Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 10:06   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Custom and Semi-Custom Boats

Are custom boats worth it? Longer wait, higher price, resale value, etc.
Lets face it, custom boats are only "custom" to the original purchaser. It's just another off the shelf boat to the second buyer so is it really financially prudent to spend 50% more for "custom" when it loses that value once wet?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 13:34   #2

Boat: 2020 Amel 50
Re: Custom and Semi-Custom Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Lets face it, custom boats are only "custom" to the original purchaser. It's just another off the shelf boat to the second buyer so is it really financially prudent to spend 50% more for "custom" when it loses that value once wet?
if you're only decision criteria is pure monetary value buying new almost never makes sense...

you buy new for personal reasons.. for some it's status, for some it truly is about getting EXACTLY what they want, for some they falsely assume no issues for a few years like a car which is never true on a boat... for some it's peace of mind that nothing stupid has been done before you..

in the end it's what matters to you.
Old 31-07-2020, 13:36   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I don't think it's financially prudent to buy a boat.

But build quality and attention to detail will always be better when it comes to custom, hand built boats, assuming it is a reputable builder. I'd say to some, hell yes it's worth it. To others, not at all.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Are custom boats worth it?
Absolutely. If you have the opportunity, go for it.

My only caution is that it could be a difficult process unless you have some experience sailing, using, maintaining and living on a similar vessel. Also be aware the building process is very enjoyable, but it is time consuming. Don’t underestimate the effort involved.

There are all types of variations. Some use a custom build to construct a very typical vessel, but incorporating a higher quality of construction and components. Others build a very specific vessel, often when nothing remotely suitable would otherwise be available.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Absolutely. If you have the opportunity, go for it.

My only caution is that it could be a difficult process unless you have some experience sailing, using, maintaining and living on a similar vessel. Also be aware the building process is very enjoyable, but it is time consuming. Don’t underestimate the effort involved.

There are all types of variations. Some use a custom build to construct a very typical vessel, but incorporating a higher quality of construction and components. Others build a very specific vessel, often when nothing remotely suitable would otherwise be available.
I built my 15' catboat myself and it was an enjoyable process. Nothing was available like it on the market so had to build. 600 hour build time over 2 year period. I would NEVER attempt a large boat build myself.

A semi custom might be the safer and less expensive route. Ability to tweak a proved design and spec the equipment is appealing to me. Not many builders offer that.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I was referring to having a custom boat built by a professional boat yard, rather than building it yourself.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I was referring to having a custom boat built by a professional boat yard, rather than building it yourself.
So was I.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:36   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

everything on a boat can be corrected, with the proper application of cash

I feel in the boating world semi and custom boats loss their price the fastest. But if you have the cash and are willing to spend it to have just what you want, don't let strangers on a boat forum talk you out of it.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:47   #9

I don't think Custom are worth it at all. I've done it. It's an unreliable industry with poor estimating skill, unreliable workers, and lead times that often turn out double or triple. In the end, a boat interior is like a balloon, expand it one place, it gets smaller another place. Most designs are pretty well thought out.
Further, you may end up wishing you did some interior thing different after using the boat you waited so long for and fought so hard to get done and done right anyway.
Not to mention custom boats devalue faster than even a cheap, but well known production boat.
If it's a one off custom you also risk that the design has quirks. Many a marine architect was surprised his boat didn't float on it's lines, had terrible weather helm etc. It's as much an art as a science.
Pick a boat that's close and work with it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:08   #10

I had a custom power boat built and the build quality was just as poor as a production built boat.

I am considering another custom build - a blue water vessel - in the coming years. Yes I would do it again, but it makes NO monetary sense at all. You are throwing money away in huge bags and you know it.
mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I had a custom power boat built and the build quality was just as poor as a production built boat.

I am considering another custom build - a blue water vessel - in the coming years. Yes I would do it again, but it makes NO monetary sense at all. You are throwing money away in huge bags and you know it.
Yep. But it might be worth it.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:16   #12

Yes, that’s exactly right.

But you have to know going into it that your vessel is worth about 50% less the second you launch it, versus a name production boat which is worth about 10-20% less. Plus you have a smaller pool of buyers.

Some things we do in life are not about money. If you’re concerned about cash then buy a vacation home, but not a boat or a car or an RV. I think most here would agree.
mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Yes, that’s exactly right.

But you have to know going into it that your vessel is worth about 50% less the second you launch it, versus a name production boat which is worth about 10-20% less. Plus you have a smaller pool of buyers.

Some things we do in life are not about money. If you’re concerned about cash then buy a vacation home, but not a boat or a car or an RV. I think most here would agree.
Yes, agreed.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:13   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

If you cannot get what you want in an 'off the shelf' boat, you get a custom or semi-custom one.

Many EU boats are in fact semi-custom. E.g. Ovni, Rustler, etc.

whether it is worth it or not is 100 a personal thing. Worth it for me implies nothing for anybody else.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:29   #15

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Depends on what you have done, if it’s unique and has a broad range appeal, it should help in resale, as yours would be the only one like that.

If it’s something others wouldn’t care about, or even worse like, well
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat