Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2022, 07:32   #46

Boat: Rhodes, Abeking & Rasmussen, yawl, 36'
Re: Day Sailers for New York Harbor and Long Island Sound?

I sailed NY Harbor, professionally, every summer, since 1987.

Contrary to one commenter, size does matter! Not so much for the sailing but the absolutely necessary horsepower to motor against the current of the Hudson River and tidal flow both inbound and outbound.

Smallest I recommend is a Catalina 22 with a 9.9 hp, even better a C-25 with a 15.

Big applause to the comment "join a local sailing school." Generally speaking, you're going to be on a J-24 and limited to the lower Hudson and upper bay. No LIS, primarily because the East River is no place for even advanced new sailors due to hellascious currents and large, limited in maneuverability tugs, barges.

Winds are delightful in the upper bay. Prevailing southwesterlies all summer about 12 to 18 and the skyline view from the water without peer!
Atlanticsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 08:36   #47

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I'm in Liberty Landing Marina in New Jersey... right by lower Manhattan on the NYC harbor.

Let me know if you ever want to go out and I'll show you some cool and calm places to sail around. I have a Jeanneau SO409, so a little bigger, but still fun.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 11:10   #48

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was going to add the Santana 22 to your list, but someone already has. They are tough little boats that have withstood the test of time for 50 years.

The big advantage of the Catalina 22 is that it is much easier to put and take out on a launch ramp. It is a very popular beginners boat for lake sailing, but can take all but the worst weather on LIS.

A J24 has a transom mounted rudder and a fractional rig. The rudder mountings have broken, and the boats have sunk when pressed hard without the washboards in.

Don't overthink sailing around NYC harbor and going through Hells Gate. If you pick you weather and time you will have no problems.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 12:24   #49

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hey AtlanticSailing! I wonder if we crossed tracks. I worked as a pro out of City Island from 85 thru 90. Did some NY Harbor sailing then when that was a new thing to do. Good body of water. Did a couple J24 regattas at Manhattan YC. We moved the J24 down from City Island in the East River wasn't too bad but certainly not recreational. The big harbor is glorious.

Personally, I think a Catalina 22 is too slow to enjoy in the big harbor. My daughter had an ODay 240 on LIS which seemed about as small as practical if you want to go anywhere. She has 30 footer with a diesel now.

Keep well, Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 14:38   #50

Boat: Hake 32RK

Raritan bay will be a bigger better place to learn and give you plenty of places to explore on NJ an NY sides
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Amateur, Beginner, Cal22, Catalina 27, crazy, first sailboat, learning the ropes, Long Island, long island sound, money money money, new york, newbie, sail, sailing club