Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 19:56   #1

Crack in Ferro Keel

Hi Guys, New here.
One question or more depends how the answers go.
We are looking at a 12m (38 foot), Hartley south seas ferro hull boat.
A lot of boat for the money they are asking.
Now this boat has been on the hard for nearly 12years-previously in the water sailing around New Zealand, It has developed a crack down the length of the keel, Almost dead center and 1/2 inch deep, smaller than 1/8 accross.
Is this a stress crack from siting to long and easily repaired?? OR is it caused by the steel rusting and blowing the concrete apart. It is a straight line therefore I am thinking it is running along the line of the reinforcing.
All ideas gratefully received.
irgnz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 21:40   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Cool Re: Crack in Ferro keel

I think I would find a Ferro surveyer real quick !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 21:44   #3

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl
Re: Crack in Ferro keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by irgnz1000 View Post
Is this a stress crack from siting to long and easily repaired?? OR is it caused by the steel rusting and blowing the concrete apart. ...
imho, either way, I would run.
Old 04-02-2012, 22:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

1/8" x length of keel is a very big crack.

I'm with the suggestion that you start running now.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 23:49   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I would not touch this with my worst enemy's boat hook...
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

If it is in a straight line down the center of the keel and it is full length, I'd be concerned that what you are seeing is a failed secondary bond. As in they plastered one half of the boat first, took too long a break for lunch, and kept plastering after having lost the primary bond. Some larger ferro boats were even built this way on purpose, relying on an acid etch and primer for the secondary bond. It's just not anywhere near as good a method as the usual one day plastering of the whole boat in a single go. Ferro is not my specialty though, others here know much more. Look to see if the crack looks like a seam that is full length fore and aft, above the waterline as well as below. If so, definitely run. If not, you should probably run anyway. If it's been sitting for that long with a big crack in it, that means the armature could have been exposed to moisture for that length of time. Not worth it, IMHO. But, like I say, I don't know much about ferro. Someone with more specific knowledge will probably chime in sooner or later.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41   #7

I have had ferro boats for along time and even had a south seas in the driveway for over 9 years and never have i encountered what you describe so i agree RUN
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31   #8

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:04   #9

As a matter of interest how much were they asking for this boat?, Liability? or what ever i promise that i am not thinking of trying to out bid you
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43   #10

They bare only asking $8000.00 NZ. Not a lot with boat prices over here. I know that should be the fist sign to run but you need to research things before making the decision.
With all the work he's done on it and all the bits that come with it, Laundry,Stove, Shower, Hydro steering ETC and $3000.00 worth of electronics. Got to wander!!!!!!!!!!!!

On first impressions I to thought it was a joint crack and that they had done half the boat one day then finished it a few months later.

Getting my running shoes on NOW!!!!!!
irgnz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 14:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by irgnz1000 View Post
They bare only asking $8000.00 NZ. Not a lot with boat prices over here. I know that should be the fist sign to run but you need to research things before making the decision.
With all the work he's done on it and all the bits that come with it, Laundry,Stove, Shower, Hydro steering ETC and $3000.00 worth of electronics. Got to wander!!!!!!!!!!!!

On first impressions I to thought it was a joint crack and that they had done half the boat one day then finished it a few months later.

Getting my running shoes on NOW!!!!!!
The price is not the reason why to run, nor is it the reason to buy. The reason to get in your car (and drive very fast) is that the work that has been done is mainly the bits and pieces to keep the other half happy while the structural integrity of the boat has been left. First thing that that the owner should be considered is keeping a boat afloat without falling apart.
My guess is that he/she has got to that point and ....

Laundry, Stove, Shower comes way down the list. If anyone one is going to plow money in to electronics (as opposed to electrical)l then that is one of the last things to get considering technological reduancy and expiry of warranties.

Good luck with yur search, eventual you will find the right boat or it will find you.
Old 05-02-2012, 15:20   #12

Boat: 33ft sloop

In the long past I have dealt with a Hartley - even crossed the Biscaye in one - but once they are severely broken, there is no way to get the structural integrity back.
Minaret is probably right in his assumption but the why is not important here, the thing to do is turn your back and never come back.

In the Biscay we were dropped of a wave and fell a few metres down. The engine which was installed in the middle of the boat came partially loose as one of the welded brackets of the engine foundation had broke off. Another one was bended and partially cracked. There were more things but this was the most structural damage.
The point is that there is no way of bonding ferro again when the crack is serious. In La Coruna I opened up the concrete around the steel bar which was welded onto the steel core and welded another piece of metal. I am quite sure that the heat of the welding did something to the foundation although the engine remained in place along the rest of the trip.
Once the integral structure is disturbed the boat cannot be saved - it is end of story.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11   #13

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I still advise running like hell but on the other hand - how brave are you?
A little stone set or speed crete in the crack then a fiberglass patch epoxied over that and go sailing for cheap! (invest your money in a good life raft and epirb)
Look at it this way - you can sail off to where ever and when you get there(if)
you can give the boat away (sink it or pile it up on a nice sandy beach) fly home and be done with it except for the book writing that will make you rich and famous! All for only $8000? Sounds like a good investment to me!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 18:16   #14

Boat: Cooper 42'

Good way to look at Geoduck..
Fun times and then sell everything on it and fly home...
Old 08-02-2012, 00:39   #15

all you need is a carton of Sikaflex, some dyna bolts and mild steel straps and your good to go....dont forget the back up life raft for the back up life raft.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro, keel