Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2009, 17:04   #1

CSY 44 Portholes

I am nearing the total restoration of my CSY 44 ( walk-over) and trying to locate a supplier for the portholes on my vessel, does anyone have a contact.
Mike Cunningham
S/V Kanaloa
Kaneohe ,Hi
kanaloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The CSY group is quite alive and well on topica.com. The company is of course long since dead. The ports are not easily obtained. Gaskets for the ports can be had but you need to make a template as they were not all the same. Tampa Rubber has done a few and you could contact them. I don't have the exact contact details.

The bronze ports are almost impossible to destroy but at about this time the gaskets if original could be shot. You want a quality rubber gasket as the old ones get hard and you need mechanical leverage to tighten them down enough so they won't leak. Just be sure they also don't need to be rebedded. That is not unusual on any boat after 30 years. Restoring the ports should be possible without replacement.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 12:31   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Hi, Mike - As Paul said, the bronze ports in the forward portion of the boat are virtually impossible to destroy. I'm still using the original gaskets (so far as I know) and have no leaks (unless I forget to dog them dowm tight in a major storm).
I have replaced ALL of the cheap plastic ports in the aft cabin with stainless units, including the three actoss the transom. (Changing those three fixed ports over to opening has made a WORLD of difference in the aft cabin ventilation.) I found a source three or four years ago on-line. The guy had bought up the leftover stock from the factory that made ports for Island Packet. I only paid around $90 or so for each one, and they are real beauties. Those on the sides fit right in (well, almost) but I did have to do some enlarging of the openings on the transom. I've been told that Newfound Metals has decent stainless opening ports that can be adapted to our boats in the aft cabin.
I, too, had heard that the outfit in FL that Paul mentioned can supply new gaskets for the bronze ports.
Good luck, and if I can offer any help feel free to contact me directly.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:35   #4

Harry&Paul

Thank you both very much for the in depth response to my request for info about the CSY portholes. I have already contacted New Found Metals and I'm on my way to replacing the acrylic ports in the aft cabin. Also , you are correct, the bronze ports throughout the rest of the vessel are bullet proof and will outlast the hull!
On another positive note, I am thrilled to have found this Cruisers and Sailors forum-dont know how I have survived all of these years of boating without this valuable resource .
Mahalo nui loa,
Mike Cunningham
S/V Kanaloa- Kaneohe ,Hi
kanaloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you have not found it already. This is the only dedicated CSY list I know of:

Topica Email List Directory
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy