to be close enough to do last moment baby sitting, and emergency home repair. My X-wife is looking in the area as well, and will be living there with our youngest 2 children and need to be close to as well, but I don't know where they will be yet. I am thinking the Ct river or Mystic River. I am not thinking perhaps into RI. Now allot will depend on where I find a job, then I will have to find a boat. Oh a lot to do this summer! I am looking for a 30 to 38 footer range. Money is a concern for me, not that it isn't for just about everyone.
I am moving from south of the Albany aria, and I can second that the original poster should stay away from any harbors in the city. Albany to NYC would make me not want to go sailing! Though a extended weekend of sailing to the city would be a lot of fun!
RI does indeed have a good number of liveaboard friendly marinas. Not sure about CT, as others have said.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28   #40

Boat: (Contessa 26, Nicholson 35), Norseman 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I agree with Mike... there is no better protected marina than Deep River. 45mins upstream from the mouth of the river, and it feels like a small pond. Almost feels like you shouldn't have your boat way up there. But it's a safe passage.

Trim50: Here's a photo to get you started on the snow thing... taken at Manhasset Bay Marina no less! That was after the only major snowstorm last winter. Other than that, it wasn't so bad. I use a plastic dustpan and brush to clean the deck off after the snow. Also, I took the mainsail down this winter, since I'm not doing a refit and have the space.
Old post, but I'd like to contact ssullivan. I'm trying to get some info about a boat that's been in Manhasset bay Marina for a few years. Are you out there?

Thanks,

Simon
simonthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 14:28   #41

Boat: Jeanneau 410 Performance 2020
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptnBob
Interesting thread.

Have kept boats from Watch Hill RI west to Clinton CT over the past 30 years.

We currently keep our Beneteau 373 on a mooring at Noank Village Boatyard in Noank (Mystic). They have slips as well as do Noank shipyard and Spicer's. It's a great location with easy access to Block, Newport, Western Long Island, and even Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vinyard within a day. The water is quite clean and much more so than anywhere westward on Long Island sound.

Noank would be exposed in a hurricane. In that case I'd move up the Ct River to Haddam (right above Deep River, where we haul and store in the winter.

It's a great area to sail. The drive from NY is a drag, but many choose to do it
CaptnBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 15:19   #42

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
In my experience, CT's traffic is mostly parallel to the LI coast - on I95 and the Merritt Parkway. That makes the trip from NYC into CT really ugly, but between Albany and CT you can avoid both those roads, and most of the traffic, by traveling the Taconic south from Albany, then cutting east on 84 and finally dropping down into CT headed due south. It's usually around 2-3 hours to get from Albany to anywhere from Greenwich to New Haven this way. I just made the trip for Memorial Day, and even during the Sunday night rush we didn't hit bad traffic.

You may find better rates and better cruising the more east you go , and it doesn't add all that much to the drive, until you go past New Haven. Hope this helps, even though it doesn't give you specific marinas and rates.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38   #43

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
We've had a boat in Norwalk for 22 years, have cruised the shore many times, lots of good suggestions in this thread. If you can accept a mooring, than one of the Brewers marinas up the Ct River might be the answer, since moorings much cheaper than slips, and up the river, not much wave action.

On the other hand, if you want a slip, fairly close to the good cruising, you might want to consider Brewer's Pilots Point, very well located.
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas