Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 08:16   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Danny green chameleon nesting dinghy

Not sure what you mean by "flatter" but this is a well proven design with certainly no less than 100 built. I have probably seen 20-30 myself.
Old 17-11-2015, 11:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We are considering an aluminum mast (2" OD tubing). Not sure how strong it would be but likely strong enough for use on the days we would be sailing. A solid wooden mast ends up being very heavy. The one you are doing looks very neat, but a considerable amount of work.

It's actually very easy to make if you have a table saw. I was told to look a making a fingerboard to aid keeping everything lined up and also clamp a guide on the top. With those in place and a few test strips it was very quick. Took about 10 minutes to cut the 8 strips. You would take much longer than that to shape the solid wood mast as per the plans. Again I only purchased the table saw for this boat project and just googled how to rip wood in one. If you plane the back on the top 3 or 4 ft of the mast strips you then get a tapered mast. I was really surprised how easy all my mast strips were to make and with a couple of jigs I could even assemble it myself. I am yet to glue it as I was waiting on some more glue powder for epoxy to arrive. I will get a friend to assist on the day. The mast is only 10 ft and it's a sprit rig. I will make the sail out of an old sail from my boat.

Again I could have used an old windsurfer mast I have under the house but I wouldn't learn new skills that way and it would be no where near as satisfying. Give it a go. It really is simple and quick.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 11:39   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

I said flatter I meant flatter bottom - Optimist like. Will the design be more initially stable then?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 12:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I said flatter I meant flatter bottom - Optimist like. Will the design be more initially stable then?

b.
I can't really comment on it's stability just yet as it hasn't been in the water. The aft end is fairly flat and from just forward of midships it curves up a fair bit. I think this aids in the handling of the boat. I did look at quite a few designs before settling on this one. What attracted me to it was the beautiful lines versus the flat bottom ones that were around. When you see photos of one sailing it just looks so natural and comfortable on the water. Its reasonably beamy (4ft) for a 10ft boat too which will help.
Old 17-11-2015, 12:42   #35

Boat: Pearson Triton

I also built a two-paw nesting dinghy a few years ago. I think the Chameleon is probably a better design but slightly larger. I would like mine a lot more if I could assemble it in the water as Dawntreader has figured out, but I haven't had much success (probably has more to do with me than the design!).

I did not build the sailing version but in retrospect...should have!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two-paw1.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	113228   Click image for larger version

Name:	two-paw3.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	113229  

vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 16:12   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I can't really comment on it's stability just yet as it hasn't been in the water. The aft end is fairly flat and from just forward of midships it curves up a fair bit. I think this aids in the handling of the boat. I did look at quite a few designs before settling on this one. What attracted me to it was the beautiful lines versus the flat bottom ones that were around. When you see photos of one sailing it just looks so natural and comfortable on the water. Its reasonably beamy (4ft) for a 10ft boat too which will help.
It would be great if you find time to comment on your test ride when it happens.

Why I am asking about stability is because I want a dinghy like this but we gave up on a similar design, after a test ride. We normally use an inflatable to commute and the apparent 'loss of stability' (only by comparison to the dinghy) was a killer. On the other hand, an Opti (which is completely flat) seems almost as stable as an inflatable, so I know somewhere there is that nesting dinghy that I will get.

Big hug, THX for sharing,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 21:28   #37

Boat: Casacde 36

It's pretty stable. My wife had a knee replacement and she can just step over to the gunwale before climbing up the boarding ladder. When I sail it, I just sit on the longitudinal seat, no need to hike out. We've also hauled, 4 smaller adults, two propane tanks, two weeks laundry and a load of groceries, in one trip. Anchored out in Nanaimo, BC, about a mile or so off the docks. I can stand on one of the aft flotation chambers and it hasn't tipped. I usually just walk forward and step the mast too.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 05:49   #38

I've been sitting on plans for a couple years and should be getting around to building next month. I have an old cut down 470 mast I will likely be using for the rig.

Just a couple thoughts for the OP, you'll have to glue up the mast in one shot so be organized and try to visualize ever step before you start. Have everything laid out including a convenient trash can for disposables. I would recommend using a slow hardener as the last thing you wan is to have the epoxy kick off with the thing half assembled. Don't forget gloves and safety glasses. Safety first!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 19:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We are about 90% done our build of one of these. Time consuming but basically not that hard to do. Building a second one would be easier for sure.
Hi,

you wouldn't happen to have any photos of how you did the centreboard case area? The plans are a little vague around how to make the "key" that slots into the case from the aft section. I cut the slot out as per the plans but someone else said that I shouldn't have cut so much away. I have to make up the insert and "key" as per the plans but the measurements don't quite stack up. A photo of yours would go a long way to assisting me. thanks
Old 23-11-2015, 19:59   #40

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1448337486.304365.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	113677

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1448337527.536609.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	113678

Tested out the nesting.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1448337571.787384.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	113679
Old 23-11-2015, 20:02   #41

The centreboard case "key" instructions and drawing

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1448337672.767953.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	113680

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1448337718.434866.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	113681
Old 28-11-2015, 10:51   #42

Boat: Wauqueiz Pretorian 35

I recently purchased these plans and am getting ready to build. I read that you may need to "beef" up the transom if using an outboard as over time it could start cracking. Did you do anything to strengthen up the transom?
AMFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:36   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFE View Post
I recently purchased these plans and am getting ready to build. I read that you may need to "beef" up the transom if using an outboard as over time it could start cracking. Did you do anything to strengthen up the transom?
I didn't really do much except an extra layer of cloth on the inside and outside of the transom as well as the seams where it joins the sides and floor. When I was taping up the keel seam inside and out I also ran that tape up the transom.

Good luck you will have a lot of fun. Don't cut the nesting bulkheads and front buoyancy tank bulkhead until you get to that stage as for me they were not quite right and I needed to cut new ones. Cardboard templates help.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:45   #44

Boat: Casacde 36

I just added the extra layer of 1/4 inch ply to the inside of the transom, as per the plans. Since I use a 2 HP motor, it has not created problems in three years of relativlely heavy use. You may have to add a little spacer, to the outboard bracket, to allow for the thickness of the outer gunwale strake, so that the motor sill sit flat against it.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 13:20   #45

I have a nesting dinghy almost complete. I'll gather up some more pictures. Looking to part ways with the dinghy so if your interested send a message. Located in Alberta.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0762.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	113987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	113988  

PacificGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags