Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2023, 03:41   #1

Day sailer??? Name

Can anybody tell me what is this little boat?? Day sailer... (sail does not go to top of mast)! Jus about to acquire.. But can't find it anywhere online. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230822-WA0000.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	280038  
Sophiemahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 05:54   #2

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Day sailer??? Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiemahe View Post
Can anybody tell me what is this little boat?? Day sailer... (sail does not go to top of mast)! Jus about to acquire.. But can't find it anywhere online. Thank you.
I would look for a plate on the deck, inside the cockpit, or outside transom starboard side if it is new enough to have a HIN type number. If the former owner had any sort of registration, the make and length and year should be declared.

The logo on the sail above the number would be a tell also, but if the sail is not original to the boat (a reason it does not fit right) it could be a false friend.

Looks like a fun little boat, easy to rig and manage. My kid has an Omega 14 which is a model or two before the Catalina 14.2, very similar to the pic above which is more styled in the coaming and transom. If the boat has wire and rope rigging, be careful as the wires could be frayed and cut one's hands.
Old 24-08-2023, 08:08   #3

Re: Day sailer??? Name

Sophie:

The garden in which the boat sits looks very English or even the east cost of Ireland-ish. I would assume that the boat is a recognized "class boat" that was, in her youth, actively raced in "One Design" races.

She looks a lot like Jack Holt's "Enterprise", but the curvature of the upper edge of the transom is wrong for that. Nor is she a "Flying Junior". However, if you contact a local sailing club near where you live, they will be more likely than we to give you valid answer because "One Design" racing has been popular in England/Ireland for a long time.

Even in Birmingham dinghies were raced on "The Reservoir" under club auspices. I'm sure the all-knowing Miss Google would be able to give you contact information for the club. If you happen to be in Ireland, perhaps there might be profit in looking up the Wexford club:

https://www.visitwexford.ie/director...d-tennis-club/

As others have said the sail is not original so you can ignore what you find there. I think it is most likely that the boat hasn't strayed far from where she was sailed, so ask your local enthusiasts.

All the best to you :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail