Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 17:51   #166

Boat: Contest 33 (1972 Hull 78)
Re: Conyplex Corporation Contest 33

Hello eeeasy, hello w1651 and thank you so much for responding with great information.
I like to believe that the brown slime in my boat is unrelated and is just a leftover from an earlier mess from another captain.
If I understand you guys right, there is no way water would come thru the joint of keel encapsulation. The reason must be elsewhere right?
I did not inspected the entire boat by now, just was 4 or 5 times on the boat, starting with the biggest mess to clean up.
One of my big water spills, I discovered is the siphon breaker from engine cooling outlet, when engine is running only idle. I ordered a new VETUS siphon breaker and waiting for delivery, to replace and install it the right way. The siphon was actually the reason for the filled up bilge. It was just dripping down in the starboard hatch in the cockpit and obviously for a while, because the engine metal blocks, where the engine is resting on, are very rusty by now. Need probably to replace them too, perhaps with silent blocks.
Did any of you installed the VETUS water lock for raw water cooling? Oh, btw I still have the original engine a Volvo MD11D, which was generally rebuild in 2008. 1300 hrs since than and always starting on the first try. That water lock, on the first look, it seems to make sense, but maybe it's just not necessary to have. Would like to here your opinion .
Bringing the boat out on the hard is not a god time right now, since the season here just started and the boat yards around, are busy and adjusted the pricing accordingly.
So after April 2018 that would be my plan to go out, redo the underwater ship as you guys mentioned, will seal underwater line with biaxial fiberglass and epoxy to have my peace for a while. Also looking for the rudder which wasn't inspected so far. By that time, I'll have all materials purchased and make it a short as possible stay on the hard. Time is money and the yards are requesting to pay a strong dime even after season.
I still belong to the working class, so I can only plan to go to the boat on the weekend. That brings me slowly and step by step thru all the ship.
Thank you again, also for letting me know, I'll never sail alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	159166  
Captain Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 05:25   #167

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Hello Capt Manny
I often get the same color slime and sticky residue after a rain on the sole of my head. I do not know where it comes from or what it is but I have a feeling it is from under the head liner and below the mast. But only when it rains. Weird I know.
I replaced my volvo MD2B 25 hp engine with an electric drive powered by a 48 volt battery bank and two solar panels to charge it. It worked great for what I needed it for and I didn't have to stop and buy fuel. I also could link the bank to the salon batteries and charge them if needed through the inverter or the solar panels as well. But then Came IRMA! ...:-(

Now I am replacing solar panels and bracketing as well as repairing a hole at the deck joint. It also got a few little things too but they are easy to fix and pick up. So she has some battle scars now.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 17:01   #168

Boat: Contest 33

Hi

Can you offer any advice on replacing lighting cables in coach roof?

I have contest 33 no.129

Thanks

Phil
phil g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 00:22   #169

Boat: Contest 33 (1972 Hull 78)

Hello Phil,
I'm in the same situation replacing headlight wire's right now. First, I have 6 lights in the cabin and 1 in the head with 2 bulbs, 1 is a darker night light.
I redid complete electrical system, harvesting power from 1 Panasonic Panel 325 Watt to 600Amp AGM battery bank. Therefore, only LED lights will be used on my boat.
That means replacing old power-eating bulbs for led's
The old wires are unreachable for me, because they're installed between the deck moldings by Coniplex.
I'm doing 2 electrical circuits with AWG Duplex and putting them in a self-sticking wire channel behind the hand rail, that runs on both sides on my ceiling.
I hope that helps, even your boat is 55 hulls later and I'm not sure if the Contest 33 is still identical in those details.
Cheers ��
Captain Manny is offline   Reply With Quote