Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 16:49   #31

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Cruising Boats (Another Lesson)

I went from Alberg 30 to Westsail 32 to live aboard and always admired the salty look and sturdiness of W32....W32 was twice the displacement and , if not more, twice the boat interior volume wise!
However there are many days I wish I still had my A30. She was easier to single hand and easier to stop when pulling into the slip
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 16:52   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I went from Alberg 30 to Westsail 32 to live aboard and always admired the salty look and sturdiness of W32....W32 was twice the displacement and , if not more, twice the boat interior volume wise!
However there are many days I wish I still had my A30. She was easier to single hand and easier to stop when pulling into the slip
Jason, btw Crabpot's full keel boat was a Bristol 27!

I thought I'd been blocked and couldn't tell you because it might tip off who I was but "they" figured it out anyway even with my Canadian IP Address! It was a content bust not network

Also did you do the Kiptopeke trip?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 17:15   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you can't afford the accessories you can't afford the boat to cruise on! In the cruising world where your boat is your home ALL THE TIME it is IMO foolish to let being cheap* override being comfortable and happy.

* being difference between being cheap and being frugal

Keeping and running a yacht out of Hamble (Hants)

If you have to ask how much it costs you probably can't afford it.

Other food for thought
A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.

Yachting simulator - standing under an ice cold shower fully dressed tearing up $100 bills
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26   #34

Thomm,

It's strange to say, perhaps, but when I step aboard a sailing vessel, I always want that feel of a sailing vessel - the surge of the water translated through the deck to my feet, smells of salt and diesel, the waft of the breeze and the slap of the halyards... *all* contribute to and reinforce the experience of sailing, being separate from land and connected to the sea and wind.

My main beef with these kitted out boats is exactly what you express: Once onboard, you wouldn't even know that you're on a boat. To my mind, that is a subconscious contributor to ignorance of being on the water, which flows into an increased lack of awareness and thus, reduced seamanship.

For me, I want to know I'm on a boat. In the ocean. Capturing the wind.

But that's just me.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
So to spin-off this. obviously the bigger the boat the more the cost. Especially long term with mooring docking, slip cost. If my wife and I do want to cruise the Caribbean (even try to make a run to Jamaica which I read is some rougher sailing). What is the minimum length you would choose-understanding that certain makes sail better, and that despite best efforts eventually will get caught in rough seas a time or two Would like 2 berths minimum. Make length and why.
I think there is a sweet spot around 34-37ft and its certainly a popular size on CF. Personally any of the European fin keeled yachts from the last 3 decades, but I understand US folk liking for their long keeled yachts.

Couple of thoughts, it must have that "look back factor" in other words when you row away in the dinghy do you look back fondly at your yacht. Also it will be your home all the time, whilst a rough passage will end, eventually so choose something to live on with a layout that suits your needs.

Your problem, probably too much choice.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:05   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
So to spin-off this. obviously the bigger the boat the more the cost. Especially long term with mooring docking, slip cost. If my wife and I do want to cruise the Caribbean (even try to make a run to Jamaica which I read is some rougher sailing). What is the minimum length you would choose-understanding that certain makes sail better, and that despite best efforts eventually will get caught in rough seas a time or two Would like 2 berths minimum. Make length and why.

Probably mid 30s for length. Always use good weather planning. Don’t follow any schedule. Leave harbor only with a favorable window for weather.

To keep costs down - Get a very good anchor and stay out of the marinas. Over the last three Caribbean seasons living aboard from November to June we have anchored out all but 10 days. Same with pay moorings, stay away if possible. Do your own maintenance and repairs. Hang out on the morning cruisers net on the VHF. This your ticket to community, tools, help with jobs and with locating things.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:16   #37

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Warning: once you get one it's hard going back.
Hmmmm... kinda depends on what flips-yer-switch... I inched up to a mid-40s (14-ton) ketch over many years... owned it for about 8-9 years, learned a lot... the next boat was a Bristol 24, and that I think is still my favorite... the "back-up" was a pleasure and I reveled in going down to do an afternoon or so of puttering that would have been 5-10 days of sweating on the other (which I enjoyed at the time... don't misunderstand). when you can sand, fill, patch and paint as fast as the epoxy will set up, it is hard to wipe the smile off my face...
Old 09-10-2019, 06:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I have always found it far easier and more cost effective to pay someone to do the dirty relatively unskilled jobs while I do the less messy but need to be done right jobs.
Yep, I used to do my own sanding, and antifouling. For a lot of years. Not any more. We write the check!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:37   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Good for you!

The thing is I can afford a boat like my buddy's Formosa 46 but now that it's had time to sink in (my visit aboard), it's not the boat for me.

I cannot see me day sailing that boat whenever I pleased as a single hander, and if I did, I cannot see any excitement generated from it or most any boat that heavy and large.

36'-37' fin keel might be the cutoff for me.

This may have been last year. I sailed off anchor but there was almost no wind. Then the temp dropped in an hour and this front rolled in. It had been so hot I had on only shorts, boots (I hiked earlier in the am), and my harness as the wind came up.

It was the best part of my 4 day cruise. I cannot see the Formosa or many other big boats providing this much fun. I crossed the 15 -20 miles or so of this portion of the bay in very good time

Second video was from 45 minutes earlier.

Thanks! Now I understand your original post. If you enjoy day sail singling that would be to much boat at least for me.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:10   #40

Boat: ShuttleWorth 32 Catamaran

Quote:
I cannot see me day sailing that boat whenever I pleased as a single hander, and if I did, I cannot see any excitement generated from it or most any boat that heavy and large.
From your experience maybe check out 28-32' catamarans. Easy to single hand, outboard engine, good deck space, shallow draft. I work full time and had no problem knocking off 100 days sailing before labor day this year, much of it by myself. We sail the same area as you and 80% of the anchorages we choose have less than 3' at the creek entrance. There are new cruising grounds and anchorages everywhere once the mindset is 2' is safe water to enter. We had a 26' mono for 6 years previous and found both our daily and total cruising range doubled with the cat since its significantly quicker and more comfortable. Ample of excitement when the wind is up and speeds climb with it.
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Thomm,

It's strange to say, perhaps, but when I step aboard a sailing vessel, I always want that feel of a sailing vessel - the surge of the water translated through the deck to my feet, smells of salt and diesel, the waft of the breeze and the slap of the halyards... *all* contribute to and reinforce the experience of sailing, being separate from land and connected to the sea and wind.

My main beef with these kitted out boats is exactly what you express: Once onboard, you wouldn't even know that you're on a boat. To my mind, that is a subconscious contributor to ignorance of being on the water, which flows into an increased lack of awareness and thus, reduced seamanship.

For me, I want to know I'm on a boat. In the ocean. Capturing the wind.

But that's just me.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
That's sort of how I feel M.

Tom
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20   #42

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'm thinking I could actually get some sleep on a boat like this since it definitely will not toss, turn, roll etc like my boat does at anchor or at the dock
Ahahahahaha sure. Our 53 might be more stable than a 37, and there are plenty of good reasons for a larger boat, but it will sure toss, turn and roll just the same. Work on some techniques to minimize it on your boat and see if it's better: Flopper stoppers, a kedge anchor to hold you to the swell or pulling yourself at an angle to the swell with a long snubber on your chain are three things that cure the anchorage rolls, because sometimes, even tiny swells taken just wrong will make our big boy throw the coffee cups around in the morning.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:22   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Thanks! Now I understand your original post. If you enjoy day sail singling that would be to much boat at least for me.
I'm sure I'd destroy a few docks learning to get thing into it's slip as a single hander, but the sailing wouldn't be hard to learn I don't believe.

I'd definitely miss the "feel" though of a smaller boat
Old 09-10-2019, 08:25   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Ahahahahaha sure. Our 53 might be more stable than a 37, and there are plenty of good reasons for a larger boat, but it will sure toss, turn and roll just the same. Work on some techniques to minimize it on your boat and see if it's better: Flopper stoppers, a kedge anchor to hold you to the swell or pulling yourself at an angle to the swell with a long snubber on your chain are three things that cure the anchorage rolls, because sometimes, even tiny swells taken just wrong will make our big boy throw the coffee cups around in the morning.
Yeah, I definitely need to learn to use a second anchor.

I have spun my boat in the middle of the night due to swell on the beam by pulling in anchor line and cleating it off midships but I don't know the name of that technique.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
From your experience maybe check out 28-32' catamarans. Easy to single hand, outboard engine, good deck space, shallow draft. I work full time and had no problem knocking off 100 days sailing before labor day this year, much of it by myself. We sail the same area as you and 80% of the anchorages we choose have less than 3' at the creek entrance. There are new cruising grounds and anchorages everywhere once the mindset is 2' is safe water to enter. We had a 26' mono for 6 years previous and found both our daily and total cruising range doubled with the cat since its significantly quicker and more comfortable. Ample of excitement when the wind is up and speeds climb with it.
That's not a bad idea, but I had always thought I get a monohull one day when I got older. (even while I was racing the beach cats)

Also, I have flipped and pitch poled (especially with the spinnakers up) all my beach cats so many times pushing them to the edge of control that I'd probably not be able to totally relax even on a large cat when offshore.

Sometimes I even flipped them in relatively light winds sailing home after races having a beer etc when not paying attention

Plus I've seen some really nice monohulls lately including two Bristol 35.5 without centerboards

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/77203

Tags
boat, cruising, grass