Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 11:11   #1

Convertible Table/Dinette

Looking for some owner or knowledgeable sailor intel on several sailboats my wife and I have been looking at the past couple of days. We are a family of four (us and two teenage boys) looking at a number of "beginner" sailboats to enjoy in the Chesapeake area but have realized it is increasingly important for us to have enough room (and more importantly sleeping space) to spread out a little while on weekend trips.

As such, I am looking for answers as to whether certain sailboat models have a convertible table/dinette settee area that makes a mini double-berth. My initial research (which is difficult at times since broker information is often not complete) says that ALL the following models do have convertible table/berths (adding model years to help):

2000 Jeanneau Sun Odessey 37
2004-2008 Beneteau 373
2005-2008 Hunter 36
2001 Hunter 380
2008 Hunter 38
2005 Catalina 387
2000 Catalina 380

If you have knowledge of any of these models (even if it's another nearby model year) that would be super helpful.

Thanks!
Soulseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:22   #2

Re: Convertible Table/Dinette

I have a boat very similar to the style/size above with only two cabins (owners version) and I'm struggling to figure out what the goal of a convertible table would be for your situation. All of those models listed have at least two cabins. If any have three cabins, then I would suspect your problem would be solved with both boys having a private cabin? But even with only two cabins, there is already room in the saloon for one to sleep on the settee without taking the trouble to collapse a table and move cushions around.

The issue I see with the convertible berth in the saloon is that rather than increase privacy, you will find it really has the opposite affect. It is very inconvenient for the child who has to sleep in the saloon because he can't go to bed until everyone else has and has to wake up when anyone else does. Additionally, this person is disturbed whenever anyone needs to walk through to get to the head or galley.

Why can't both teenagers share a cabin? It isn't ideal, but really is better than camping in the saloon. If that doesn't work, I think you'll find the double in the saloon isn't any better than the single settee without all the extra effort.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:30   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

Some of those boats offered the convertible as an option. So it would depend on the specific boat not the model.
And I tend to agree with the above comment that it is not likely to be that useful. Although I have never owned one. I find that often sleeping in the cockpit can be preferable to the main salon.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:43   #4

Yes, I think the convertible table was more a gimmick to make charterers think there were accommodations available for one extra couple rather than an individual.
Old 20-02-2021, 13:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulseer View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2005 Catalina 387
2000 Catalina 380

If you have knowledge of any of these models (even if it's another nearby model year) that would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Almost all Catalinas have Owners Associations, accessed by www.catalinaXYZ.org or 德扑圈下载地址.

You could start there.

Happy Hunting.

Our C34 has a "convertible" saloon. Footprint is like a C380 only smaller. I took the insert cushion home after NOT using it for 22 or the 23 years we've owned this boat. I don't have two teenaged kids, but comments about the usefulness of the saloon for berthing is correct.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 13:14   #6

While I can appreciate one's opinion on this is enjoyable to talk about ... I wasn't really asking for an opinion on whether this is right or wrong. This is how my family is looking at the options with these smaller boats. I am really only interested in whether you know something about these specific boats or not. Not debating the finer points of the option.
Old 20-02-2021, 13:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulseer View Post
While I can appreciate one's opinion on this is enjoyable to talk about ... I wasn't really asking for an opinion on whether this is right or wrong. This is how my family is looking at the options with these smaller boats. I am really only interested in whether you know something about these specific boats or not. Not debating the finer points of the option.

You do realize that folks are just trying to help you? Based on their real life's experiences.
Old 20-02-2021, 13:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You do realize that folks are just trying to help you? Based on their real-life's experiences.
Yes - but I also hope they realize that what works for them is not necessarily what will work for others - or me and my family. I just requested information ... not a debate/opinion or soapbox.
Old 20-02-2021, 14:01   #9

Well, it is an open forum. I mean I realize you did start the thread and all. But it isn’t like you are paying for the information.

I could start my own thread. But now I think I’ll just stay here instead. Are there any owners of the OP’s boats or any others with a convertible table who actually find it a useful addition?
Old 20-02-2021, 16:44   #10

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

We have an H38 and it does have the convertable saloon table. I strongly suspect that the H36 does too.
The H38 has a rear owners cabin and a forward V berth. The saloon option gets used when our daughter and family are aboard - teenage granddaughter. Whoever sleeps in the saloon doesn't get to sleep in though - that screws everybody else up. In our case that means the early rising son in law gets the saloon, daughter sleeps with granddaughter in the V berth and they get up at leisure.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 17:01   #11

Does the s-i-l at least make great coffee?
Old 20-02-2021, 17:46   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Does the s-i-l at least make great coffee?

It's drinkable !
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 18:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
We have an H38 and it does have the convertable saloon table. I strongly suspect that the H36 does too.
The H38 has a rear owners cabin and a forward V berth. The saloon option gets used when our daughter and family are aboard - teenage granddaughter. Whoever sleeps in the saloon doesn't get to sleep in though - that screws everybody else up. In our case that means the early rising son in law gets the saloon, daughter sleeps with granddaughter in the V berth and they get up at leisure.

Very much appreciate the info and constructive feedback about who sleeps where ... very much in line with what we planned to do.
Old 24-02-2021, 10:48   #14

I just bought a 1985 Catalina 30 mk1 tall rig. There's a lot of space, and a lot of people have boats like this, so getting help for maintenance and repairs won't be too hard. You can get a good one for about 15k.
sa1l1ng33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 13:04   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I had a 2004 H36 and it also had one but never used it since it was just my wife, self, and son. Now I have a Jeanneau 41DS and with a 4 inch gel mattress it is very comfortable. My wife likes it because we can watch TV there and cuddle in comfort.
BTW...I am old and hopefully wiser than I was young. Sometimes a simple "thank you" to an unsolicited comment serves everyone better since there are others on the forum who may actually benefit from that comment.

IMHO

Best,

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote