Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 23:05   #16

Boat: kuiper 32
Re: Considering buying an older steel ketch....

Hi Jimmy my yacht hasnt been bleeding any where I was just saying that rust is usually very obvious there fore easy to treat.Having weathered a few storms in my yacht and having crossed the tasman in another steel yacht I am very confident my hull has no weak spots.I would rather hit a container in a steel boat than any other material as it would not tear or implode.My keel has a decent size punch mark where it has hit something below the water line and it hasnt holed next time I slip her I will post a photo.A friend of mine hit a rock motoring at 6 knots in his steel yacht it hit so hard the engine tore off the mounts,with hardly a dent,Awesome stuff steel.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 00:24   #17

If you are able and enjoy working with steel. then a steel boat is a fantastic option. i found that, after buying an older steel ketch that it was actually much more worthwhile to build a new steel boat, then to attempt a rebuild on my old one. So, that's the route that i went. I don't know my millimeters, but i wouldn't want a boat with any part of the hull plates thinner than 3/16.ths. check out origami steel boat building by brent swain. Great book.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-2014, 09:00   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Run....
This is the correct answer.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 15:56   #19

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
Hi Jimmy my yacht hasnt been bleeding any where I was just saying that rust is usually very obvious there fore easy to treat.Having weathered a few storms in my yacht and having crossed the tasman in another steel yacht I am very confident my hull has no weak spots.I would rather hit a container in a steel boat than any other material as it would not tear or implode.My keel has a decent size punch mark where it has hit something below the water line and it hasnt holed next time I slip her I will post a photo.A friend of mine hit a rock motoring at 6 knots in his steel yacht it hit so hard the engine tore off the mounts,with hardly a dent,Awesome stuff steel.
thanks Dan ,I am glad to hear it , I agree with you that solid steel is tuff stuff. how ever 2.1mm of steel thickness in the OP is weak IMO .if
he hits a container with that , I think he is going to Davy Jones Locker. Cheers ,
.jimmy
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 16:02   #20

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulherald View Post
Hello there All!

My name's Paul Ross and this is my first post. Me and my honey are wanting to buy a bluewater liveaboard for cruising and working up and down the BC coast. I have found a steel ketch in my area which is in our price-range (35000 bucks), and it looks like a really good bet. It's in fair condition, had a refit, including sandblasting the inside and outside of the hull and application of 5 coats of zinc prior to 4 coats of Bar Rust and finish paintwork in '99, and I have been provided with a survey and sonic hull test of the boat which are recent. Most of the thickness readings indicate thicknesses of 2.7 to 3.9 mm, with a couple of spots reading as low as 2.1mm. The surveyor notes this, and does not cite it as a major issue, just recommending that these places be treated.

My concern is that I have heard tell that the average lifespan of a steel vessel is around 40 years, and this boat was launched in '73 (a good 6 years before I was launched!). What do those of you who know steel boats make of this. Is there such thing as a good buy when it comes to 35 year old steel yachts, or is it affordable merely because it is in it's last years before it would need many thousands of dollars in work done on it?

Thank you in advance for whatever counsel you might provide.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul RUN AWAY from the boat , the survey points to thin steel . that is telling you to run away, or offer him 5,000 for it so you can spend 30,000 towards replating the hull , good luck Paul

cheers

jimmy
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote