Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 15:38   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Cruising Boats (Another Lesson)

So I was talking to one of my dock mates this evening and he was telling me about all the stuff he planned to buy at the boat show in Annapolis that's coming up (and I thought the $10,000 I have spent on my boat over the last 8 years was a lot. He might spend that at the boat show)

But that isn't the point.

We were talking boats and about his boat that I had never been on. So he invited me to come aboard

His boat is a Formosa 46! (disp 33,000, 13' beam) I loved this boat and couldn't believe the space, large sleeping areas, big engine, 11' dinghy, and the amounts of water (160 gallons) and fuel it can carry.

If I was blind folded and the boat's deck was equal to the dock, I wouldn't have known I was on a boat!

So as I'm walking back to my boat I'm trying to grasp/understand this.

Then I get on my boat to close it up (I was there in the first place to put the sail cover on from yesterday's sail, etc)and it rolls a bit. I entered the cockpit and ……...well I was home

Bristol 27 (6600 lbs disp, 8' beam)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/formosa-46

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 16:00   #2

Re: Cruising Boats (Another Lesson)

yeah, big boats do make for a stable platform. Warning: once you get one it's hard going back.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 16:22   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Whenever 3 footitis strikes, just stop for a moment and imagine yourself anti-fouling your new object of affection.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 16:32   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Whenever 3 footitis strikes, just stop for a moment and imagine yourself anti-fouling your new object of affection.
Yes but this is still sinking in.

I'm thinking I could actually get some sleep on a boat like this since it definitely will not toss, turn, roll etc like my boat does at anchor or at the dock

But that doesn't mean I have to buy a Formosa 46 or Westsail 32 but a Tartan 37 might be a good compromise and have a bit of performance
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:57   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Quote:
I've done exactly that! Thinking of waxing the topsides or buying new sails also works!
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:05   #6

Yeah, sometimes I force myself to think; "ok how bad do you really want this new $3000 item? If you use it 12 times a year, 50 times in 4 years, that's $60 every time you use it." That helps to put it in perspective for me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23   #7

Boat: Tartan 33

I went from dinghies to a Lightning, to a Capri 25, and then to a Tartan 33. I want eventually to go up to about 46 feet, but the cost of sails, rigging, moorage, haulouts, and every other expense puts me off. I'm pretty happy with my Tartan for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

If you can't afford the accessories you can't afford the boat to cruise on! In the cruising world where your boat is your home ALL THE TIME it is IMO foolish to let being cheap* override being comfortable and happy.

* being difference between being cheap and being frugal
Old 08-10-2019, 11:04   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So I was talking to one of my dock mates this evening and he was telling me about all the stuff he planned to buy at the boat show in Annapolis that's coming up (and I thought the $10,000 I have spent on my boat over the last 8 years was a lot. He might spend that at the boat show)

But that isn't the point.

We were talking boats and about his boat that I had never been on. So he invited me to come aboard

His boat is a Formosa 46! (disp 33,000, 13' beam) I loved this boat and couldn't believe the space, large sleeping areas, big engine, 11' dinghy, and the amounts of water (160 gallons) and fuel it can carry.

If I was blind folded and the boat's deck was equal to the dock, I wouldn't have known I was on a boat!

So as I'm walking back to my boat I'm trying to grasp/understand this.

Then I get on my boat to close it up (I was there in the first place to put the sail cover on from yesterday's sail, etc)and it rolls a bit. I entered the cockpit and ……...well I was home

Bristol 27 (6600 lbs disp, 8' beam)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/formosa-46

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27
My move from a Tanzer 22 to a San Jan 28 was very easy. But the move from the San Juan 28 to the Tayana 42 was difficult. Not only is everything larger and more expensive there is so much more of it and so many other systems as well that were new to me and never concerned me on the smaller boats. After 12 years of ownership there are still things I haven't gotten to and just learning about.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:09   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes but this is still sinking in.

I'm thinking I could actually get some sleep on a boat like this since it definitely will not toss, turn, roll etc like my boat does at anchor or at the dock

But that doesn't mean I have to buy a Formosa 46 or Westsail 32 but a Tartan 37 might be a good compromise and have a bit of performance
You may not get the sleep worrying about your bank account. I might.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:31   #11

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
yeah, big boats do make for a stable platform. Warning: once you get one it's hard going back.
Not necessarily true. Went from our Alberg 30 trainer in the PNW to a Cape Dory 36 which we sailed to the islands, across the pond and all over the Med for about ten years, only to recently go back to a 28 footer as our summer cruiser here in Med Spain.

Loved the Cape Dory 36, and in all respects she was a wonderful boat, but just a bit too much expense for dockage and maintenance considering we weren't planning to go back to full-time, liveaboard cruising any time soon.

The smaller Shannon 28 cutter that we now own is a perfect size for our needs. She is incredibly simple, with no air-con, shore power, fridge or pressure water or any of the numerous complexities of charging systems to run all that stuff. The windlass is manual, and even the Yanmar 2GM engine can be started with a hand crank if need be.

Absolutely love the simplicity and low cost of having gone back to small.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:48   #12

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, sometimes I force myself to think; "ok how bad do you really want this new $3000 item? If you use it 12 times a year, 50 times in 4 years, that's $60 every time you use it." That helps to put it in perspective for me.
NOW that's (Another Lesson). I will use this method to put things into perspective. hummm how often will I use a Mizzen staysail? Ok OK I'm cheating already. But, I will make this work ... after the Annapolis Boat Show! Damn that Gin Barge!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:55   #13

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Absolutely love the simplicity and low cost of having gone back to small.

There's something real to be said for that too. It's smart to find your own niche in money outlay and comfort. The guy in the Catalina 22, and the guy in the 45 footer - both experience the exact same sun and spray and location. I find with a simple rig, the background worries are less. If you can be happy with less, you can have more. A good night's sleep is important though as a bottom line, however you find it.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:03   #14

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

I have always found it far easier and more cost effective to pay someone to do the dirty relatively unskilled jobs while I do the less messy but need to be done right jobs.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05   #15

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you can't afford the accessories you can't afford the boat to cruise on! In the cruising world where your boat is your home ALL THE TIME it is IMO foolish to let being cheap* override being comfortable and happy.

* big difference between being cheap and being frugal[

Totally agree
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, grass