Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 09:27   #1

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Cruising monohull $65-90k

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, but have read many a post here over the years. Hope you're all enjoying a beautiful sailing summer like we are if you're in the Northern hemisphere.

My wife and I sail a 1976 C&C 30 which I refitted (a complete re-wire, rebedding and replacing hardware and chainplates, all new electronics, paint etc) after it was basically left to the elements for a couple of years. Point being, I can maintain and fix an old boat, and I do everything I can myself to save $$. This said, I've maintained a 40 year old boat for a while and I'm ready for something newer - preferably '90's or even early 2000's.

We want to purchase a much larger boat (38-45ft) that we can cruise comfortably and live on in the BVI's and Eastern Carribean and possibly take as far south to Bonaire (we are avid divers).

We have slip neighbors who recently completed a similar trip - on an Island Packet 32. The 32 is a gorgeous boat, and I know IP has a reputation for building very strong boats, but this is way too small. There is also no swim platform - diving would be very difficult. I see IP boats for sale in my price range up to 38', and they tick a lot of boxes for us, but I'm also worried these boats are very slow in light air and the lack of swim platforms is a bummer.. That said, my wife loves them...

We are looking in the $65-90k price range for a 38-45' monohull, 5' draft or less, we want a stiff boat (we sailed a hunter 33 for a year that would sail on its ear in the slightest puff - we hated that), ideally we have a Pullman berth or a large aft stateroom, and ideally it's a boat that's easy to dive off of.

I'd love to hear this forums recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 13:41   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Cruising monohull $65-90k

We made an offer on an ip38,we had sailed on ,,,owner didn't take it, then ended up selling 18 months later and 20k less . They are good heavy air boats, they will be slow in anything under 12 or so knots. Caribbean wind's are typically higher. A better light airboat will not be as comfy at anchor or in the rough stuff, Always a trade off. Some things though, ip's have internal aluminum tanks and several have needed replacement, huge undertaking and expensive. Also chain plates and rigging may need attention also expensive. Also the 38 can get small fast. I'd look for a larger 41-42 maybe a Brewer, CSY 44, or refitted endeavour , maybe even a catamaran? You could find a pdq36 or similar close to the high end of your range😉

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 20:42   #3

Thanks so much dulcesuenos. Brewer and Endeavor were never brands I considered. I am definitely open to cats, however I always felt they were out of the price range. I will check out PDQ. Really appreciate the input.

All the best,
Ryan
Old 14-08-2016, 21:02   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A question about the budget. Is the $ range quoted for the boat only, or the boat, plus fixing her up, as well as fitting her out? As doing either of the latter two can run well into the 4-digit range. With both totalling half of your stated budget.

I'd also suggest looking at/for some of the smaller catamarans. Both production, & one off or DIY built. You get a lot of comfort for the dollar, for living on the hook. With the trade offs being less payload, & less ultimate seaworthyness. And if you pursue this, more bridgedeck clearance is better.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 21:23   #5

Thanks Uncivilized. 65-90 would be our initial purchase price. I'm hoping if we buy a $90k boat it's 95% turn key (it has a solid dinghy, all major systems are a-ok, maybe I have the life raft repacked, upgrade the radar, and we're off...) whereas $65k gives us much more wiggle room to upgrade/refit a bit more seriously.

Sounds like I've got to do more cat research... Just never really considered them as I figured initial and ownership costs here in the Northeast will be significantly higher. We would keep the boat up here for a couple seasons before making our way down.
Old 14-08-2016, 23:50   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I think the Amel Maramu would be a good fit for you.

Find one in good nick (most are as their owners are cruisers and hate fixing things while on passage.)

If in EU talk to Michel Charpentier or if in NA, the Amel dealer based in FLA.

Both know their stuff and are straight shooters.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 15:39   #7

Boat: Wauqueiz Pretorian 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
I think the Amel Maramu would be a good fit for you.

Find one in good nick (most are as their owners are cruisers and hate fixing things while on passage.)

If in EU talk to Michel Charpentier or if in NA, the Amel dealer based in FLA.

Both know their stuff and are straight shooters.

GL

I think you may have misread the price range.
AMFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 17:37   #8

Not sure you absolutely need a swim platform for scuba diving adventures. Anchorages are usually boring dive sites. I usually dive from the dinghy, easy to get in and out and you can get to the good dive sites that way.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 01:46   #9

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFE View Post
I think you may have misread the price range.
Really? I found 4 under $100K.

This one looks like it needs little to go to blue waters... if not much work needs doing, it's probable the total cost will be less than purchase + refit.

1983 Amel Maramu Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If the OP is serious, he should contact Joel Potter in Fort Lauderdale if in USA or Michel Charpentier if in EU. Both of these guys forgot more about these boats than...

GL with the search.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 20:25   #10

Thanks guys. The Amels are beautiful. The problem is their draft. My home port is currently on the Barnegat Bay in NJ. Don't know if anyone here is familiar with that area, but I bump all the time in my little C&C30. With a 6'5" draft I wouldn't even make it in past the inlet...
Old 17-08-2016, 22:04   #11

I would have gone with an Amel except it makes the Fl keys near impossible, and the Bahamas very tough

Old 17-08-2016, 23:35   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

I'd also suggest looking at/for some of the smaller catamarans. Both production, & one off or DIY built. You get a lot of comfort for the dollar, for living on the hook. With the trade offs being less payload, & less ultimate seaworthyness.
Less seaworthiness?

I think not.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 03:09   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Less seaworthiness?

I think not.....
With a budget of only 60-90k USD for a small live aboard catamaran, yes seaworthiness will be an issue to consider.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 03:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
With a budget of only 60-90k USD for a small live aboard catamaran, yes seaworthiness will be an issue to consider.
I think seaworthiness of a catamaran can be broadly debated, as most types of cats have crossed oceans safely. Proper weather planning can ensure a safer more comfortable voyage . Any catamaran can cross an ocean (except hotrods&#128513 , Prouts, catalacs, Fountain pajot maldives, tobagos,. PDQ' 32, 34,36, AMI 32, Woods Cats if well built endeavour cat 30-36, Victory cat 35, Solaris cats, even Geminis, could all be considered fine for the Caribbean, Bahamas etc by many, most of which are well within his price range.

Old 18-08-2016, 03:45   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Catalac, Prout, Oceanic, Gemini etc, Heavenly twins, PDQ, Woods designs, Wharrams etc.. There are a fair amount of seaworthy cats for sale sub 100K if you look around. Older but if a Cat was wanted, can be got in good condition. From 26 foot to 40 foot. A couple of Catalac 10s and 12s for sale currently at @ 60K.. 40 foot of luxury at a bargain price... All will do for the cruising areas planned.

I even saw a FP Mahe for sale in Mallorca 2 months ag, tatty interior (kids) but great hulls and equipment all in good order...he would have taken €88K. (Sold now).

But yes, newer and cheaper for a mono in that price range. As the PO is not insisting on a Cat, the mono choice is wider.

Atoll would not be building the Prout if it was not seaworthy.... I have always been prejudiced toward them for a number of reasons, and yet of late and after a couple of visits to see them, My prejudices are unfounded...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hull, monohull