Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 13:12   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Cost for standing rigging for Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Cost for a sloop with a 93' airdraft, triple spreader, rod with all new fittings and turnbuckles is ~$15k. But as others have said ask a rigger or a spar maker.
You must either have a magician doing either your rigging, or your accounting books. As $15k to redo a boat that size in rod seems fairly low. Especially with the turnbuckles & all of the fittings included.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 13:35   #17

We have a pretty good idea about costs for a boat this size, we've owned it for 17 years, it costs what it costs. In all fairness, the bill will be much higher as we'll have other work done but the standing rigging figure is accurate.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:12   #18

Boat: Olympic 40 On 851431

Does the quote also include mast tuning
what is the projected life expectancy of your replacement rig 5-10 years
Just had a rigging inspection for Panataenius Marine Insurance
Passed
Wire Standing rigging what sort of life expectancy should one expect with
moderate use i know its a open question but looking for a common sense answer
does any body use any preventative maintenance strategy ie replacing one stay or opposing stays every 12 months 10 stays total 2 per year change out never older than 5 years Back Stay and Both Fore Stays three year rotation
40ft Cutter
located Australia East Coast Gold Coast
Dash-Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:07   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

standing rigging shoul dlast 20 yrs.
po of my oat spent 10000 usd in 2004 on htis one.
he was overcharged and rigger didnot do the job completely. oopsy. avoid lost angeles for rig work.
i was estimated 1500 usd for an ericson 35. i know replacing rigging by self is a lot less pricey. one by one is easiest way to change out wires, but the tangs and chainplates also need attention if you are changing out the rig. vagabond 47 have wood masts--check spreaders and masts for integrity and rot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:46   #20

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
Thank you Jim. I just took your advice.

Thanks everyone. I just called a rigging company in my area and got a quote from the owner who is very familiar with the Vag-47 requirements.

Estimate is very close;
Wire and turnbuckles = $8500.00
Labor = $3000.00

Sounds pretty good. I thought it would be MUCH more. Of course there will be extra charges for other things that are seen at time of work.

Sorry to sound "testy" in my previous reply everyone. I'm just stressed today. Lot of money and big decision.
As mentioned by someone before me, the price seems high. Try asking ACMO directly for a quote. I know that for my boat €8000 includes all hardware.... and its a ketch like yours.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 21:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Make a list of the components you want/need, starting at your chainplates, & going all of the way to your tang bolts & masthead. Then go to an online rigging supplier & plug in the numbers. Like RiggingandHardware.com Though parts are but a fraction of the equation. Just unrigging, & unwiring everything, plus crane time to lower the mast can be rather expensive if all of it's hired out.

But keep in mind there are always unexpected & expensive things which come up when redoing a rig. Some of them hardware, much of it labor. And given that it sounds as if you're unfamiiiar with rigging, the costs of a re-rig can be a bit higher due to this. Meaning your having to leave all/most of the work to the rig shop, & more of the decisions in their hands.

Not to mention my ever present recommendation to run an extra set of wires or two up your conduit, so that you can add things later, should you choose to, without dropping the mast. Ditto on adding a spare halyard sheave, & stay attachment point. Such as a Solent Stay, spare Spinnaker Halyard, or 2nd Topping Lift.

Very good advice. I keep a messenger line in my mast to lead any future wire runs. A good rigger will have a cord with a string of pearls err washers that will snake down as well.

Not sure where you are or are headed but Oriental NC is a sweet spot for east coast rigging if you can get under 64 foot air draft.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 18:01   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Some spare parts for ya
#10095 1981 46.5' Blue Water Yacht Builders Ltd. Vagabond Sailboat

Tags
rigging