Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 10:21   #16

Re: Dana 24 or Com-Pac 23 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoyce View Post
Hi Cheechako -
What did you mean by I might like the Compac better but "it aint going to weather very well"?
The Compac profile is a pretty shallow keel design. Most often that limits the ability to into the wind well. Probably designed for trailering ease.
Light weight in light typical summer Puget Sound winds may be good though. Althoguh if you venture in the Straight of Juan de Fuca it can blow very hard in the summer.Maybe it depends on if you are a winter/cold weather sailor also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:29   #17

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The Compac profile is a pretty shallow keel design. Most often that limits the ability to into the wind well. Probably designed for trailering ease.
Light weight in light typical summer Puget Sound winds may be good though. Althoguh if you venture in the Straight of Juan de Fuca it can blow very hard in the summer.Maybe it depends on if you are a winter/cold weather sailor also.
We certainly intend to go out more in winter/cold weather. Our Potter isn't very enjoyable under those conditions. We'd like to take her up to the San Juans (from our Olympia homeport),which is farther than we'd feel comfortable going in the Potter.
CBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:32   #18

I think either boat is capable. I was a bit surprised how light the Compac was in the specs, but OTOH, the Dana is shown as being very heavy... for only 24 ft. The people I sailed with's Dana was a C-flex cored hull and supposedly very light, so may not be a good example.

Old 20-06-2017, 10:34   #19

Getting out and onto the boats will make a huge difference in what you think. One can look at specs too much! Standing headroom can be a big consideration....

Old 20-06-2017, 11:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Getting out and onto the boats will make a huge difference in what you think. One can look at specs too much! Standing headroom can be a big consideration....
Especially in the head!
Old 20-06-2017, 13:38   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

I really don't get the point that a Dana is good for the PNW because it will handle tough weather. The OP is in Olympia at the bottom of the Puget Sound. It is a long way in confined waters with lots of current to get to the San Juan islands, aka the cruising grounds. Who wants to be in a boat that does not point well, and may even be hard to tack, while it is blowing like stink in confined waters with additional limiting shipping lanes?
No matter what time of year you are cruising in the PNW the majority of it is done in lighter winds or tucked in an anchorage.
Old 20-06-2017, 17:27   #22

Boat: Island Packet 349

I had a smaller Com-Pac Eclipse. It was very slow, about 4 to 4.5 knots at good conditions, and pounded more than I cared. My comfort limit in Biscane Bay was at around 4 foot chop, after that it was getting progressively uncomfortable. It could hardly take 6 foot waves in the ocean.

A pilot house, however, is very tempting (I just returned from Seattle where it rained about 1/3 of my visit). Still, between these two, I would choose the Dana.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 17:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I really don't get the point that a Dana is good for the PNW because it will handle tough weather. The OP is in Olympia at the bottom of the Puget Sound. It is a long way in confined waters with lots of current to get to the San Juan islands, aka the cruising grounds. Who wants to be in a boat that does not point well, and may even be hard to tack, while it is blowing like stink in confined waters with additional limiting shipping lanes?
No matter what time of year you are cruising in the PNW the majority of it is done in lighter winds or tucked in an anchorage.
Pretty true. But the OP does say he wants to do winter sailing too. For the high $ of a Dana, maybe he should get more waterline, like a Cat 30 for 1/3 the cost. He could spend a whole vacation getting to the san juans from Olympia in a small boat!

Old 21-06-2017, 03:47   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you are headed for the PNW I would have thought a Fisher 25 ought to be on the shopping list of possible yachts. I sail in a similar climate

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 06:47   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
I realize the difference. The Dana speaks more to my desire for comfort and the Compac to my husband's desire to be able to sail in all (Puget Sound) weather. Trailerable is not an issue as we will keep the boat in a slip year round, ready to go.

A big issue is how easy either would be for us older folks to handle. We came to sailing late in life (our 60s) and would like to keep going as long as possible.
It may be counterintuitive but in some ways smaller boats can be harder to handle than larger boats, especially when your a little less spry than you used to be. Small boats have less deck space & can list when you go forward. They also respond quicker to waves meaning they can move around a lot. However, if you're keeping the boat in the water anyway I'd be looking for something in the 30' range. More stable, roomy & comfortable but with similar expenses to the Dana. Over 30' the sails start getting big & the expenses start to mount.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 08:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you are headed for the PNW I would have thought a Fisher 25 ought to be on the shopping list of possible yachts. I sail in a similar climate

Pete

Did consider it, but the F25 is harder to find here.
Old 21-06-2017, 08:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It may be counterintuitive but in some ways smaller boats can be harder to handle than larger boats, especially when your a little less spry than you used to be. Small boats have less deck space & can list when you go forward. They also respond quicker to waves meaning they can move around a lot. However, if you're keeping the boat in the water anyway I'd be looking for something in the 30' range. More stable, roomy & comfortable but with similar expenses to the Dana. Over 30' the sails start getting big & the expenses start to mount.
I get that, especially after taking our Potter out yesterday in choppy water. But slip fees for 30' year round? Yikes.
Old 21-06-2017, 08:17   #28

Quote:
I get that, especially after taking our Potter out yesterday in choppy water. But slip fees for 30' year round? Yikes.
One thing... if that is a concern, find out the slip sizes where you want to be. For instance, some marinas have 30 ft slips and larger. Even with a 24 boat you will be paying for 30 ft. Or some may have 22 ft slips and the next up is 30 ft. Most marinas don't allow over length from the specified slip size.
Another sturdy little boat is the Bayfield 25, although they are a bit hard to come by. The Bayfield has an inboard engine, which is a big plus.

There are 2 in BC Canada.

Bayfield 25 Length: 25' Beam: 8' Draft: 3' Year: 1975Type: cruiserHull: fiberglass monohullEngine: 1 gas inboard Location: Fish Hawk Bay Marina on Kootenay Lake, near Crawford Bay, BC, Outside United States Asking: $15,000Sailboat Added 15-Jul-2008 More Details
Bayfield 25 Length: 25' Beam: 8' Draft: 3' Year: 1975Type: motorsailerHull: fiberglass monohullEngine: 1 gas inboard Location: Dry docked at property near Cranbrook BC Seller will trailer to new location at own cost up to 500 km within Canada, Outside United States Asking: $9,000Sailboat Added 06-May-2013 More Details

Old 21-06-2017, 08:37   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

I really like the Dana but would go for a Catalina 30 with a full enclosure. The Compac 23 will be small in comparison with the wheel taking up space. Other options would be a Gulf 32 or 29. Still in the park price wise.

1986 Capital Gulf 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 08:46   #30

Boat: Scout 30

Remember slip fees are based on LOA, not LOD. Considering the overall cost of boat ownership the difference in slip fees is usually not a big deal. Here's one of my favorite pilothouse sailboats:

1986 Cape Dory 300 Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote