Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 21:01   #1

Boat: 43' Bruce Roberts Ketch
Custom Aluminum Ketch King 38

Ive seen this boat listed for a while now,http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Custom-Aluminum-Ketch-King-38--bring-All-Offers!!!----------As-Is-Where-Is/117126021

Opinions???

Here is the text from the broker's site;
"Islay was built at Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, by the Engineering faculty. Very early, if not the first all aluminum boat built in Canada. Purchased by current owner with plan to cruise to Scotland, and equipped for a transatlantic passage. Not a plush cruiser for the ARC rally, Islay is a working boat for expeditions. Very rugged construction and pragmatic accomodation and system layout above and below deck. Owner says she's ready to go offshore. Looking for a boat to do some serious offshore miles? Lying in Toronto."

So, what do you think? Suitable for a modest live aboard refit? How about dumping 30-40k into her for a bluewater cruising?
Rob Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Custom Aluminum Ketch King 38

Good grief, I know this boat. It's definitely a 'working boat', meaning it's mighty rough by current standards. I also was nearby when its eight-foot centerboard smashed into an obstacle in the National YC a few years ago, getting stuck in the process. So you want to make sure that's fixed.

Also, as I recall, it's powered by a Ailsa Craig Diesel, a long-extinct "big 'n' stupid" make (like Thornycroft, Gray, Petter and Lister). "Big 'n' stupid" in this context is desirable in a cruiser, as it indicates in my usage a low-RPM, very torque-oriented, naturally aspirated 800 lb. beast that has compression levers and can be started on one cylinder. I recall seeing it hauled off the boat and it looked like Victor Frankenstein's genset.

Point being that even if it's been rebuilt, it's quite old and may be problematic in terms of repair and spares.

As a liveaboard, I dunno. It's big enough for one, but is likely considerably narrower than current boats, and probably has the "dark, deep and narrow" cabin of that era.

OK, I just saw the pictures, and the blindingly white interior mitigates against the gloom a fair bit.

On the plus side, an aluminum boat that hasn't disintegrated in 50 years is probably successfully galvanically isolated. And a ketch is a great short-handed cruising rig.

The boat's on the hard at Uli Ertel's Pier 35 off Cherry St. at Commissioners. Turn left after the gate and head toward the crane. Islay is in front of the boat of the booze cruiser Enterprise 2000. Can't miss it.

See? CF works!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 14:27   #3

Boat: 43' Bruce Roberts Ketch
Re: Custom Aluminum Ketch King 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

See? CF works!
It certainly does
Rob Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote