Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 12:56   #1

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Coronado 32' vs. S-2 30'

We have narrowed the field down to 2 boats. Was almost ready to drop a deposit on the coronado when the S-2 came up. Now am being told coronado would not be a good bahama,caribbean, cruiser. Why not. Both are center cockpit(which we both like) and basically same build as far as hull goes. Either mortgage newer boat or get older boat and fix it to our wishes and able to spend winters south as wanted. Do not want to be a marina sailor. We know S-2's are very capable of these waters, why not so the coronado? Draft issues are same, weight basically same,glass hulls the same. Will wire and plumb both for our wishes the same. Why not? Any ideas would be great. Thanks, Bob
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 23:13   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Coronado 32' vs. S-2 30'

Coronado weighs a ton more and has a foot deeper draft and has a 2 foot longer waterline. They are tanks but have a great deal of liveaboard room below. I would say condition and engine would be the key to a choice between the two.

Have you been looking at aft cockpit boats of the same size?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:23   #3

I did not think to check weight difference. But, this would really be a advantage, wouldn't it? I guess more weight does not mean better built or stronger. Was told draft was roughly the same, but thought I would check this out when coronado was brought out of the water next month. Will keep this in mind. We have looked into aft cockpit on many different makes, just like the lay-out of the cc's we have looked at. Was also told by a salesman that the cc is much safer in larger seas. As we have just started our sailing life last year, thought perhaps going the safer route may be prudent. Could it be that a salesman would lie??? As I said, we really do not know much, and want to get this going with-out big payments. We believe in the thought; buy good,buy low,bye bye. Thank you for the input. Anything is helpful. Bob
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30   #4

Also forgot to add, coronado has a NEW diesel(less than 10 hrs) and S-2 been on the hard for over 5 yrs. No one can tell me last time motor was run. Is also diesel, but worried about motor. The structure on both seem sound, but survey will determine much. Just wondering if all things being even, which is better for novice sailors. Already have spot to berth boat in key west lined up, so I am not just rattling the keyboard. Again, thank you much for your input. Always helpful. Bob
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i would go with s2, but, then, i have sailed coronados

truly novel idea---SAIL BOTH-- then you can buy what you like not what others think.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33   #6

Will try hard to sail coronado soonest. Have to throw down offer on S-2 and get survey lined up to put her in the water. We were just wondering if anyone has had experience with both brands to compare. Thanks again to all. Bob
Old 01-08-2013, 16:58   #7

I would not put any value in a salesman telling you what is safer. Center or aft will be fine for the type of sailing you seem to want. You are not going to the Southern Oceans. If you want visitors and Mother inlaw to be on the other end of the boat, then a CC is a good idea ,but it will make your main cabin much more cramped. It boils down to how comfortable you find the type of boat. A far more important safety issue is good heavy, easy to use ground tackle. In spite of the many posts about boats lost at sea, far more cruising boats are lost to poor anchoring skills or equipment, than are ever lost at sea._______Just my 2 cents worth._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 17:30   #8

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

The S2 is well built and the company is still in business (Power boats) If you wish to move up to a bigger boat the S2 will be easier to sell. I have worked on larger S2 boats and know them as "Bullet proof". S2 used Pathfinder diesels...What is in this one and the Coronado?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 17:39   #9

Boat: S2 9.2C
I am living on a s2 9.2c. I have never been on a Corando. I love my s2. The aft berth is super. Almost a king size bed. I am 6' 3" and 250 lbs. Love the bed. Nice head to. The rest is a bit small. But livable. The boat itself seems robust. I highly recomend it. And a great value!
pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 17:53   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

CORONADO 32
S2 9.2 C - Assuming this is the right model since there are 8 versions that are 30'

So Coronado has a weight advantage, 6700# of non-ballast 'structural' weight vs 5800#. Assuming similar construction quality the Coronado should be somewhat sturdier.

For the Bahamas the S2 draws 10" less. A slight advantage.

For sailing the the Coronado is really lacking in sail area (SA/D of 12.6 vs 16.4 for S2). Count on going slow in light air or motoring more. In moderate or heavy winds, won't make a difference. I don't know what the typical Bahama winds are like.

For livability the S2 is 9" wider and 2' shorter so it might have a little less interior area but looks to be laid out slightly better.

Big plus to the S2 is that the aft cabin connects to the main cabin without going thru the cockpit.

Both boats have sinks to outboard so the drains will back-flood into the boat when heeled enough on the wrong tack.

Offshore I would probably take the Coronado and modify the rig to increase the sail area. Bombing around the Caribbean I would go with the S2.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:10   #11

How old is the Coronado? some are getting really old. Never been impressed by any of them that much but the little 25 was a pretty good boat for what it was. But, as mentioned earlier, maybe it just comes down to which boat is best. For bahamas... draft does matter. Coronado's seem really hard to sell up here anyway. S2's pretty popular...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:57   #12

The age of the coronado is a '78 I believe. The atomic 4 was pulled out and replaced with a diesel. I would be lying if I stated what brand. I think perkins, but mind not as sharp as it should be anymore. The diesel has less than 20 hrs. from crate new. Our plan is stay in caribbean total, not stray farther. 4-6 months yearly, return home and back next winter. We both like the lay-out of the S-2 center cockpit. Just the 2 of us, perhaps 1-2 people for short stay. I agree, the S-2 more handy. Under $10,000 for coronado and under $20,000 for S-2, just trying to get biggest bang for the buck. Thank you all again for input. It is very helpful. Bob
Old 02-08-2013, 20:21   #13

Well, this is my second reply and I'll just state that I haven't sailed either one nor have I explored below either one.
The disadvantage of the Coronado is that it is older, has a lot of freeboard, is deeper draft and the company has been out of business for many years (for a reason).
The advantage is that it is cheaper and has a new engine. That's good if it has the right new engine.
I'll be up front. I don't like center cockpit boats even in the two 46 footers I've sailed and spent time aboard. I really don't like the aesthetics of the Coronado 32.
If the engine on the S-2 is a diesel and runs and has a good survey on it I'd say it is a better choice for you and I'd offer much less than $20K.
Of course this is all very subjective but then again all responses will be.
kind regards,
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42   #14

I agree, John, the cc design really closes up the below deck space, but wife really likes it, and so you know that "we" really like it now. I think I would be happy in a shoe box. I also agree that the motor should be the right one. Believe he told me it was a 18 h.p. 3 cyl. Again, the mind thing. I would rather see a 25-30 h.p. motor as it is heavier. I have asked and cannot get a straight answer about motor from salesman. It has been at least 5 yr. since motor on S-2 was run. You are right, half the asking price and see what happens. I could sleeve the motor and except setting the injectors, could over-haul it myself. Not that I want to. Sails,gear,and interior all very good, just question of motor. Again, thanks to all. Advice will be put to good use. Bob
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42   #15

Hi Bob,
Yes, 18 hp sounds a bit small for the heavy displacement 32 especially if beating into wind and seas with something with high freeboard and windage.
It sounds as if you will be getting a survey done and that's very good. I'd have an engine survey done on the S2 since you don't know the condition. Your offer will, of course, be contingent on the survey and you can just subtract $10K if the engine is trashed.
Good luck in your choice and follow your dreams.
kind regards,