Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 06:04   #1

CS36T Standard Vs. Shoal Draft

Hi All. Currently shopping for a solid CS36T. One model is the shoal, rest are standard draft. I realize it may hurt upwind performance slightly, on the fence as far as pros and cons. Intented cruising grounds South Coast NS Canada with a planned Caribbean sabbatical trip 3 yrs time. Would like to take ICW one way and go offshore via Bermuda one way. Re Sail performance I am coming from a Bayfield, more concerned with seaworthiness, the boat I am sure will impress me on all points compared to B29. Thanks!
rodtremblay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:29   #2

Re: CS36T Standard Vs. Shoal Draft

The CS36 assuming it was well maintained is a wonderful cruising boat that sails very well. Its built to a much higher standard than the C&C's of the day. The layout below works very well but it could use a bit more storage. The shoal draft keel is a scheel keel and as you know won't point up as high as the deep draft model but for cruising it makes little difference, ours was shoal draft.. The bilges are shallow which is unfortunate but that's one of the drawbacks to the design. Make sure you check to see that the bulkhead between the anchor locker and deck is properly sealed...mine wasn't. It's not a big deal to do but it is a big deal in heavy seas underway.
The boat is a very capable offshore boat and makes good 24 hour runs. We sailed ours from Vancouver to Mexico-Hawaii-Vancouver and it was a wonderful passage maker.
Of all the 36 footers out there the CS36 would be right near the top of the list when it came to a boat that sailed well and put on good mileage as well as being built properly.
If you do decide to buy one your free to pm me if you want to discuss the boat in more detail. Good luck in your boat search.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:03   #3

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me. Its quite clear the boats enjoy a pretty good reputation overall. I was leaning to avoiding the shoal but honestly after talking to both you and MaineSail over on sailnet I am considering again. I have the ability to trailer to my property and store inside, would be a lot easier to clear the wires with the shoal... also my wharf has about 5' for 3 hrs either side of high tide. Neither of these factors have to do with sailing and wouldn't make my decision, however it would be nice. We are coming from Bayfield 29 3' draft you can basically drive it up on the beach. Ha. Thanks for the info and will hold on to your contact. Glad you like the boat R
Old 09-07-2020, 08:06   #4

And re. the locker I picked up on that. Have you modified for your chain to sit below with the windlass in the factory locker up top? I see this is a popular project. Definitely would want to seal that bulkhead. I think you would seal the access hatch from the v berth permanently or install something a lot stronger than the wooden factory access panel?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:11   #5

Well.... how "shoal" is it? Hard to say without knowing.
The standard is 6-3 draft I guess? That's doable on some of the ICW but not in other areas. Most of ICW south of Morehead City probably OK.
Shoal would be better and much better for the Bahamas. The rest of the E. Caribe not a problem for either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft